The Student Room Group

Switching to economics

In my sixth form I am studying maths ,further maths, physics and chemistry. However I recently applied to drop chemistry and study economics instead. These were my GCSES:

Maths 8
Physics 8
Biology 7
Chemistry 7
French 6
English 7
English 8
History 7
Business 5

However, my business grade is a 5 (102/180). With this in mind should I study economics, as what makes my blood boil is I was predicted an 8 and got an 8 in mocks.
Original post by Kingdragon
In my sixth form I am studying maths ,further maths, physics and chemistry. However I recently applied to drop chemistry and study economics instead. These were my GCSES:

Maths 8
Physics 8
Biology 7
Chemistry 7
French 6
English 7
English 8
History 7
Business 5

However, my business grade is a 5 (102/180). With this in mind should I study economics, as what makes my blood boil is I was predicted an 8 and got an 8 in mocks.

Those are some decent grades.

I have questions:

What degree do you want to do?

Why out of the blue do you want to switch to economics and drop chemistry?

Why economics out of all the other subjects you could have picked?

Other than the main career you're thinking of, what are the other careers that you have in mind?

How much research have you done on the careers that you want to get into?

The main thing I would bear in mind is that economics is not a required subject whereas chemistry is. Whilst I don't think you're losing out that much should you switch chemistry for economics, I can't particularly see the advantage of doing so unless you're telling me off the bat that you will definitely get significantly better grades with economics than chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest