The Student Room Group

AS option for year 13

So I went back to college today and my first lesson was Creative Writing AS, it's a brand new AS being offered for the first time this year and is not currently available as a whole A level and the bpard is AQA...
Anyhow, as part of the class my teacher said we will be sharing our work with each other and offering critisism for each other's work. I chose to take the subject as I felt it will tie in well with my English Literature and Language A Levels and seeing as I want to do Literature at university.....
But anyway I have been put off by the idea of having to share my work.. I know it is writing and the point is for it to be read but the thought terrifies me and when having to read something out feel like just crying!! I also take art and don't like people going through my sketchbook..
Is this a ridiculous reason to change my subject? I will probably get chucked into a general studies class if I do decide I don't want to do it but I can't decide what to do! Should I just persevere??:dontknow::confused::frown::frown::frown::frown:
I'd persevere. Bear in mind that at university you will be put in a lot of new situations that may feel uncomfortable at first, and adapting to this will help you along the way to that.
Just remember that nobody in the class is there to mock you or belittle you, a lot of them are probably just as anxious (though I'm sure there will be a few pompous ones, there always are).
Give the course a go, it can't really do any harm.
I've had similar problems in the past, particularly when it came to French essays and such. Practise reading them aloud to yourself, if you can. Also, I know this isn't the best advice in the world, but what I found easiest when doing creative writing in French was to not pour my soul into the first piece of work, and to gradually show more and more of my true nature as a writer as I gained confidence. It is unlikely that anybody will criticise you in a non-constructive manner.
Reply 2
Yes you're right, it will (hopefully) help me gain more confidence which is an important thing to have in life...
Thank you for the tips! I see what you mean about not pouring my heart and soul into it, as one of my first worries was what if I wrote something that was based on personal experiences and people didn't like it!! I think I shall continue with it, the positives are more than the negatives. Thanks!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest