The Student Room Group

Should I drop Biology?

Hello! I'm currently in my second week of A-Levels studying Further Maths, Physics and Biology, but ever since I started the course, i've found myself wanting to drop Biology.

I was initially interested in studying Biology because I enjoyed a lot of the GCSE topics, however after a few lessons, I've realised that I am not interested in the AS unit content at all. I've found that the content is very similar to Chemistry (biochemistry), which is a subject I have never really enjoyed. I've also struggled with remembering all the content which had been gone over in lessons. I do understand that all A Levels are a huge step up from GCSEs, but i'm not enjoying this subject at all and it's causing me to stress out a lot already in the first few weeks. My teacher has told me that based on my GCSE grade and the type of student I am that I'd have no problem with the course, however I am struggling to enjoy it at the same time and these first few lessons have put me off the couse completely. She also told me that the course seems to get easier, but I don't know if that's enough to convince me to stay on.

After some research on my school's website I haven't found myself drawn to any of the other subjects I could opt for, mainly because they don't pair well with my other A Levels, but also because I don't enjoy them. So my other course of action would be to drop the subject completely.

I have around a fortnight before the school is locking the subjects in, so I'd appreciate any advice you may have for me. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ricey2536
Hello! I'm currently in my second week of A-Levels studying Further Maths, Physics and Biology, but ever since I started the course, i've found myself wanting to drop Biology.

I was initially interested in studying Biology because I enjoyed a lot of the GCSE topics, however after a few lessons, I've realised that I am not interested in the AS unit content at all. I've found that the content is very similar to Chemistry (biochemistry), which is a subject I have never really enjoyed. I've also struggled with remembering all the content which had been gone over in lessons. I do understand that all A Levels are a huge step up from GCSEs, but i'm not enjoying this subject at all and it's causing me to stress out a lot already in the first few weeks. My teacher has told me that based on my GCSE grade and the type of student I am that I'd have no problem with the course, however I am struggling to enjoy it at the same time and these first few lessons have put me off the couse completely. She also told me that the course seems to get easier, but I don't know if that's enough to convince me to stay on.

After some research on my school's website I haven't found myself drawn to any of the other subjects I could opt for, mainly because they don't pair well with my other A Levels, but also because I don't enjoy them. So my other course of action would be to drop the subject completely.

I have around a fortnight before the school is locking the subjects in, so I'd appreciate any advice you may have for me. Thank you :smile:

Hi! I've just done my A-level exams for biology, and I definitely found the start of year 12 quite difficult in terms of the content because it seemed to be quite different to GCSE and more similar to Chemistry (which I already found hard). However, the content definitely gets more interesting and I especially enjoyed the content about human biology eg heart/lungs. Although the processes can seem very complicated at first (I did OCR by the way), there are lots of resources which I found explained the content really well eg BioRach on youtube. I think the jump between GCSEs and A-levels is quite hard for many subjects including biology but it definitely gets easier at the end of year 13 once you've learnt everything.

In terms of dropping the subject, would you be able to drop it at the end of year 12 if you decided that you weren't enjoying it/ found it too hard or does your school only let you drop subjects now? If you have to drop it now, just consider whether the remaining 2 A-levels meet the requirements of the courses that you may want to apply to. Also since you take Further Maths and Physics, would you consider taking Maths as it's quite similar, or perhaps an AS in another subject eg a language/arts/economics/history (depending on your preferences/ what your school offers).

Hope this helps/ lmk if you have any other questions about A-level biology :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by d3rin13
Hi! I've just done my A-level exams for biology, and I definitely found the start of year 12 quite difficult in terms of the content because it seemed to be quite different to GCSE and more similar to Chemistry (which I already found hard). However, the content definitely gets more interesting and I especially enjoyed the content about human biology eg heart/lungs. Although the processes can seem very complicated at first (I did OCR by the way), there are lots of resources which I found explained the content really well eg BioRach on youtube. I think the jump between GCSEs and A-levels is quite hard for many subjects including biology but it definitely gets easier at the end of year 13 once you've learnt everything.

In terms of dropping the subject, would you be able to drop it at the end of year 12 if you decided that you weren't enjoying it/ found it too hard or does your school only let you drop subjects now? If you have to drop it now, just consider whether the remaining 2 A-levels meet the requirements of the courses that you may want to apply to. Also since you take Further Maths and Physics, would you consider taking Maths as it's quite similar, or perhaps an AS in another subject eg a language/arts/economics/history (depending on your preferences/ what your school offers).

Hope this helps/ lmk if you have any other questions about A-level biology :smile:

Thank you, I'll be sure to check the resources mentioned.

I would be able to drop it at the end of year 12, however it's the entire year 12 course that I'm not interested in anymore. The year 13 course sounds fairly interesting, but I'm not sure whether that's enough to convince me to stay on. The Further Maths course counts as two A Levels since we complete the Maths A level in year 12, and Further in year 13. So technically I'm already taking maths with Further Maths. None of the replacement subjects interest me very much, although I am considering completing the EPQ. I enjoyed French in year 10 and 11 but the course isn't running this year.

Thank you for the advice and help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest