The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

GCSE grade in university

Hi, on Bristol Unis aerospace engineering they say that they weight 20 percent GCSE and 80 percent A levels for aerospace engineering. The minimum requirement is a 4 in English and a 4 in maths. When they look at GCSE do they look at the relevant subjects or all your subjects as I got a 7 in maths and physics but a five ion English and 4 in computers. I currently study maths, physics and economics a levels and am on track to get good a levels ( a stars and a). If I got an a star in maths and physics but a bad gcse computers grade or any bad gcse grade does this decrease my chance of getting in or do they simply look at physics and maths(as I said before, relevant subjects).
Original post by roxey123
Hi, on Bristol Unis aerospace engineering they say that they weight 20 percent GCSE and 80 percent A levels for aerospace engineering. The minimum requirement is a 4 in English and a 4 in maths. When they look at GCSE do they look at the relevant subjects or all your subjects as I got a 7 in maths and physics but a five ion English and 4 in computers. I currently study maths, physics and economics a levels and am on track to get good a levels ( a stars and a). If I got an a star in maths and physics but a bad gcse computers grade or any bad gcse grade does this decrease my chance of getting in or do they simply look at physics and maths(as I said before, relevant subjects).

I've never seen it spelled-out, but I've always assumed that when Bristol refer to the fact that GCSEs contribute 20% of your overall "score", they mean an average across all your GCSEs, or perhaps an average across your best eight, or something like that.

That 4 you got in Computer Science will impact your overall score (I believe), but that's only (about) one eighth of 20% of your score. So it'll have quite a small impact in reality.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I would imagine they either score all your GSCE's, or top 8 or similar. I'd be surprised if they weighted 20% of the app against those two subjects alone.
Reply 3
ah thankyou. if it is top 8 I should be ok as my grades were 777665554443 and I believe I have a strong personal statement
thos 4443 will impact around 1/3 of my twenty percent if its accross all gcse which can be bettered by good a level results i assume.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending