The Student Room Group

Making up for IGCSE results in IB.

Hello! So, I'm currently in IB1 (a month into starting the course), and have started feeling quite a lot of pressure. As of now, I want to study Economics at UCL (my dream university), but am afraid that my IGCSE grades will disadvantage me. What kind of an IB score would "neutralise" my IG grades, considering that I want to get into a top 10 UK university?:redface:
IB Subjects: HL Biology HL Economics, HL Math, SL English, SL French B, SL Psychology.

Extracurriculars:
Ballet (on and off, 6+ years)
Piano (on and off 6+ years)
Volunteer for an NGO (regularly, once a week)
Internship (to do with economics)

IGCSE Grades:
English Lit A
English Lang A*
Biology A
Chemistry C
Physics B
Math A*
French A
History A*
Economics B

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
(DISCLAIMER: I am aware that my IGCSE grades aren't bad as such, but as I was predicted all A*'s, and failed to achieve so (due to personal/health problems), hence I do feel that I did not perform to my full potential.)
Reply 1
Honestly you're bond to feel the pressure just be strong and work hard like you need to and you'll be fine. I think seeing your IG grades and your prediction for your IG grades you have the potential to easily get into a good school in the uk so just hang in there. Organise and work hard.

Remember god loves you.
Reply 2
Your GCSE grades aren't bad at all, even if you didn't do as well as you expected. They're broadly similar to mine, and I ended up getting five Economics offers from Russell Group universities off a prediction of 38 (I think), and coincidentally with the exact subjects as yours. Admittedly, the entry requirements for all of them weren't as stingy as UCL's but that doesn't mean it's not achievable for you. There's nothing you can do about the grades now, so just aim as high as you think is realistically possible!
Reply 3
Original post by Harve
Your GCSE grades aren't bad at all, even if you didn't do as well as you expected. They're broadly similar to mine, and I ended up getting five Economics offers from Russell Group universities off a prediction of 38 (I think), and coincidentally with the exact subjects as yours. Admittedly, the entry requirements for all of them weren't as stingy as UCL's but that doesn't mean it's not achievable for you. There's nothing you can do about the grades now, so just aim as high as you think is realistically possible!

True! I'm aiming at 39+. The only subject I'm really stressed about is Math HL. I'm considering dropping it to SL and applying to a Uni that doesn't require Math HL for Economics (if there are any, haha). Is it as hard as it's reputed to be?
Reply 4
I know you and my identity is secret and I just wanna tell you that I believe in you and I'm here to help.
-anonymous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending