The Student Room Group

How did your GCSE results compare to your A-level grades?

Hi everyone,

I got my GCSE results yesterday, and they were fairly average (a mix of A's and B's with a few C's, nothing special). However, I have ambitions to go on to study at a good uni and was hoping to get around AAA at A-level.

So, how did your GCSE results compare to your A-levels? Would you say that really good GCSE's tend to lead to really good A-levels and visa versa?

I appreciate that it's all about the amount of work you put in, but I wanted to know how you guy's did!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I mean you never know, I know of someone who completely obliterate GCSE's getting a mixture of A's and A*'s, but then became lazy and laided back thinking that he's going to cruise through A-levels like he did in GCSE's. But all she got was a crude awaking, gaining a E E U U. If you work hard through out you will get the levels you require.
Reply 2
GCSE: 5A*s 4As
A-level: A*A*A*B

Had to work so much more for A-level though
Reply 3
make sure you work DAMN hard during your as levels, don't think you can cruise through like you could during gcse for one minute! especially seeing as there are no January exams now, so you really have to get it right first time!
I just got my as results back with AACU, the U was in maths and I'd got an A in maths at gcse with no effort.
Original post by jellybanana
Hi everyone,

I got my GCSE results yesterday, and they were fairly average (a mix of A's and B's with a few C's, nothing special). However, I have ambitions to go on to study at a good uni and was hoping to get around AAA at A-level.

So, how did your GCSE results compare to your A-levels? Would you say that really good GCSE's tend to lead to really good A-levels and visa versa?

I appreciate that it's all about the amount of work you put in, but I wanted to know how you guy's did!

Thanks!

I'm a yr 12 entering yr 13.
GCSE: 6A, 2B, C, 2D
AS: 2A, B
Alevel: A.
Reply 5
Not really, it's SO much hard work. I just completed year 12 and you can't just stay really casual like in GCSE's where people are studying about a few weeks ago and manage to get A*'s and A's. A lot of good friends who got about 8-10 A*'s in GCSE are even struggling to keep steady B average during AS. Its difficult, and you need to put a little bit of effort almost everyday, trust me you start with day 1 you're going to do brilliantly so far.

I have 9A's in GCSE's out of which 4 are A*'s
My AS results are A-Math A-Biology A-Chemistry B-Physics (Just missed an A by 2UMS *sigh*)

Good luck!!
It's really hard work, so make sure you're focused since DAY 1. For GCSE's, I got 3 A's, 1 B, 4 C's and 2 D's. For my AS Level, I ended up with 2 C's and 1 horrible E in a subject that I had no intention on doing ( textiles ). But I managed to do alright in English Literature with a C, even though I got an A for it in GCSE, and the same grade for graphics. I was promised by the school that I will achieve ABB, by the end of my first year, and I worked hard in order to fulfil that prophecy. But, with rubbish teachers, except for one, I got those grades. But I'm continuing with my A2 in English lit and doing another course at my new 6th form next month. The advice I can give is, keep on striving beyond your ability, whatever topic you don't understand make sure you do not skip it, ask the teacher to explain the topic clearly, don't be so concerned on making friends ( especially with girls, because the majority argue over the stupidest things ever, which slows down your progress.), and use your "free time" wisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
At GCSE I got 3A* and 9As. My initial predicted grades were ABBB (based on my results), come results day I got:

English lit: A
Geography:A
Psychology:A
Maths:B

There were some people in my year who got 6A*s at GCSE who were unhappy on results day so it's all about how hard you work really.
Reply 8
GCSEs: 7 A's, 3 B's
A levels: A*BBB

I guess they match up, but good GCSEs are not a guarantee for you to get good A levels. There's no substitute for hard work.
GCSE's: 1 A* 6 B's 3 C's
A levels: ABB
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
GCSE's: 9A*'s
A Level: A*A*AAA
Reply 11
GCSE: 5 A*-A, 5 B-C
AS: AAAA
A2: AAAA

I barely did work for GCSEs. Did the most work during A-levels but I was more relaxed in my second year. Fortunately, I didn't miss my firm but I did miss my predicted grades :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
GCSE: 1A* 5A 5B 1C
AS: AAAAA
A2: Not yet completed (Predicted A*A*AA)
Reply 13
The problem with gcse's are that people find that they can do minimal work and still achieve exceptional grades whereas in a levels, you have to work hard to achieve average grades.

I have always been a hard worker. I found GCSE's quite hard to achieve good grades and got 4 a*'s and 5 a's with 2 b's. Everyone says that GCSE's are easy and I actually found it hard.

Then at A levels, I found it not as hard as everyone said because I was already used to working hard. Even though a levels are much more difficult, I was able to simply adapt my level of hard work to accommodate the difficulty. I achieved A*AA.

Working hard is the key.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
People who got all A*'s at GCSE, for example, tend to get better Alevel grades just because they were always the ones that worked hard. GCSE results don't really matter as long as your work ethic is 100x stronger for alevels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jellybanana
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I had exactly the same as you at GCSE, mixture of As, Bs and a few Cs. I have 3 As at A-level.
GCSE's or Equivalent: 1A 5B's 6C's 1E
AS: BCDE
A2: ABC
My attitude change throughout school and sixth form, and I reckon if had put a little more work in I may have been able to do slightly better, and my A2 results were the best results I have every had :smile:
Reply 17
In A level you dont have to cope with other subjects that bore you, instead you get to choose your favourite subjects. This is guaranteed to allow you to have more drive and enthusiasm to want to do well, in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Tabzqt
I had exactly the same as you at GCSE, mixture of As, Bs and a few Cs. I have 3 As at A-level.

Well done! That gives me hope haha, thanks :biggrin:

Original post by Exon
GCSE: 3A*, 2A, 3B, 3C
AS: AAAA
A2: AAAA (1 UMS off A* in maths)

I barely did work for GCSEs. Did the most work during A-levels but I was more relaxed in my second year. Fortunately, I didn't miss my firm but I did miss my predicted grades :s-smilie:

Well done, those are very impressive results! I'm glad you're going to the uni you wanted too, good luck! :h:

Thanks for all the replies, you guys have given some really good advice!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Bloxorus
GCSE: 1A* 5A 5B 1C
AS: AAAAA
A2: Not yet completed (Predicted A*A*AA)

you took 5 as levels? don't you need at least 5a* for your school/college to let you do that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending