The Student Room Group

Student Finance for NHS funded courses

My younger sister is hoping to apply for Nursing courses soon but she doesn't understand the funding and to be honest, neither do I.

From what she's said, NHS funded students get their tuition fees paid for, but this results in a smaller maintenance loan. I've looked online to see if this is true but can't find any information that isn't really outdated. The SLC page on NHS funding no longer exists when you follow links to it.

So my questions are:

1) Do you lose out on some of your maintenance loan if you are NHS funded?
2) If so, how much by?
3) Do you receive any other funding to make up for this? Is it means-tested?

Any info would have to be for 2014/2015. Thanks!
Reply 1
Student nurses get their tuition fees paid for by the NHS

The NHS also provides a bursary of up to approx £3k per annum (subject to status)

Student nurses can also apply for a maintenance loan from Student Finance - up to approx £2300K per annum (subject to status)

So, although the maintenance loan and grants are less, the bursary and paid tuition fees make up for it.

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680119&_dad=portal

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3941.aspx
Reply 2
Original post by alabelle
My younger sister is hoping to apply for Nursing courses soon but she doesn't understand the funding and to be honest, neither do I.

From what she's said, NHS funded students get their tuition fees paid for, but this results in a smaller maintenance loan. I've looked online to see if this is true but can't find any information that isn't really outdated. The SLC page on NHS funding no longer exists when you follow links to it.

So my questions are:

1) Do you lose out on some of your maintenance loan if you are NHS funded?
2) If so, how much by?
3) Do you receive any other funding to make up for this? Is it means-tested?

Any info would have to be for 2014/2015. Thanks!

1. Yes, you get a reduced amount from the SF but your NHS bursary might be able to top it up depending on your parent's income
2. I get £2324 from SF and £2100 from the NHS because my parent's income is above £52k; I only get the £1000 non-means tested grant which everyone is entitled to and £1000 for the extra weeks allowance.
3. No, I don't but I get my accommodation paid for by my parents and get about £300 a month from my mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a nursing student and I get

of student finance

(I think it's) £2100 might be a tiny bit more. (£700 a term)

of NHS I get £5000 (that's the max) and there might be a little more I can remember the figures of the top of my head. (paid monthly)

they pay your tuition fees yea. so you just have to fund living, accommodation and stuff. my accommodation eats most my money and mines basic. it was £6000 for a en suit at my uni :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks guys. That's really helped :smile:

And holy crap, £6000? I paid ~£3500 for my en-suite accommodation in first year... going into uni-managed en-suite accommodation this year too and it's only going to be £3700. I get £500 for being a warden though :tongue: hehe
Reply 5
Original post by SQ918
1. Yes, you get a reduced amount from the SF but your NHS bursary might be able to top it up depending on your parent's income
2. I get £2324 from SF and £2100 from the NHS because my parent's income is above £52k; I only get the £1000 non-means tested grant which everyone is entitled to and £1000 for the extra weeks allowance.
3. No, I don't but I get my accommodation paid for by my parents and get about £300 a month from my mum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, but if you have all your accomodation paid for, and £300 a month from your mum, what the hell do you spend the £4424 on? Student finance really makes me sick how my loan won't even cover accomodation, and I'll have to use all my savings and get a job to afford university, yet you get all this unneeded cash!
Reply 6
Original post by Mojojojo
Sorry, but if you have all your accomodation paid for, and £300 a month from your mum, what the hell do you spend the £4424 on? Student finance really makes me sick how my loan won't even cover accomodation, and I'll have to use all my savings and get a job to afford university, yet you get all this unneeded cash!

Don't have a go at the other person just because they're lucky! I see both sides of the situation because my parents give me £200 a month for food etc. but I work during the summer months to support myself and pay for my accommodation with my student loan. Some parents are lucky enough to be able to fund their child's education, and that isn't something to criticise the child for. Those parents probably think that they're helping by making sure their kid doesn't have to work alongside full-time study, which can be quite a drain on time and energy! I know I couldn't work full time alongside studying, which is why I'm saving to fund myself for my PGCE year.
Reply 7
Don't have a go at the other person just because they're lucky! I see both sides of the situation because my parents give me £200 a month for food etc. but I work during the summer months to support myself and pay for my accommodation with my student loan. Some parents are lucky enough to be able to fund their child's education, and that isn't something to criticise the child for. Those parents probably think that they're helping by making sure their kid doesn't have to work alongside full-time study, which can be quite a drain on time and energy! I know I couldn't work full time alongside studying, which is why I'm saving to fund myself for my PGCE year.

I'm just pointing out what's wrong with the system. They get everything paid for, but still get buraries and loans which they DO NOT need! And I, who won't get any help from my parents, and DO need these bursaries and loans, get minimal ones!
Reply 8
I'm just pointing out what's wrong with the system. They get everything paid for, but still get buraries and loans which they DO NOT need! And I, who won't get any help from my parents, and DO need these bursaries and loans, get minimal ones!

The system is flawed but there's no other way of determining how much money to lend people. I got the minimal loans too because of my parents earnings, but the system has no way of calculating if a high income a) means parents are able to fund you (my parents were in debt for a long time and initially couldn't) or b) are willing to fund you (my parents wouldn't).

In an ideal world, we'd all get the money we need to get on with our education. But as the other person themselves mentioned, they too got the minimum loan/bursary combination, because of their parent's income. It's fair in a way because we'll all have to pay what we get back to the government one day! If anything, I find the NHS loans system unfair. I'm studying teaching, my sister will study nursing. Both useful subjects, both contributing to society in a necessary way. How is it fair that I will graduate in huge debt and she wont? It isn't. But I've got over it.
Thanks guys. That's really helped :smile:

And holy crap, £6000? I paid ~£3500 for my en-suite accommodation in first year... going into uni-managed en-suite accommodation this year too and it's only going to be £3700. I get £500 for being a warden though :tongue: hehe

it's so expensive in paying £4100 for a shares bathroom -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Wow, attitude coming from someone seeking advice. I don't always get £300 a month. I also use my student load for travel to place to placement. I spent £1200 for travel expenses to 4 different placement areas alone and they're at least 40 mins away by train from halls and I don't get it back. That's just train tickets, excluding bus and taxi, also food from the hospital canteen.

Thanks for the attitude. I guess I wasted my effort sharing advises.
Reply 11
No you didn't, this was really helpful. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending