The Student Room Group

Which is better?

In my first year of college I did AS Level English Lit & Lang and AS Media, and GCSE Science because I failed it in school. I didn't pass English, but I got a B in AS Media and I've passed science.

In my second year I'll be doing AS Psychology and A2 Media, because I'm interested in both subjects. I am also gonna try again at English, but I don't know whether to do AS English Lang and Lit Combined again or AS Literature (I've been told just Literature is better than combined)

I don't know what degree I wanna do yet, but If I wanted to keep my options open to an English degree (to be an English teacher) but also had an English A Level that complimented Media and Psych, which would be more suitable, Lang and Lit or Literature?

Thanks!
Reply 1
English Literature is seen as "better" than the combined A Level but that doesn't mean you should automatically take it - many English Literature degrees will accept it. However, if you were planning to take a language based degree, the combined one would probably be more useful. I think you need to work out which one you'd prefer as they are different. Also think about whether English is for you if you didn't pass - do you perhaps need to refine your revision/ preparation techniques?

Quick Reply

Latest