The Student Room Group

AS levels and Oxbridge

Hi ,

I just got my AS levels and was disappointed because my teachers had recommended I apply for Oxbridge but I got a C in politics- 1 mark off a B. I got As (roughly 90% each) in my other subjects, German, Economics and History so my question is, is Oxbridge now out of the question? I know Oxford don't focus to the same extent as Cambridge do on As levels but would it be impossible to have a chance even if I got AAAB (presuming I go up a mark or so if I get my politics paper remarked)? I was predicted an A in politics and told the grade boundaries were very low but apparently 69% is still a C.

Please shed some light if possible,

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JNDSAN
Hi ,

I just got my AS levels and was disappointed because my teachers had recommended I apply for Oxbridge but I got a C in politics- 1 mark off a B. I got As (roughly 90% each) in my other subjects, German, Economics and History so my question is, is Oxbridge now out of the question? I know Oxford don't focus to the same extent as Cambridge do on As levels but would it be impossible to have a chance even if I got AAAB (presuming I go up a mark or so if I get my politics paper remarked)? I was predicted an A in politics and told the grade boundaries were very low but apparently 69% is still a C.

Please shed some light if possible,

Thanks

Hi,

You'll have better luck looking in our Oxbridge forum (or Oxford specifically) as there's information there on what they look for! :smile:
Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 3
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford too, and I've heard loads of admissions tutors talking and mostly they say they don't mind if you have a slip up in your AS's. Obviously they look at your grades, but they also look at the admissions tests and the interview and your personal statement, and if you did well in your other subjects (really well by the sounds of it!) I don't think they'd just rule you out for the one C. Everyone has bad days, and one tutor said they're looking at your interest in your subject and your academic potential, and one exam result doesn't change who you are and how you work etc.
It does depend on what you're applying for, and I'd talk to your teachers about it too, but I don't think you should rule it out just yet!
Good luck :smile:
thanks, and good luck with your application :smile: just an update if anyone wants to know, I was in cambridge the other day and stopped by one of the college's admissions office and had the opportunity to speak to their chief admissions officer for over an hour! She said that because Politics wasn't vital for reading German, it would be fine- she made it clear that cambridge don't look for a "well rounded individual" to quote her, but they want real excellence in the subject they've chosen. She said the admissions test and the interview as well as the reference etc was the most important :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest