The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone seen the Gavin and Stacey episode where they see the studio flat with the shower in the kitchen? That's what £300 a month would get around where I live, minus a shower. Just looked on zoopla, and the cheapest place to rent in the town where I live is £375, it's a studio (with an actual bathroom though, fancy!)

But let's say you did pay £375 for rent, £105 council tax (that's with the 25% discount for living on your own), £42 for gas and electricity, £17 for water, £5 for internet, £12 tv licence, so £556 a month in total. Then £30 a week for food, £20 a month phone, £60 petrol, £60 car insurance, £15 car tax a month(so you can actually get to work), brings your essential costs up to £831 in total. Let's say you were working for minimum wage for 39 hours a week, you'd have about £922 after tax, so £91 left to spend on whatever you want. Which is okay, until your car mot is due! Plus, it's easy to get caught in a renting trap; not being able to save for a house deposit cos of paying rent.

I never thought I'd move back home after uni, but then reality hit and I swallowed my (ignorant and naive) pride and moved back to save for a deposit. I've probably saved over twice as much as I would have if I was renting. I don't want to spend 500 odd quid a month to live in a tiny room with no garden, and I don't want to go back to a house share.

It's all very well to say you don't want to live at home, but when your room is freezing cos the windows broken and the landlord's 'getting round to it', and your housemate insists on having screaming matches with her boyfriend at 3am when you've got work at 7am, you might think differently! For me, living at home is the boring and sensible choice for the long term. Essay done!
Reply 41
I lived with my mum and I don't care what people would have thought about me. Of course, I could have moved out but would had to spend nights in the street because I was a full-time student and couldn't do any jobs because in my town there were no jobs that I could do in the evening or just weekends. To be a part-time student, I would have lost government funding and would have needed to pay quite a lot of money which are actually big money for low income family..

Living with parents and not doing something to progress is bad but I do not see anything wrong living with them whilst you try to get on your way.
Reply 42
Renting isn't a waste of money. You learn how to fend for yourself, manage bills, you get independence and learn to live with other people.
Reply 43
Original post by Coxy124
Heard of a concept called renting? Of course your not going to go straight from student or low income job to owning a house. You can rent flats from upwards of £300 a month.

(http://www.poverty.org.uk/35/c.png) I live in the north east and that is the third highest for unemployment. Plus the whole concept of trying to better yourself than other candidates stands.

Ever thought some people might want to save money for their own mortgage rather than paying their landlord's for them?

My mate has a job that frankly is odds on to make whatever yours is look a bit **** (but that's just an opinion, I'm not judging that you may have a bit of a **** job compared to him, and me to be honest) and pays a bomb but he's living at home because he wants to buy in Zone 2 and it'll cost him 500k, with a 100k deposit. Or is he actually showing a lack of ambition?
Reply 44
Its no crime to be living with your parents, especially in this day and age it is hard to keep everything afloat as a student. However once you are getting settled with your career, it is worth to make your own way, I think you will be a much better stronger person for it. If by 30 you are still with mum and dad, that would worry me in that you can't survive on your own, however there are exceptions if say for example you are with them for a family business etc.
Personally, when someone in their 40s is living at home, I say "oh" as I'm surprised. But I wouldn't say it's weird, I mean a lot of ppl care for their parents!
I find it normal that generally until marriage you stay at home, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say it would start to get awkward at 27. I've just turned 25 and I'm increasingly embarrassed by living at home. I'm starting my Masters degree this month, and the aim is to have moved out by next Christmas.
Totally a cultural issue. I'm in south korea. I have a friend who is 30, his sister is even older, they both still live at the family home.

Whereas in Germany you need to be out and independent ASAP!

And in Romania the family will ideally stay together as a unit forever. The parents build a new house on some extra land, then the family and kids shift between the properties as generations go on, swapping from parents to grandparents, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I think if you are 18+ plus ideal you should be already looking for your own place to stay. People get too complacent whilst living with parents and then wonder why life is so hard when they get married.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by McHumpy92
Renting isn't a waste of money. You learn how to fend for yourself, manage bills, you get independence and learn to live with other people.

Not all of us can afford to pay nearly £900 a month on rent
Reply 51
Original post by SillyMilly

What flats have you been looking at for that much? :beard:
Reply 52

I pay £360(all bills included)...anywhere but London you don't need to be spending loads. I live about 2-3 miles out from the city centre so I am not paying through the roof for some crappy little apartment in the centre.
Original post by Mr Smurf
What flats have you been looking at for that much? :beard:

where I live even the crappiest horrible 1 bed flats are 500-600£ a month that's unfurnished still would have to pay for bills etc on top of that so easily 900£ a month
After I finish Uni I plan to move back home so I can send my money on nice clothes, nice holidays and fun activities as a reward for my hard work.
Original post by bloomblaze
Simple question, what age is weird to still be living at home with parents?

Im turning 24 soon and still live at home, with no sign of moving out anytime soon, I imagine I'll be living at home for years to come (seriously, I'm not joking). Anyone in the same boat?

I hate living at home, and feel like a child, and feel left behind other people my age who have moved out.

It's not weird even if you are 80 years old. Your Parents take care and raise you. An eternal gift!:biggrin:
Reply 56
I'm 21 still at uni living with parent and have no real plans to move out any time soon. It simply isn't financially viable and I have no real reason to move out yet.
I wish I was still at home :frown: I'm 20 and expecting a surprise baby, so need to move back home for now. Except my Mum is ignoring those requests...

To answer the question at hand, I'm not sure because it depends on the situation. I do tend to thnk you should move out around early 20s but that depends on your readiness, financial stability etc. I wasn't ready to move out when I did (at 18) but felt forced to.

If you're mature and pay rent, I don't think it matters much in terms of stigma. However, people who sponge annoy me and I think they're immature. I think you should have some sort of job and help financially. However, that's just how I was raised. I think I might be a bit jealous of those who get looked after by their parents.
Reply 58
Original post by roh
Ever thought some people might want to save money for their own mortgage rather than paying their landlord's for them?

My mate has a job that frankly is odds on to make whatever yours is look a bit **** (but that's just an opinion, I'm not judging that you may have a bit of a **** job compared to him, and me to be honest) and pays a bomb but he's living at home because he wants to buy in Zone 2 and it'll cost him 500k, with a 100k deposit. Or is he actually showing a lack of ambition?

Erm... ok thanks for the personal attack... that was necessary.
Reply 59
where I live even the crappiest horrible 1 bed flats are 500-600£ a month that's unfurnished still would have to pay for bills etc on top of that so easily 900£ a month

But people get paid more in London so it is all relevant. Do you have to live in London? Most people I know move to different places to where they are born. Apart from the obvious types who live on the same street as their nan and cousins.

Latest

Trending

Trending