The Student Room Group

I miss my parents to much.

I am an international student and have been in the UK for the past 2 years. My parents always wanted me to get a good education. When my offer from Oxford came through, I was encouraged to take it... so I did.

I was never a rebellious teen; I love my parents and they're like my rock, always brutally honest, always supportive. Since coming to uni, I see them about twice a year. I am currently in the process of filing an application to remain in the UK to study medicine. I paused for a moment and realised -that's another 4 - 5 years! I miss my parents. I'm worried about their health, especially my mum's. I talked to a family friend on Skype today. He's no longer very close to my family but said he saw my dad walking our dog across the street the other day and “he didn't look 100%". That scared me so much. We use snapchat on our phones and sometimes he'd take a snapshot of his face and I'd catch my breath - he looks so much older. ;( My mum never had a single strand of white hair before and now she has.

I'm not really asking for a solution to the problem. From the way I see it, if I miss my parents so much I can just go back to my home country. I just want to hear what other people's experiences are. Do you think this is just part of growing up? Leaving home? I am nearly 21. Is it normal to still be this attached to my parents?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am an international student and have been in the UK for the past 2 years. My parents always wanted me to get a good education. When my offer from Oxford came through, I was encouraged to take it... so I did.

I was never a rebellious teen; I love my parents and they're like my rock, always brutally honest, always supportive. Since coming to uni, I see them about twice a year. I am currently in the process of filing an application to remain in the UK to study medicine. I paused for a moment and realised -that's another 4 - 5 years! I miss my parents. I'm worried about their health, especially my mum's. I talked to a family friend on Skype today. He's no longer very close to my family but said he saw my dad walking our dog across the street the other day and “he didn't look 100%". That scared me so much. We use snapchat on our phones and sometimes he'd take a snapshot of his face and I'd catch my breath - he looks so much older. ;( My mum never had a single strand of white hair before and now she has.

I'm not really asking for a solution to the problem. From the way I see it, if I miss my parents so much I can just go back to my home country. I just want to hear what other people's experiences are. Do you think this is just part of growing up? Leaving home? I am nearly 21. Is it normal to still be this attached to my parents?

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time :frown:

I think you should keep reminding yourself that your academic accomplishments are so important to your parents. They can feel proud of your achievements, and feel confident and reassured that you're capable of looking after yourself even when abroad, and are heading towards a great career.

You said that your father looks so much older, and I know what you mean. I lived abroad for a few years, and I didn't see my parents for about 2 years. When they came to visit, it looked like in that short time they had become pensioners, much older and weaker. I've been back for a while, and when I look at them now, they don't look nearly as old as I felt they did then. I think it's just a matter of perception when you don't see them every day.

As for being attached to your parents, it isn't abnormal! Different families have different bonds, so don't worry about it. Try to feel glad that you have such an amazing family, and try not to let your sadness affect your experience of studying abroad :smile:
i think that you should carrying on with studying becasue imagine how happy your parents will be when you have achievd your goal and they can live a stress free life knowing that they did a good job raising you becasue you'll be able to support yourself when they are not around whereas if you go back they might get upset because they'll feel they are keeping you from your true potential.
however you could like phoning more or make more visits back to where they live try a bit of skype.
and as for your mate that said your dad was not looking 100% no one can be expected to look it all of the time.

Hope it all works out for you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending