The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay back a RAF bursary?

Hello,
I would like a career in the RAF (as a fast jet pilot, flying eurofighter typhoon). I am going to apply for a bursary (normal, non cadetship) for university and have learnt that it is around 6,000 pounds.I then learnt that you have to pay back the money! Is this true? I will then apply for the UAS or is it the other way around? Any other information about the structure of happenings is much needed!!!!

Scroll to see replies

If it's called a bursary, you normally don't have to. Not sure if this is different if, for instance, the bursary requires you to join the RAF after graduated, and you don't...
Reply 2
Original post by Antspitfire333
Hello,
I would like a career in the RAF (as a fast jet pilot, flying eurofighter typhoon). I am going to apply for a bursary (normal, non cadetship) for university and have learnt that it is around 6,000 pounds.I then learnt that you have to pay back the money! Is this true? I will then apply for the UAS or is it the other way around? Any other information about the structure of happenings is much needed!!!!

Original post by bellatrixb
If it's called a bursary, you normally don't have to. Not sure if this is different if, for instance, the bursary requires you to join the RAF after graduated, and you don't...

If you join up, you don't pay it back.

If you fail to join up* you do.

It is worth remembering, though, that you do not join up to be a Fast Jet Pilot. You join up to be a Pilot. You will be placed in the most appropriate stream depending on your ability/the needs of the service/your preference (in that order).

*there will be some circumstances where that is not the case, but they will be few and far between,
If you receive a pilot bursary and aren't currently in the UAS, you will be obliged to join your "local" UAS (certainly if you have more than a full year left at uni). If you're already in the UAS, you stay there!

As for the fast jet thing, recruiters like people to be ambitious (I made the "mistake" of saying I wanted to fly VC10s during my 6th form scholarship OASC visit), and once in the training system things will fall into place as to your eventual role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So during the OASC interviews, i cant give my preference specifically (saying that i want to fly typhoons)?
Reply 5
So during the OASC interviews, i cant give my preference specifically (saying that i want to fly typhoons)?

You can, but it won't make the blindest bit of difference as to where you actually end up! :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
As for the fast jet thing, recruiters like people to be ambitious (I made the "mistake" of saying I wanted to fly VC10s during my 6th form scholarship OASC visit), and once in the training system things will fall into place as to your eventual role.

:confused: You must have been the first person ever to have actually wanted to fly them...

Interesting note, apparently with the new EFT syllabus coming in Rotary will be the new "top" stream...
Original post by Tommmo
:confused: You must have been the first person ever to have actually wanted to fly them...

A lot of people wanted to fly it. Not everyone made the grade though. ;-)

Interesting note, apparently with the new EFT syllabus coming in Rotary will be the new "top" stream...

Mmm. Could be fun. Interesting to see how it pans out - essentially MELIN and FJEC (FJLIN?) will have a greater role.

"Top stream" is probably the wrong word. The cream will still go to Linton, the syllabus will focus more on RW relevant techniques with targeted further training for those not going RW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you guys know the best way to get fit for IOT?? On a daily basis perhaps?
Reply 9
Do you guys know the best way to get fit for IOT?? On a daily basis perhaps?

Running, running, press ups, sit ups and more running.

Not rocket science.
Stupid question alert!
The following questions may result in annoyance by those who answer them. DO NOT get upset
thank you

Would I apply for an RAF bursary during or after entry to my university? (for instance apply for the bursary at the end of sixth form and then go to university?)
Also, (this may sound really stupid but) is the bursary a formal income? (so for example when stating my income -possibly tax?- I would have state the bursary as well?)
Reply 11
Stupid question alert!
The following questions may result in annoyance by those who answer them. DO NOT get upset
thank you

1- Would I apply for an RAF bursary during or after entry to my university? (for instance apply for the bursary at the end of sixth form and then go to university?)
2- Also, (this may sound really stupid but) is the bursary a formal income? (so for example when stating my income -possibly tax?- I would have state the bursary as well?)

1- Up to you. You can apply any time from yr 13 through to your final yr at uni. You will only get the bursary for the following year, though. And the cut off for applications is quite soon after the year has started. (Ie, if you're in yr 13 now, I think you'll have about a month left to apply).
2- I don't believe so. It is a gift rather than income - it can be taken away/you can be required to pay it back. A Cadetship (for medical people) is different.
thanks so really i could get a job while i am at uni that is under 22,000 as well (so that it is under the student loan threshold)......(thinking out loud)
Reply 13
thanks so really i could get a job while i am at uni that is under 22,000 as well (so that it is under the student loan threshold)......(thinking out loud)

On top of a degree, societies and the UAS?

You'd be lucky to get one shift in a week at a bar. So maybe £35-50/wk. So I think the £22k/yr is safe. And painfully optimistic.
Reply 14
22k a year...?

Yeah...
Reply 15
Hello,

Firstly hi! :smile: Right ok, where to start...

So, you're keen to join the RAF as a Pilot. You probably know that you don't have to go to University to be an Officer in the RAF - in turn joining as a Pilot.

You can apply for the Pilot bursar before you go to University but you'd need to check with your local AFCO(RAF) to see if you're eligible ie graduation dates, medical, filter inteview ect. It isn't called a Cadetship - that's for Medics' and Dents'.

If you get the bursary before going to University you'd automatically join the UAS. If not then;

To join the UAS you'd need to make sure the University you went to was affiliated with one (most are). Then you would go to the recruitment stand at the freshers fayre or get in contact if you miss it. You'd fill in all the forms ect and then go through an interview and then you'd find out if you get in or not. It's highly competitive with about 300 people applying for 40 places on average.

So let's say you get into the UAS...

You want to apply for a bursar, you'd still have to go through the AFCO(RAF). The UAS isn't a recruiting tool for the MoD.

BURSAR
If you get the bursar and you go through and pass IOT, or medically discharged, SDSR gives you the chop - you won't have to pay anything back. BUT, if you fail your studies, or change your mind about joining the RAF you will have to pay the money back. It's a maximum sum of £6k with £2k per year.

Hope that helps

Deadline for applications is 21st November, and only recruiting those graduating in 2015 and 2016
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you, and by the way..... I am still only in high school!!!! :biggrin: I just like to be prepared!!! Also, another question for you all (i hope i am not boring you!:biggrin:): I remember reading on the careers website that the OASC selects the people for a bursary as well as all the officers and NCA' s for the raf (and army, navy and civvie police)? This would mean that i would have to do the interviews and things at the afco and the 3/4 day OASC selection tests when applying for the bursary.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I remember reading on the careers website that the OASC selects the people for a bursary as well as all the officers and NCA' s for the raf (and army, navy and civvie police)? This would mean that i would have to do the interviews and things at the afco and the 3/4 day OASC selection tests when applying for the bursary.

Bold: no it doesn't.

But otherwise, yes. The AFCO is only the early stages of the application. The application has many parts. There are tests and an interview at the careers office and further tests, interviews and group assessments at OASC at Cranwell.

It, however, is no longer a 3 day stay at OASC. It is done in two distinct parts.
ok thanks
I was just thinking... Wouldn't it be more logical and tactically sound to apply for the UAS gain experience, leadership skills, mock OASC interviews, improving of fitness, flying hours and everything else before applying for a bursary? However the only draw back would be the money issues in the first year....

Quick Reply

Latest