The Student Room Group

Sentenced to death for a sip of water! [Religion]

Check out this news story about a Christian Pakistani who has been sentenced to death for taking a sip of water from a Muslim well:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/sentenced_to_death_for_sip_of_water_7zwT2vBrUGqhDzasfQxkKK/3

Personally, (if this story turn out to be correct) I'm absolutely disgusted by it. So, because she happens to be a Christi an, she can't use a Muslim well? Why? Is she supposed to be poison to Islam or something? Seriously, I'm completely baffled at how her race can be a factor in where she drinks. :mad:

What do you think? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the NY post is their Daily Mail... all of its 'articles' are about as credible as little green men fart harvesting...
If, however, this story is true its heinous and is yet another example of the backwards nature of the people living out in the provinces and how backwards their logic is.
Reply 2
Original post by cl_steele
...about as credible as little green men fart harvesting...

LOL!!! But yeah it's ridiculous if it's true. :cool:
Reply 3
Original post by cl_steele
the NY post is their Daily Mail... all of its 'articles' are about as credible as little green men fart harvesting...
If, however, this story is true its heinous and is yet another example of the backwards nature of the people living out in the provinces and how backwards their logic is.

It is indeed backwards but before we look down on them as lesser beings we must remember the sad irony that Pakistani blasphemy laws mostly originate from British colonial blasphemy laws. The same can be said for African and Caribbean homophobic laws. So yeah it's ultimately our fault.
Reply 4
Erm, what?

If this is true, then all I can say is that in my opinion, I can't believe that this form of 'justice' is morally acceptable out there. Alas, the law is the law, and hopefully the situation will change over the next few years.

I was interested to hear that this was rooted in British colonial blasphemy laws - thank heavens that those laws have been repealed, and I hope that international laws like those will too get repealed, so that nobody is discriminated (or even worse, given capital punishment) for their religious practices.
(edited 10 years ago)
Isn't it a bit liked a protestant in Ireland taking a sip from a catholic well? Surely they're just as backward what with that lady who died because they refused an abortion due to the magical space butterfly saying no.
Original post by DanieleRosato
Check out this news story about a Christian Pakistani who has been sentenced to death for taking a sip of water from a Muslim well:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/sentenced_to_death_for_sip_of_water_7zwT2vBrUGqhDzasfQxkKK/3

Personally, (if this story turn out to be correct) I'm absolutely disgusted by it. So, because she happens to be a Christi an, she can't use a Muslim well? Why? Is she supposed to be poison to Islam or something? Seriously, I'm completely baffled at how her race can be a factor in where she drinks. :mad:

What do you think? :confused:

It's quite common outside of the comfort of Europe or North America to see intolerance. i million people died in sectarian violence after the partition of India. In some cultures ancient intolerance's and bias is the norm.

But what are you going to do. Try and get everybody to live by western standards. When we do that we get criticised by elements within our own society for trying to act like an imperial power.

They threatened to execute a convert to Christianity to death a few years back in Afghanistan. There's sectarian violence day in day out in Iraq. Mass acts of slaughter still get carried out in India in the name of religion.

The world isn't as nice and fluffy as many people believe it is.
Reply 7
Original post by WGR
It is indeed backwards but before we look down on them as lesser beings we must remember the sad irony that Pakistani blasphemy laws mostly originate from British colonial blasphemy laws. The same can be said for African and Caribbean homophobic laws. So yeah it's ultimately our fault.

The punishment of death for insulting the Islamic prophet Muhammad was actually first instituted in 1986. The British imperial law before that relating to blasphemy was general in nature and carried a maximum punishment of "one year to 10 years in jail, with or without a fine".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12621225

This may surprise you, but not everything bad that happens in the the Middle East and Asia is a consequence of Western intervention.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ashnard
The punishment of death for insulting the Islamic prophet Muhammad was actually first instituted in 1986. The British imperial law relating to blasphemy was general in nature and carried a maximum punishment of "one year to 10 years in jail, with or without a fine".

This may surprise you, but not everything bad that happens in the the Middle East and Asia is a consequence of Western intervention.

What does "based on British colonial blasphemy laws" mean?
Reply 9
Not being funny but if someone gives me the option of changing religion or death, I would probably err on the side of changing religion.

or cake, if they accept that as an option.
Reply 10
Original post by WGR
What does "based on British colonial blasphemy laws" mean?

Nonsense. Just about every country that you care to name (especially Muslim majority countries) has some form of blasphemy law. The Pakistani government would have had blasphemy laws with or without a British imperial history. Even then the British laws that were instituted were relatively lenient in nature (as stated above). The topic of the OP (the death penalty for those that insult Muhammad) is a specifically Pakistani invention in this instance as it was introduced well after the British were involved in Pakistan. The reality of the situation in no way corresponds to your statement that it is "ultimately our fault".

After being called out on a mistake, you really should just have the good grace to accept the mistake and move on rather than pretending that you were saying something different from what you were actually saying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ashnard
The punishment of death for insulting the Islamic prophet Muhammad was actually first instituted in 1986. The British imperial law relating to blasphemy was general in nature and carried a maximum punishment of "one year to 10 years in jail, with or without a fine".

Indeed - nearly all of these territories have been free from outside influence long enough to self-determinate. Perhaps they should have been held on to for a bit longer and taught to play nicely :catfight:

Should this turn out to be true, this may be one of the most cruel, petty and absurdly heavy-handed reactions I have seen - sentenced to death for following the instructions of a floaty sky-man in a slightly different way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
A story about death sentences and religion relates to muslims?! Shocker!
Reply 13
Original post by Ashnard
Nonsense. Just about every country that you care to name (especially Muslim majority countries) has some form of blasphemy law. The Pakistani government would have had blasphemy laws with or without a British imperial history. Even then the British laws that were instituted were relatively lenient in nature (as stated above). The topic of the OP (the death penalty for those that insult Muhammad) is a specifically Pakistani invention in this instance as it was introduced well after the British were involved in Pakistan. The reality of the situation in no way corresponds to your statement that it is "ultimately our fault".

After being called out on a mistake, you really should just have the good grace to accept the mistake and move on rather than pretending that you were saying something different from what you were actually saying.

Calm down son. Every country has blasphemy laws? Havey you got a source for that? Pakistan is known for having extra stringent blasphemy laws which built upon laws that were introduced by British colonial rulers to keep the separate populaces from warring. If Britain had never done this there would not have been the legal framework to push through ever harsher blasphemy laws in later years. When an American goes to court to defend his right to own a semi-automatic rifle for no good reason he is basing that right on the right of a man who lived 300 years ago to own a single shot muzzle loading musket that he needed to protect his family from Native Indians i.e the man living 300 years ago set the legal framework to own a gun that is many more times more powerful and deadly than a musket for no reason whatsoever.
Reply 14
Original post by WGR
Calm down son. Every country has blasphemy laws? Havey you got a source for that?

But I didn't say that, did I? I said just about every one did. Do you honestly believe that Pakistan, as a Muslim-majority country, wouldn't have had blasphemy laws had it not been first instituted by the British? Even though all Muslim-majority nations on earth have some form of blasphemy law?

"As of 2011, all Islamic majority nations, worldwide, had criminal laws on blasphemy." ~ Wikipedia

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy

Pakistan is known for having extra stringent blasphemy laws which built upon laws that were introduced by British colonial rulers to keep the separate populaces from warring.

The death penalty for insulting the Islamic prophet is not a natural progression from general blasphemy laws that have a maximum sentence of ten years. This is desperate logic.

If Britain had never done this there would not have been the legal framework to push through ever harsher blasphemy laws in later years.

*******s. Any country that has a legal system can institute blasphemy laws if it wants to. Muslim-majority countries that have had no involvement with Britain have blasphemy laws. Just because the British helped to implement a legal system in Pakistan does not make the British imperialists ultimately accountable for laws that are introduced in that legal system thereafter, especially after Britain has any involvement in that system.

When an American goes to court to defend his right to own a semi-automatic rifle for no good reason he is basing that right on the right of a man who lived 300 years ago to own a single shot muzzle loading musket that he needed to protect his family from Native Indians i.e the man living 300 years ago set the legal framework to own a gun that is many more times more powerful and deadly than a musket for no reason whatsoever.

This is just guff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by WGR
When an American goes to court to defend his right to own a semi-automatic rifle for no good reason he is basing that right on the right of a man who lived 300 years ago to own a single shot muzzle loading musket that he needed to protect his family from Native Indians i.e the man living 300 years ago set the legal framework to own a gun that is many more times more powerful and deadly than a musket for no reason whatsoever.

I don't want to deviate from the argument and/or nitpick but the statement above is anachronistic. You're right about the man setting up the framework for the Second Amendment being almost 300 years ago but your statement about a man needing a single shot muzzle loading musket to protect his family from Native Americans (Native Indians?) is wrong since single shot muskets were used during the American Revolutionary War in and around 1776. The above scenario of a settler family under attack by Native Americans occurred AFTER 1776 when the independent US began expanding westwards for new lands. By then firearms were such that they used repeater rifles, bolt actions, revolvers, pistols, shotguns and so on.
Reply 16
Original post by DDT10
I don't want to deviate from the argument and/or nitpick but the statement above is anachronistic. You're right about the man setting up the framework for the Second Amendment being almost 300 years ago but your statement about a man needing a single shot muzzle loading musket to protect his family from Native Americans (Native Indians?) is wrong since single shot muskets were used during the American Revolutionary War in and around 1776. The above scenario of a settler family under attack by Native Americans occurred AFTER 1776 when the independent US began expanding westwards for new lands. By then firearms were such that they used repeater rifles, bolt actions, revolvers, pistols, shotguns and so on.

I have never seen so many hairs split in my life.

You are completely wrong anyway, native American attacks happened pretty much as soon as the first Europeans stepped off the boat way back in the 1500s meaning that settlers were using muskets (well arquebuses if you really want to nitpick) to fight them off from day one. The arquebus developed into the musket in the 1600s then they switched to rifles until they finally finished off the Indians with the repeater in the 1800s
Reply 17
Original post by WGR
I have never seen so many hairs split in my life.

You are completely wrong anyway, native American attacks happened pretty much as soon as the first Europeans stepped off the boat way back in the 1500s meaning that settlers were using muskets (well arquebuses if you really want to nitpick) to fight them off from day one. The arquebus developed into the musket in the 1600s then they switched to rifles until they finally finished off the Indians with the repeater in the 1800s

In that case I stand corrected.

Never thought that the attacks happened so soon but thanks for the correction regardless.
Primitive superstition.
Reply 19
Original post by DDT10
In that case I stand corrected.

Never thought that the attacks happened so soon but thanks for the correction regardless.

It's ok.

The attacks were far worse in the 1500s and 1600s because firstly there were a lot more Native Americans around, secondly the Europeans mostly only owned a sparsely populated, poorly defended narrow strip of land along the east coast, but the most important reason was that back then the settlers were actively funding and equipping the Indians to attack rival settlers; the English would fund the Indians to attack the French and vice versa. By the 1800s it was just a few small bands left in the West and nobody was funding them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending