The Student Room Group

Is Self Study Allowed?

So over the next two years me and my friend will be self teaching German as an extra GCSE. When I say self teach, we will be teaching the content in our own time, ourselves, and then have a one hour lesson after school with a German teacher to make sure we are learning the right things, answer any questions etc....
Heres my question...My friend and I are having to do Business as an option (it was the best in a list of bad ones) and we were wandering wether or not the school is/would allow(ed) us to scrap Business and go to the library 3 times a week instead and self teach German using the computers, textbooks etc? The reason I ask is that I herd the school would not be allowed to let us do this even if both our parents and ourselves wanted to as we have to be being taught when at school (if that makes any sense). Can someone answer me please and help clarify if this is true? Thanks.
Reply 1
I would say that the first step would be for the pair of you to speak with your parents and ensure they would support you in this decision. If so, I would ask your guidance staff as they will have the most up to date and relevant information on this. For example, my school will not allow anyone in S4 or under to go into self-study; however, if you are determined enough it is possible in fifth year, and in sixth year self-study is expected!
Basically, the only way to know if your school would be happy is to ask them. If the school believes you to be trustworthy, it may be an option, and if not, they may allow you to sit at the back of your business class and just do supervised study if you are determined.
Good luck! xx
Reply 2
Original post by JTR__
I would say that the first step would be for the pair of you to speak with your parents and ensure they would support you in this decision. If so, I would ask your guidance staff as they will have the most up to date and relevant information on this. For example, my school will not allow anyone in S4 or under to go into self-study; however, if you are determined enough it is possible in fifth year, and in sixth year self-study is expected!
Basically, the only way to know if your school would be happy is to ask them. If the school believes you to be trustworthy, it may be an option, and if not, they may allow you to sit at the back of your business class and just do supervised study if you are determined.
Good luck! xx

Thanks for the reply! i think I'l just wait for school to start then speak to them about it and ask politely :wink:
Reply 3
Haha, no problem! Politeness is the key; I could get away with murder at school thanks to it!
Business isn't bad at GCSE, though German would be much better to have. Just ask really nicely :smile: I do both, and I love German. It's challenging, but if you're dedicated then it'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by JTR__
Haha, no problem! Politeness is the key; I could get away with murder at school thanks to it!

:tongue: whats the saying?.....a finger in every pie? :mmm:

Original post by ToLiveInADream
Business isn't bad at GCSE, though German would be much better to have. Just ask really nicely :smile: I do both, and I love German. It's challenging, but if you're dedicated then it'll be fine.

Yeah I really do enjoy it and I suppose I ought to keep an open mind for business if they dont let me get my own way :tongue: Also, with german, I would have a good set of very academic GCSE's
Reply 6
Original post by Gilo98
So over the next two years me and my friend will be self teaching German as an extra GCSE. When I say self teach, we will be teaching the content in our own time, ourselves, and then have a one hour lesson after school with a German teacher to make sure we are learning the right things, answer any questions etc....
Heres my question...My friend and I are having to do Business as an option (it was the best in a list of bad ones) and we were wandering wether or not the school is/would allow(ed) us to scrap Business and go to the library 3 times a week instead and self teach German using the computers, textbooks etc? The reason I ask is that I herd the school would not be allowed to let us do this even if both our parents and ourselves wanted to as we have to be being taught when at school (if that makes any sense). Can someone answer me please and help clarify if this is true? Thanks.

Like others have said, make sure your parents are 100% behind your decision. If there's any doubt at all then the school can easily say no, just because your parents don't agree with your decision.

One of my mates dropped Graphics at the end of Year 10 to study extra Maths as he was doing pretty poor. I'll try my best to advise you based on what he did.

Once your parents are behind you, talk to your Business teacher first to tell them what you're doing (if you can't trust them/don't like them/don't think they are very understanding then I would skip this step), then go to either the Head Teacher or person who sorts out the timetables. Discuss it with them, and make sure they understand. It's likely that they wont allow you to do it to begin with (unless they are extremely understanding), so if you manage to slip in the fact that your parents want you to do it too, then they might back down. You could also mention all of the extra stuff you are doing outside of school to show that you are committed - however this could backfire and the teacher you are speaking to might reply with "Well, why do you need the extra time in school then?"

After that, depending on how it goes, you may be removed from the Business course and allowed to study elsewhere in your own time, or, you might have to have a meeting with a teacher and your parents, but like I said, if your parents support your choice and they're willing to fight for you, then you should be alright.

At the end of the day it's the school's choice, so don't be distraught if they don't let you. You sound like you'll be fine anyway.

My friend managed to drop Graphics, but rather than getting to go elsewhere, he had to carry on going to Graphics to register there, and he just brought in Maths work, so he was still with his Graphics mates. I'm not sure if that was his choice or just a compromise, but it seems likely that's what will happen to you (if all goes to plan) as you'll need to register somewhere.

Above all, have fun and good luck, German is a great GCSE to have and it's extremely fun. I got a B in it this year (could have been an A/A* but my coursework was shoddy :rolleyes:) and I'm taking it for A level. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lucas.
Like others have said, make sure your parents are 100% behind your decision. If there's any doubt at all then the school can easily say no, just because your parents don't agree with your decision.

One of my mates dropped Graphics at the end of Year 10 to study extra Maths as he was doing pretty poor. I'll try my best to advise you based on what he did.

Once your parents are behind you, talk to your Business teacher first to tell them what your doing (if you can't trust them/don't like them/don't think they are very understanding then I would skip this step), then go to either the Head Teacher or person who sorts out the timetables. Discuss it with them, and make sure they understand. It's likely that they wont allow you to do it to begin with (unless they are extremely understanding), so if you manage to slip in the fact that your parents want you to do it too, then they might back down. You could also mention all of the extra stuff you are doing outside of school to show that you are committed - however this could backfire and the teacher you are speaking to might reply with "Well, why do you need the extra time in school then?"

After that, depending on how it goes, you may be removed from the Business course and allowed to study elsewhere in your own time, or, you might have to have a meeting with a teacher and your parents, but like I said, if your parents support your choice and they're willing to fight for you, then you should be alright.

At the end of the day it's the school's choice, so don't be distraught if they don't let you. You sound like you'll be fine anyway.

My friend managed to drop Graphics, but rather than getting to go elsewhere, he had to carry on going to Graphics to register there, and he just brought in Maths work, so he was still with his Graphics mates. I'm not sure if that was his choice or just a compromise, but it seems likely that's what will happen to you (if all goes to plan) as you'll need to register somewhere.

Above all, have fun and good luck, German is a great GCSE to have and it's extremely fun. I got a B in it this year (could have been an A/A* but my coursework was shoddy :rolleyes:) and I'm taking it for A level. :smile:

Thanks a lot for your reply! That sounds like a good plan as I need to speak to the headteacher when I get back anyway, and hopefully, as its me and my freind wanting to do it, the might of mine and his parents could sway the headteacher. Again, thanks for your reply, will tell you how it goes next week!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Gilo98
Thanks a lot for your reply! That sounds like a good plan as I need to speak to the headteacher when I get back anyway, and hopefully, as its me and my freind wanting to do it, the might of mine and his parents could sway the headteacher. Again, thanks for your reply, will tell you how it goes next week!! :biggrin:

No problem man. :smile: If there's two of you then it should be fine. :smile:

I tried to drop Food Tech, but the school wouldn't allow it. You'll just have to see what they say. :tongue: Good luck though. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Lucas.
No problem man. :smile: If there's two of you then it should be fine. :smile:

I tried to drop Food Tech, but the school wouldn't allow it. You'll just have to see what they say. :tongue: Good luck though. :smile:

Thats a shame :frown: Heres to better luck for me :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest