The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I am in a similar situation and even institutions such as Cambridge and Warwick have reassured me that my GCSEs (2B 5C 4Dist* 1 Merit) are enough. They will clearly notice that you have made a significant improvement and I'd be surprised (apart from on competitive courses like medicine) for your GCSEs to hold you back. Also you need your Cs in English so make sure you have them!

AS grades > GCSEs any day of the week
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by reebok96
I got bbbbcccddf at gcse, but am predicted A*AA at A level after getting for straight As at AS. I am applying to York, Exeter, Kent, Surrey and Leeds. The courses generally ask for AAA at A level and some ask for grade B maths at GCSE, which I have got!

Do you think my bad gcse results will hold me back?

It depends on the university. Some unis, like Imperial, do not like to see anything below an A at GCSE and it can be a hindrance to your application, too.
I seriously doubt they would be a problem.

You got maths, and it should be obvious to anyone that with straight As at AS your GCSEs didn't show your full potential, for whatever reason. If anything it makes it more impressive in terms of your attitude and drive. :smile:

Edit: I can't speak for universities though - some of the very top ones are unreasonably picky (Imperial told me not to bother applying because I got one mark below an A in one AS module of my chosen subject). Also, they might want to know why you underachieved. Might be worth contacting a few admission departments.
(edited 10 years ago)
A lot of universities like to see potential so if you've shown an impressive improvement from GCSE to A-Level like you have then it's probably not much of a hindrance although it's probably best to check with your specific university options
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242
AS grades > GCSEs any day of the week

Original post by Octohedral
Edit: I can't speak for universities though - some of the very top ones are unreasonably picky (Imperial told me not to bother applying because I got one mark below an A in one AS module of my chosen subject). Also, they might want to know why you underachieved. Might be worth contacting a few admission departments.

See Octohedral's post -- there are some unis that are quite picky. I had 3A*s at A2 at the end of year 12, and after applying to Imperial was told I was probably going to be rejected for having 2 Bs at GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by Zhy
See Octohedral's post -- there are some unis that are quite picky. I had 3A*s at A2 at the end of year 12, and after applying to Imperial was told I was probably going to be rejected for having 2 Bs at GCSE.

Good thing I'm not applying to Imperial for Maths then :tongue:
Reply 7
Cheers guys for such good and helpful responses.
I am in the same problem :frown:
I got just one A in GCSE and for A levels I got A*A*A*, I guess the university should take into account how much the student has improved, right?
Reply 9
Original post by mrhedgehog
I got just one A in GCSE and for A levels I got A*A*A*, I guess the university should take into account how much the student has improved, right?

Have you applied and got offers? If so from which unis?
Original post by mrhedgehog

What degree you looking at and which Universities? What subjects did you achieve these grades in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by HelpTheInnocent
What degree you looking at and which Universities? What subjects did you achieve these grades in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at doing politics courses (one with philosophy and one with sociology). I'm also applying to an English language and liguistics course at kent.
Original post by reebok96
Have you applied and got offers? If so from which unis?

I'm going to apply again this year but last year I applied but failed after interview. I want to study medicine and I am trying to find universities that look at GCSEs less, like Cambridge, Manchester.
Wow, well done!
Well done, you're in pretty much the same boat as I was, I put my foot down in Y12. To be honest there's always some universities who will be really picky and could reject you on the basis of your performance in GCSE (e.g your lack of A*/A and you D's and under), I have the feeling Durham might be one of these as my friend got the same as you in A level but slightly better in GCSE and got rejected from there because of his GCSE's. Most universities though will over look your GCSE's :smile:
Reply 15
I got offers from UCL and Durham and interview at Oxford without any A*s.
Reply 16
I feel my transferring of school boosted my A levels beyond what I would of been predicted based on GCSES.
Reply 17
In general, it wouldn't make a large difference, but obviously, competition is going to affect the university's stance. If there's a large pool of applicants, then universities will of course tend to pick the best (as you'd already know).

But it won't make a large difference at all. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Zhy
It depends on the university. Some unis, like Imperial, do not like to see anything below an A at GCSE and it can be a hindrance to your application, too.

depends on the department, there was a thread a while ago about a chemistry admissions guy being impressed by someone going from C at gcse to A at as.
Reply 19
Help please !! I got A*AAAAC at igcse and then at As level I got
AAAA - chem, bio, math and arabic(first lang).. and at A2 am really doing good and my teachers expect me to get A*'s so do u think i have a chance for medicine ?
thanks a lot !! and yes it doesn't have to be oxford or cambridge !! any uni for medicine !!

Latest

Trending

Trending