The Student Room Group

Mistake with course leader at uni

So, I’ve never had an academic misconduct or warning for anything from uni before, and I’ve passed all my assessments till now. However, for one of my assessments, I believed the mark was a little unfair, and so I had a meeting with the course lead to discuss it, and I have a habit of recording all meetings.
So basically, before the meeting I forgot to ask for the their consent, and they found out I was recording, and told me to leave as the meeting was over, and they got really mad at me.

But I apologised, and so they continued the meeting and by the end they were pretty calm about it and talking very nicely and calmly.

However, later I received an email with from a different staff member with whom I had a chat about the assessment earlier in the day, and they asked if I had recorded the chat, and I let them know that I hadn’t. However I did tell them that I had attempted to record the meeting with the course lead as
I had completely forgotten about taking consent, and so had stopped and deleted the recording as soon as I was reminded.

They replied and said thank you for the confirmation, and while the course lead was nice as well, I’m scared that I might get into trouble.

Also, I am the student representative and part of the student society committee for my year, and will most probably apply for president of the committee next year, and I’m scared this will ruin my chances or make my university experience more difficult
I’m not too sure whether I should be concerned or if I’m making a big deal out of this when it’s not that bad
Original post by Anonymous
So, I’ve never had an academic misconduct or warning for anything from uni before, and I’ve passed all my assessments till now. However, for one of my assessments, I believed the mark was a little unfair, and so I had a meeting with the course lead to discuss it, and I have a habit of recording all meetings.
So basically, before the meeting I forgot to ask for the their consent, and they found out I was recording, and told me to leave as the meeting was over, and they got really mad at me.

But I apologised, and so they continued the meeting and by the end they were pretty calm about it and talking very nicely and calmly.

However, later I received an email with from a different staff member with whom I had a chat about the assessment earlier in the day, and they asked if I had recorded the chat, and I let them know that I hadn’t. However I did tell them that I had attempted to record the meeting with the course lead as
I had completely forgotten about taking consent, and so had stopped and deleted the recording as soon as I was reminded.

They replied and said thank you for the confirmation, and while the course lead was nice as well, I’m scared that I might get into trouble.

Also, I am the student representative and part of the student society committee for my year, and will most probably apply for president of the committee next year, and I’m scared this will ruin my chances or make my university experience more difficult
I’m not too sure whether I should be concerned or if I’m making a big deal out of this when it’s not that bad

The fact that you say, "they found out I was recording" suggests that (a) you began the recording before the meeting started, and (b) that your recording device was out of sight.

That would suggest that you had no intention of asking permission, as otherwise the topic would have arisen when you began recording in front of them as they said, "Er, what are you doing."

How did they find out?

Clearly I don't know what actually happened, but if I were them I'd be thinking the above and concluding that this wasn't just that fact that you "forgot to ask for the their consent", but was a deliberate act to record covertly - but you got caught.

Dishonesty is not a good look in a candidate for president of the student society committee. Do they have any say in whether you're elected? Or is this decided by your fellow students?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The fact that you say, "they found out I was recording" suggests that (a) you began the recording before the meeting started, and (b) that your recording device was out of sight.

That would suggest that you had no intention of asking permission, as otherwise the topic would have arisen when you began recording in front of them as they said, "Er, what are you doing."

How did they find out?

Clearly I don't know what actually happened, but if I were them I'd be thinking the above and concluding that this wasn't just that fact that you "forgot to ask for the their consent", but was a deliberate act to record covertly - but you got caught.

Dishonesty is not a good look in a candidate for president of the student society committee. Do they have any say in whether you're elected? Or is this decided by your fellow students?

I was recording on my phone, and I had completely forgotten about it, as like I mentioned before it’s just a habit I have of pressing record before formal meetings, and my phone was on the table, and I was checking my phone for time, and they asked if I was recording, so that’s how they found out.

But in the email I sent them, I did explain that I do have a habit of recording meetings, and that it was a mistake, and the person said replied by saying it’s fine, thank you for the confirmation. So I don’t know if that’s the end of it or if they’ll take further action
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was recording on my phone, and I had completely forgotten about it, as like I mentioned before it’s just a habit I have of pressing record before formal meetings, and my phone was on the table, and I was checking my phone for time, and they asked if I was recording, so that’s how they found out.

But in the email I sent them, I did explain that I do have a habit of recording meetings, and that it was a mistake, and the person said replied by saying it’s fine, thank you for the confirmation. So I don’t know if that’s the end of it or if they’ll take further action

they don’t have any say in who is elected, it’s done by a vote of students, and as I’m a representative who does the job pretty well, most students have no problem with me, and they actually encourage me that I should apply for president

However, as president you do have to work with the leaders a lot, so I’m scared they may treat me differently because of this one incident
Reply 4
It is odds on that you will be treated with a degree of distrust in future staff interactions. But it is hard to see how else it could possibly affect you.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
It is odds on that you will be treated with a degree of distrust in future staff interactions. But it is hard to see how else it could possibly affect you.

Okay, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending