The Student Room Group

Is 1 hour and a half too long to commute?

I have a big decision on my hands... Either stay at a university that I do not particularly enjoy studying at or accept the offer from Brunel to transfer into the 2nd year and commute for 1 hour and a half each way.

Living out is not an option. Is 1 hour and a half too long to travel and should I accept the offer?

Do you know anyone who commutes longer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's 3 hours of your day spent commuting.. imagine only having a 1 hour lecture for the whole day? 3 hours travel for that? Not to mention the costs of transport are likely to be high for a journey so long. I know someone who commutes 1 hour and 15 minutes and they hate it.

However, if you're really unhappy with your current university then it is very doable. You just need the motivation your new course may give you.
Reply 2
It's certainly do-able but at the same time I think it would be quite draining, is living out definitely not an option?
Reply 3
It's possible but no one likes to spend 3 hours commuting, let alone daily. You may find yourself unmotivated to work once you get to your destination.

Only do it if you hate your current uni and love the new one.
(edited 10 years ago)
It takes me an hour to commute to university each day, and it can get pretty annoying if you're only in for one lecture, but if you don't mind it you should be fine. You could do a test run and go there for a couple of hours and see how you feel.
too much for me, it'd take up too much of my life. Not only is that 3 hours a day travelling, it also means being up very early if you've got morning lectures.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Travelling from? Train travel is fairly manageable but I wouldn't want to do it any other way.
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
I have a big decision on my hands... Either stay at a university that I do not particularly enjoy studying at or accept the offer from Brunel to transfer into the 2nd year and commute for 1 hour and a half each way.

Living out is not an option. Is 1 hour and a half too long to travel and should I accept the offer?

Do you know anyone who commutes longer?

I spent the last few years commuting to school (45 minutes, twice a day on one bus). It was annoying. Buses often smell and are stuffy, children are sometimes loud, difficult to get a seat.

But at least I was there for around 7 hours. I would hate to do a 45 minute journey just for an hour lecture or seminar, let alone an 1hr and a half. Even worse if there are gaps in your timetable, or weather conditions cause problems or you leave late
Reply 8
I wouldnt manage it
Reply 9
train should be ok i guess
Why can't you move out is it financial or are there other reasons.is it not possible for you to go down in the week and come back at weekends or do you need to be home every night. commuting an hour and a half each way is hard I did a week wor experience at Southampton (university) an hour from where I live and commuted and it was really annoying I also did my degree at Solent and had to commute my first week as I couldn't find a place being an hour away I couldn't really join in with a lot sand again that was also annoying.

I would move but be prepared to get pissed off with travelling or if you can't handle it you may have to move.
My college is an hour and a half away from me , as is my current job both of which Ive been going to for a year and have been travelling for 3 hrs daily at least 5 times per week . You learn to find ways of coping , reading up on the net on your phone , reading books , listening to music , time flies by for me .
Reply 12
you could make your daily studying a 9-5 thing and stay in the library while not in lectures etc. would mean you'd be travelling during rush hour but at least it might motivate you to work more efficiently
Reply 13
I think if you were travelling on a train if wouldn't be too bad as you could use your time effectively and do a bit of studying, read a book or even buy a Nintendo ds. It's still doable if your were travelling by bus but I can never seem to read or really concentrate on a bus and always end up listening to some music.
I would personally only want to do it if the commute was a train journey and I could get something done on the way to/from lectures. I would probably feel obliged to stay on campus for a few more hours to get things done, but wouldn't like not having the freedom of popping home for an hour for lunch, or getting between places quickly.

I think it would get draining throughout the year though.
Reply 15
I have to travel an hour on a bus to uni. At least it has wifi in it!
I wouldn't want to do that, I have a 1 1/2 hour commute to where I'm volunteering atm, I spend all day there and its still a nightmare. Would not want to do that for university as it would mean living miles from my university friends and relying on others hospitality if I wanted to stay out late.
Reply 17
I have to travel 45 minutes on the train to euston in London, the service is good it is really enjoyable
As long as you use the time, the commute is fine. You know you've got those hours set to do your reading for uni/ research etc which might reduce procrastination. That's what I found anyway.
Reply 19
I'd say a 3 hour daily commute is doable, I just don't know if I'd be able to hack it :frown:
If you're on the train, you 'may' be able to get some work done, but on often overcrowded (especially at rush hour) trains, are you really going to be able to get any work done? And if you drive, that's 3 hours down the drain basically :frown: Also, are you organised to get all the books you need when you're there, because at three hours you can't just pop into uni for books :frown: And, if you have any late lectures, will that cause problems with transport?

I did actually consider this at one stage, with a similar length commute. What put me off was simply the amount I'd be spending (minimum of £80 a week in petrol, and then at least £10 for parking, if I only went in for my 4 lectures each week), the time it would take (having to leave my house at half 7 for a 9am lecture!) plus the impact it would have on the social side (would completely rule out any sports clubs, going out at uni etc. etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending