The Student Room Group

2014 Pharmacy applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spanishovenfork
So, all 2014 pharmacy applicants, what universities is everyone interested in applying to? We could use this post as a discussion about universities/grades/personal statement help and anything else we can help each other out on.

Good choices guys! I'm thinking of Liverpool, Sunderland, Bradford, de Montfort and UCLan at the moment, however this is up for debate as I've not 100% decided yet!
Has anyone got their predicted grades yet?
Original post by James A
no worries

lol mate, I was just popping in this thread to see what was happening with you guys!

I've already done my A-levels, so I'm starting at Reading in a months time!

Hi there :smile:

I've just looked through and saw you took a gap year?

I'm also on a gap year hoping to get into pharmacy, with terrible grades of CCD :redface:

Would I have any chance at all for an offer from reading?

Thanks for your help and congrats on getting into reading and good luck! :yep:
Original post by Thisisthened
Hi there :smile:

I've just looked through and saw you took a gap year?

I'm also on a gap year hoping to get into pharmacy, with terrible grades of CCD :redface:

Would I have any chance at all for an offer from reading?

Thanks for your help and congrats on getting into reading and good luck! :yep:

Hi :smile:

That's right, yeah, I got BBC first time round, but was very fortunate to bring it up to AAB during my gap year.

Just wondering but did you get any offers for Pharmacy last year? The tip to getting an offer is to have a good personal statement, good reference by your school and just performing well on the interview. That's the three big factors that will get you an offer.

The thing is that Reading will offer retake applicants AAB, so if you feel fairly confident of getting those grades (or near about those grades) then defo apply to Reading.

Thanks man, just ask more questions if you need to :biggrin:
Original post by James A
Hi :smile:

That's right, yeah, I got BBC first time round, but was very fortunate to bring it up to AAB during my gap year.

Just wondering but did you get any offers for Pharmacy last year? The tip to getting an offer is to have a good personal statement, good reference by your school and just performing well on the interview. That's the three big factors that will get you an offer.

The thing is that Reading will offer retake applicants AAB, so if you feel fairly confident of getting those grades (or near about those grades) then defo apply to Reading.

Thanks man, just ask more questions if you need to :biggrin:

That's a huge improvment well done :smile: I can only to hope to do half as well :lol:

Nope I didn't apply for pharmacy last year but I've changed my mind and am resolute on doing this now. I'll build up a good ps, hoping to get a good reference (some nice teachers :ahee: ) but well this is taking into account they don't reject me straight up but I wouldn't know what to do in the interview

Ah I see thanks a lot, I might be able to get ABB I think not too sure about 2A's though :sad:

No problem, please do let us know how it goes at reading. You're living out I take it?
Original post by Thisisthened
That's a huge improvment well done :smile: I can only to hope to do half as well :lol:

Nope I didn't apply for pharmacy last year but I've changed my mind and am resolute on doing this now. I'll build up a good ps, hoping to get a good reference (some nice teachers :ahee: ) but well this is taking into account they don't reject me straight up but I wouldn't know what to do in the interview

Ah I see thanks a lot, I might be able to get ABB I think not too sure about 2A's though :sad:

No problem, please do let us know how it goes at reading. You're living out I take it?

Reading will still take you in with ABB, even despite having an AAB offer. The last year and this year, many people narrowly missed their offer, so they were accepting people with slightly lower grades than their offer.

Don't worry though, if you have a good enough application, Reading will interview you.

Yep I'm living out, so I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Original post by James A
Reading will still take you in with ABB, even despite having an AAB offer. The last year and this year, many people narrowly missed their offer, so they were accepting people with slightly lower grades than their offer.

Don't worry though, if you have a good enough application, Reading will interview you.

Yep I'm living out, so I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Oh okay that's a relief to hear, I pray checking track on the morning of results day won't be a nightmare again :lol:
Do you know the lowest grades they dropped to for allowing people in?

Ah I see I just hope my A level grades don't put them off :redface:

Ooh that should be fun I've always wanted to live out :awesome:
I'm just coming in to my gap year as a failed med applicant, and I'm interested in Pharmacyy, but I'm not sure whether my results are good enough- I have an A in maths and B in Chem, Biol and English, but most universities aren't very clear on their stance on having 4 A levels. I do know of at least one university however, that does specify ABBB being alright in lieu of AAB. Would it be worthwhile to apply to any AAB universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Camsterification
I'm just coming in to my gap year as a failed med applicant, and I'm interested in Pharmacyy, but I'm not sure whether my results are good enough- I have an A in maths and B in Chem, Biol and English, but most universities aren't very clear on their stance on having 4 A levels. I do know of at least one university however, that does specify ABBB being alright in lieu of AAB. Would it be worthwhile to apply to any AAB universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biomed is often the route medical applicants go towards, if they don't get in :smile:
Biomed is often the route medical applicants go towards, if they don't get in :smile:

I just mentioned the med thing to explain why I didn't apply for pharmacy last year- I'm looking to go into pharmacy as a career, not an alternative pathway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
i got ccd (nio, maths and d in chem) . i was worried if i stand any chance of getting into any uni for pharmacy.. i'll probably be predicted abb or bbb most likely thanks to my teachers -_- .. is there any unis i can apply to .. where there might be anyy chance.. and i tried all the foundation course but i dont meet the criteria.. what should i do.. im having panic attacks just thinking about all this . :frown:
Reply 190
[INDENT]i got ccd (nio, maths and d in chem) . i was worried if i stand any chance of getting into any uni for pharmacy.. i'll probably be predicted abb or bbb most likely thanks to my teachers -_- .. is there any unis i can apply to .. where there might be anyy chance.. and i tried all the foundation course but i dont meet the criteria.. what should i do.. im having panic attacks just thinking about all this . [/INDENT]

I'm planning on retaking some of my AS exams, specifically chemistry and maths while I'm in year 13, but do you guys know if that'll put me at a disadvantage when I apply for pharmacy at uni? :O
Original post by gracejay
i got ccd (nio, maths and d in chem) . i was worried if i stand any chance of getting into any uni for pharmacy.. i'll probably be predicted abb or bbb most likely thanks to my teachers -_- .. is there any unis i can apply to .. where there might be anyy chance.. and i tried all the foundation course but i dont meet the criteria.. what should i do.. im having panic attacks just thinking about all this . :frown:

Hey.

Don't worry yourself too much, it will make the situation worse.

You can try the likes of dmu, Portsmouth, Sunderland. Portsmouth want a minimum of C's in biology and chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So this is my position.

I want to study at pharmacy. I've worked in two independent pharmacies,a hospital and I have a job as a counter assistant with a qualification in being a counter assistant too.
I want to apply for AAB-ABB universities and an 'insurance one'.I've picked these universities to apply to:-

1)Durham University
2)Aston University
3)Reading University
4)UEA
5)LJMU

In my AS levels i got BCDD in OCR biology(215UMS),OCR chemistry A (196 UMS),MEI maths (169UMS) and AQA Business Studies respectively.I dropped Business Studies so I'm carrying BCD onto A2.My ALPS target (basically target from gcse scores) is BBB
Now the problem is that i emailled all the universities i'm choosing and they said a prediction of ABC or BBB would be considered.
I've been to my chemistry teacher and asked for a prediction of a B as my C is quite close to a B.I'm also resitting F322 next summer too.He said it's fine so i'm satisfied with this as its a grad up from my AS score
Now the problem lies in my biology and maths.My biology teacher has told me she'll predict me a B.I'm 25 UMS away from an A and I'm planning to resit both F212 and the coursework.I'm not happy with this.
My maths teacher,which i need to confirm,might predict me the D i got in AS.However in my C1,I got 66 UMS.In C2,I got 50 UMS and in S1 i got 53 UMS.I'm planning to resit C1 AND C2.I'm 11 marks from a C so if I resat C1 and get an A,I'll be on a C and even more if i resit both,I could even get a B which I'll be ok with.

My question is that should i force the issue with my head of sixth form about getting at least an ABC prediction,or should I get my parents in to consult my teachers about it.I've given up my summer and my year to get as much experience as I can in Pharmacy,so it's quite imperative i actually get into a good university!
Reply 194
Original post by Camsterification

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Camsterification, I see you initially wanted to do med! I would really think about whether pharmacy is what you want to do. I myself, have finished a year of pharm but always wanted to do med and now things are even more complicated! Go with your instinct!!!!!
Original post by krishkmistry
So this is my position.

I want to study at pharmacy. I've worked in two independent pharmacies,a hospital and I have a job as a counter assistant with a qualification in being a counter assistant too.
I want to apply for AAB-ABB universities and an 'insurance one'.I've picked these universities to apply to:-

1)Durham University
2)Aston University
3)Reading University
4)UEA
5)LJMU

In my AS levels i got BCDD in OCR biology(215UMS),OCR chemistry A (196 UMS),MEI maths (169UMS) and AQA Business Studies respectively.I dropped Business Studies so I'm carrying BCD onto A2.My ALPS target (basically target from gcse scores) is BBB
Now the problem is that i emailled all the universities i'm choosing and they said a prediction of ABC or BBB would be considered.
I've been to my chemistry teacher and asked for a prediction of a B as my C is quite close to a B.I'm also resitting F322 next summer too.He said it's fine so i'm satisfied with this as its a grad up from my AS score
Now the problem lies in my biology and maths.My biology teacher has told me she'll predict me a B.I'm 25 UMS away from an A and I'm planning to resit both F212 and the coursework.I'm not happy with this.
My maths teacher,which i need to confirm,might predict me the D i got in AS.However in my C1,I got 66 UMS.In C2,I got 50 UMS and in S1 i got 53 UMS.I'm planning to resit C1 AND C2.I'm 11 marks from a C so if I resat C1 and get an A,I'll be on a C and even more if i resit both,I could even get a B which I'll be ok with.

My question is that should i force the issue with my head of sixth form about getting at least an ABC prediction,or should I get my parents in to consult my teachers about it.I've given up my summer and my year to get as much experience as I can in Pharmacy,so it's quite imperative i actually get into a good university!

First thing I have to say, as far as I can see it does not really matter where you graduate from as long as you get 2:1 or higher :smile: .

You should have predictions of ABC (Bio, Chem, Maths) You could even stetch it to ABB . Why they won't give it to you is beyond me. best thing I can suggest is that you go in and have a meeting with the teachers and I would bring your parents in, it usually does the trick with me. TBF they should give you what you want seeing as it's not an actual grade but a Prediction as long as it looks achievable and it does to me.
Original post by Gills7
Hey Camsterification, I see you initially wanted to do med! I would really think about whether pharmacy is what you want to do. I myself, have finished a year of pharm but always wanted to do med and now things are even more complicated! Go with your instinct!!!!!

Well my logic is that I can do the course, as pharmacy does interest me greatly, and I can then make a decision at the end whether I want another go at med

Just a question of whether ABBB is good enough for the AAB universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

If your A-level predicted grades were 1 grade lower than the requirement of a university course you were applying to (for Pharmacy), could they still give you an offer/interview? i.e. if you get predicted ABC and you apply to an ABB university / or if you get predicted ABB and you apply to an AAB university.

Cheers
Original post by Blue_Clover
I'm planning on retaking some of my AS exams, specifically chemistry and maths while I'm in year 13, but do you guys know if that'll put me at a disadvantage when I apply for pharmacy at uni? :O

I shouldn't think so since it's your A level predictions they look at a lot more and if they're satisfactory and your AS grades are decent enough then they won't mind. If you were to resit A2 exams like me then it would definitely affect them :yep:

Hi everyone,

If your A-level predicted grades were 1 grade lower than the requirement of a university course you were applying to (for Pharmacy), could they still give you an offer/interview? i.e. if you get predicted ABC and you apply to an ABB university / or if you get predicted ABB and you apply to an AAB university.

Cheers

I'm not too sure to be honest. I know they base a lot on your predicted grades but a great ps might make them give you an offer/interview. Are you resiting any of your AS levels?
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Hey, if you have an amazing personal statement then you still have a good chance of getting an offer, it's just a matter of people who are actually predicted the entry requirements will have a significant advantage over you so it depends on your competition! :smile: (which will be me so you have no chance of getting in)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending