The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roh
Do you know her? Personally I think she's capable of an 80 and a full social life.

What? She has to overcome an issue with confidence in social situations by writing? This seems somewhat like advising someone who struggles with exams to sort that problem by practising coursework loads.

I don't know, I imagine it probably isn't pointless. It's very difficult to study for 3 years without some kind of end result, they're usually referred to as 'Finals'

In her academic ability maybe, how will it help her to speak to people more easily?

I think he's a troll :rolleyes:
Reply 61
Original post by SophieSmall
I've decided to throw myself in the deep end by moving into halls, and hoping it'll shock my system enough to turn it around. But I'm still worried, I visited my boyfriend for a couple of weeks and he took me out a few times with his friends, I tried really hard to socialize but out of the whole to weeks I barely strung together 1 or two sentences with his friends :/ and that was me in a pretty safe and controlled environment with someone I know (boyfriend) so how I'll react in a couple of weeks when I move in I have no idea. :frown:

Good luck to you, hope you overcome it. :smile:

Don't worry about it, even the most sociable people are nervous about Freshers!

Also you'll find that people take much more effort, and have much more time given you live together, to get to know you at uni, as they're more mature. This includes even the most outgoing people, I know I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to get to know a couple of my housemates at school, but I did at uni and they're now 2 of my best mates, I'm so glad I did :smile:

And don't worry about that, it's much more awkward going out in a group that all already know each other than where you're all meeting for the first time. The first time I went out with my gf and her mates was definitely more difficult than Freshers!
Original post by roh

Also you'll find that people take much more effort, and have much more time given you live together, to get to know you at uni, as they're more mature. This includes even the most outgoing people, I know I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to get to know a couple of my housemates at school, but I did at uni and they're now 2 of my best mates, I'm so glad I did :smile:

And don't worry about that, it's much more awkward going out in a group that all already know each other than where you're all meeting for the first time. The first time I went out with my gf and her mates was definitely more difficult than Freshers!

Thanks for the encouragement :smile: I know everyone will probably be a bit nervous but it's just the extent to how anxious I get :frown:
Original post by Genesis2703
Home sickness mainly (since I am from Guernsey, not the mainland). Of course living independently and trying to make friends with the people I am living with also plague my mind. Oh and then there is money and I could go on! :tongue:

Hey! I'm super nervous about getting homesick too (I'm really close to my mum!), I'm from the mainland but not close enough to the uni to travel home whenever I want! Are you going for the cold turkey method of not really contacting home much at the start or going to be skyping often? I can't decide!
Original post by roh

Agreed!

In a way freshers is easier because everyone is starting from 0. No one knows each other and everyone is in the same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by musicrocksgreen
Hey! I'm super nervous about getting homesick too (I'm really close to my mum!), I'm from the mainland but not close enough to the uni to travel home whenever I want! Are you going for the cold turkey method of not really contacting home much at the start or going to be skyping often? I can't decide!

They are insisting on skyping me so I don't really have much of a choice haha! :biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by Genesis2703
Home sickness mainly (since I am from Guernsey, not the mainland). Of course living independently and trying to make friends with the people I am living with also plague my mind. Oh and then there is money and I could go on! :tongue:

Original post by roh
Do you know her? Personally I think she's capable of an 80 and a full social life.

Full? what like girlfriend and sex before marriage

It will be more unnecessary hassle to her

What? She has to overcome an issue with confidence in social situations by writing? This seems somewhat like advising someone who struggles with exams to sort that problem by practising coursework loads.

It depends on what she is doing

She knew she had this problem, she should have chosen something else :dunce:

I don't know, I imagine it probably isn't pointless. It's very difficult to study for 3 years without some kind of end result, they're usually referred to as 'Finals'

What uni does she go to if not top 30 she will struggle

In her academic ability maybe, how will it help her to speak to people more easily?

She will be more arrogant as she knows she is better than these guys

Social skills you muppet. :rolleyes:

Ummm

In all seriousness, how on earth do you not see how social skills are important in working life? What about if you need to work in a team to produce a product? What if you need to lead other workers? What if you have to teach? Give presentations?

Yes but you need a first to get in that position in the first place

Regardless of how well I do on my degree and how good of a grade I come out with, if I were to walk into the interview with no social skills and clearly anxious and nervous I would not likely get the job, even if I did get the job I may not even be able to handle it and work well as I may find my job hard if I need to work with others.

I rather have good degree, employers do not care, admission tutors do not care they want money not intimate flirting
Money's a big concern... as for most people, the maintenance grant doesn't come close to covering accommodation so there goes all my (and some of my parents') money.

I'm also pretty nervous about Freshers' week. I don't even know what happens during it haha. I don't drink and I think I'm quite reserved. I just feel that me not drinking will hinder me. After that it should be fine :biggrin:
Original post by scapepower
You don't understand how women treat me..

I've had women tell me not to look at them or talk to them - women i never knew or harmed or did wrong to, and i look normal/ smell normal.

I've had women stand next to me, then when they are about to make a convo look at me and look away and desist from talking to me.

It's torture. If it were not for my family being left behind, i wouldn't have a reason to live tbh. It's upsetting to say the least.

Hey, that is upsetting! You have tonnes of reasons to live don't be so hard on yourself :frown: , there are so many horrible people about but it's their loss (plus anyone who treats a person like that definitely doesn't deserve your friendship anyway!). Keep your chin up and I bet you'll make friends at uni in no time, you sound like a decent guy so just go for it!
Don't be a hermit, keep your door open while you're unpacking and chat to people, being a "facebook whore" and chatting to loads of people on facebook before you even get there is a very good thing to do (in my experience), BRING FOOD (it makes you popular), and you will most likely get freshers flu so prepare now. Also, refrain from any references to TV programmes/films because your flatmates will not know the "Always take a banana to a party" rule, and this will result in them sellotaping bananas to your wardrobe. That's all I can advise you on now, you'll be fine!
Reply 70
Original post by BOdy Odour
Full? what like girlfriend and sex before marriage

It will be more unnecessary hassle to her

Yeah, that's a full social life, pretty much what I meant, only lesbians can have them.

It depends on what she is doing

She knew she had this problem, she should have chosen something else :dunce:

One of those myriad degrees with no presentation or viva element?

I rather have good degree, employers do not care, admission tutors do not care they want money not intimate flirting

Ah yeah, I forgot employers are only interested in how good I was at studying the intricacies of a post modern interpretation of the character of Gatsby in the eponymous novel or how well I analysed the parlous financial state of the Icelandic economy in the late 1950s.... A good degree's the minimum, employers want so much more.

Thanks for the encouragement :smile: I know everyone will probably be a bit nervous but it's just the extent to how anxious I get :frown:

No worries, you'll be fine :smile: Make sure to prop your door open, no matter how much you may wish to close it, then people will come to you and you'll get involved in stuff, it was my mate's (who also struggled before uni with social stuff) top tip.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Maid Marian
You're braver than me, I specifically chose the uni in my hometown so I could stay living at home. :colondollar: I am the same, I cannot speak in front of a group of people, even if I know them all! :erm:

Thanks, good luck to you too!

I'm also improving my confidence. I have bouts where i can speak infront of anyone, and other times where i stutter so hard.

I'm going to watch a lot of tony-robins videos, and read a book or two about speaking, in addition to speaking with a lot of people on tiny chat.

If women find me ugly, i'd rather be a guy who can converse amazingly.

I'd rather be good in the things life actually let me have a hand in, rather than what life never let me work or have a hand in.
Original post by Maid Marian
I wish universities had societies for just socially anxious people like us. :frown:

This might sound a bit odd, but sports societies are really good. I was pretty worried about uni social life related stuff, but I joined the TKD group at my uni and it was really wonderful working towards something other than academic achievement, and you really bond with teamates. It's like being in a fit family. :biggrin:
Original post by roh
Yeah, that's a full social life, pretty much what I meant, only lesbians can have them.

Ah yeah, I forgot employers are only interested in how good I was at studying the intricacies of a post modern interpretation of the character of Gatsby in the eponymous novel or how well I analysed the parlous financial state of the Icelandic economy in the late 1950s.... A good degree's the minimum, employers want so much more.

No worries, you'll be fine :smile: Make sure to prop your door open, no matter how much you may wish to close it, then people will come to you and you'll get involved in stuff, it was my mate's (who also struggled before uni with social stuff) top tip.

Thank you :smile: I'll try the door thing
Reply 74
Original post by roh

She is one

With social anxiety let a lone a normal person she will struggle to get a first and have full social life

Not worthwhile I guess

It depends on what job she wants

She so anxious she can not disclose this sort of information

Thank you I'll try the door thing

You need to more than that :dunce:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by musicrocksgreen
Hey, that is upsetting! You have tonnes of reasons to live don't be so hard on yourself :frown: , there are so many horrible people about but it's their loss (plus anyone who treats a person like that definitely doesn't deserve your friendship anyway!). Keep your chin up and I bet you'll make friends at uni in no time, you sound like a decent guy so just go for it!

They aren't horrible, it's human nature, attraction and that.

I can only keep my chin up and brave this all, before i hopefully grow old and decompose.
Reply 76
becoming anxious and having anxiety attacks in front of people or at night time.
Lots of things really. I'm terrified that one or more of my flatmates will be very homophobic. I've never had it directed at me (offline anyway), so I have no idea how well I'll take the abuse. I'm scared that because I'm older than most people will be on my course that I'll be excluded. I'm scared that because I'm not someone who particularly enjoys clubbing, I'll get left out in fresher's week, when people get to know each other.
Reply 78
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
"Always take a banana to a party" rule, and this will result in them sellotaping bananas to your wardrobe.

Hey, a free banana wouldn't go amiss. Besides, I'm going to Cardiff, what if I encounter some aliens and need to bluff my way out? :nutcase:
Original post by Chordata
Hey, a free banana wouldn't go amiss. Besides, I'm going to Cardiff, what if I encounter some aliens and need to bluff my way out? :nutcase:

Ah, Cardiff is a different story. In Norwich it's more about fighting off tractors and rogue rabbits. You should definitely take a banana. I actually ended up with about 4. Sadly I don't actually eat bananas. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending