The Student Room Group

French or Economics to drop? Help!

Okay, so I got my AS results today and I got AAA in sociology, politics and general studies and then I got 2 raw marks from an A in French and then a really disappointing C in my Economics.

I absolutely hated French and when I took my written paper for the first time in January I got a well deserved E. But retaking it this time I got a B in my written and an A in my oral. I don't know if I could cope with A2.

I really enjoy Economics and I thought I'd do so well in Jan micro paper and I got an E because I answered it in a macro perspective. So, I retook and took my macro aswell and I got a B in micro and a C in macro. That's honestly so disappointing to me and A2 involves a lot more maths and maths isn't my strong point at all.

However, one of the courses I'm applying for at uni is PPE at Manchester which is AAB but no required subjects. But will it look bad if I drop Eco? and can I resit my AS modules if I drop it next year?

Thank you! Hope you're all happy with your results (:
You can resit modules next year even if you drop the subject. :smile:

Personally, I would drop French in your position! You said yourself that you hated the subject, and it only gets harder at A2 level. I never encourage people to study subjects they don't like. :tongue:
It's a decision you've got to come to for yourself, tbh. Just ask yourself which you'll enjoy more: French, or economics with the extra maths? :smile:

If there are no required subjects, dropping economics isn't going to count against you, but the fact that it's a C make, depending on what they're looking for from the 4th AS!
Original post by lucysutton
Okay, so I got my AS results today and I got AAA in sociology, politics and general studies and then I got 2 raw marks from an A in French and then a really disappointing C in my Economics.

I absolutely hated French and when I took my written paper for the first time in January I got a well deserved E. But retaking it this time I got a B in my written and an A in my oral. I don't know if I could cope with A2.

I really enjoy Economics and I thought I'd do so well in Jan micro paper and I got an E because I answered it in a macro perspective. So, I retook and took my macro aswell and I got a B in micro and a C in macro. That's honestly so disappointing to me and A2 involves a lot more maths and maths isn't my strong point at all.

However, one of the courses I'm applying for at uni is PPE at Manchester which is AAB but no required subjects. But will it look bad if I drop Eco? and can I resit my AS modules if I drop it next year?

Thank you! Hope you're all happy with your results (:

If you've looking to study PPE at university, Economics at A-Level is likely to be very helpful, even if it's not formally required. If you don't enjoy French I wouldn't recommend continuing with that - you'll be less likely to be motivated to work hard at it, for example. Speak to your teachers, but if you enjoy Economics that's probably a good option to continue with. Consider whether you think you could improve on the B and C grades with your work next year.
Reply 3
Thank you, that's what I was hoping people would say since I said from the very start I wasn't taking French even if I got 100% in it and a U in something else ahaha :smile:

Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest