The Student Room Group

The University of Dundee Medicine Applicants 2014

Couldn't find a thread for this university. For all those thinking of applying for medicine to the university of Dundee.
Here's a link to the entry requirements.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine.htm

Goodluck guys. :wink::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can i just ask where this thread has been moved to? Thanks:smile:
Hi! I think its 60% Academic and 40% UKCAT

Do you think it would be wise to apply with

5A* 4A
AAAA at AS
A*AA prediction
and 695 UKCAT

I know my GCSEs are good in the real world but what about for Dundee? What kind of grades do people have at GCSE?
Reply 3
Original post by letsbehonest
Hi! I think its 60% Academic and 40% UKCAT

Do you think it would be wise to apply with

5A* 4A
AAAA at AS
A*AA prediction
and 695 UKCAT

I know my GCSEs are good in the real world but what about for Dundee? What kind of grades do people have at GCSE?

Hi. I just checked their website again and i didnt really find any specific requirements for GCSEs. All they said was GCSEs and AS level grades will be taken into account and that biology should be taken at least to GCSE. I don't think they specify a particular number of A*s at GCSE but if you are in doubt you can always email them or call them to confirm.
Original post by Joannywhite
Hi. I just checked their website again and i didnt really find any specific requirements for GCSEs. All they said was GCSEs and AS level grades will be taken into account and that biology should be taken at least to GCSE. I don't think they specify a particular number of A*s at GCSE but if you are in doubt you can always email them or call them to confirm.

I'm not even sure I wanna apply here. It's between Dundee and brighton but atm brighton is a couple of steps ahead
Reply 5
I'm not even sure I wanna apply here. It's between Dundee and brighton but atm brighton is a couple of steps ahead

I see. Well good luck in whatever decision you make :smile:
Reply 6
I really want to apply here, Its a great uni (I heard) and a great place to live!!! but my chances are not that great, I dont know if I should take the risk.

My grades AAAAC in chem, bio, maths, french, english
SG 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2
Degree MPharm 2.1
UKCAT 640

W/E: 1 year in hospital, 2 weeks gastro, 1 week ENT, 1 week renal paeds, charities, volunteering for TCT

I think its 60% UKCAT and 40% for academics. My UKCAT is not that competitive neither is my academics but I really dont have any other choice...

I am not sure who to go for either Aberdeen or Dundee,
Reply 7
Original post by Ama2007
I really want to apply here, Its a great uni (I heard) and a great place to live!!! but my chances are not that great, I dont know if I should take the risk.

My grades AAAAC in chem, bio, maths, french, english
SG 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2
Degree MPharm 2.1
UKCAT 640

W/E: 1 year in hospital, 2 weeks gastro, 1 week ENT, 1 week renal paeds, charities, volunteering for TCT

I think its 60% UKCAT and 40% for academics. My UKCAT is not that competitive neither is my academics but I really dont have any other choice...

I am not sure who to go for either Aberdeen or Dundee,

If you are really worried about your ukcat then i think Aberdeen would be worth going for as i've heard that they are very friendly and they have given offers to applicants with low ukcat scores in the past. I don't know about the 60% ukcat and 40% academics but it would be worth emailing Dundee or calling them just to confirm.
Reply 8
Original post by Joannywhite
If you are really worried about your ukcat then i think Aberdeen would be worth going for as i've heard that they are very friendly and they have given offers to applicants with low ukcat scores in the past. I don't know about the 60% ukcat and 40% academics but it would be worth emailing Dundee or calling them just to confirm.

For graduates its definitely 60% UKCAT. I know about Aberdeen lenient towards UKCAT but the thing is I applied last year and they graded my academics as below average :s-smilie: which is weird, but I guess because they must have had applicants with a 1st. I know someone who got in ABerdeen with a 550 last year but they had amazing academics. So it all balanced out. I kinda already know what aberdeen may say. Dundee is a big risk but there is no other choice ...

All the non-ukcat unis am not eligible for.
Original post by Ama2007
For graduates its definitely 60% UKCAT. I know about Aberdeen lenient towards UKCAT but the thing is I applied last year and they graded my academics as below average :s-smilie: which is weird, but I guess because they must have had applicants with a 1st. I know someone who got in ABerdeen with a 550 last year but they had amazing academics. So it all balanced out. I kinda already know what aberdeen may say. Dundee is a big risk but there is no other choice ...

All the non-ukcat unis am not eligible for.

Aberdeen is 30% Academics 20% UKCAT this year pre interview and then 50% for the interview. Not sure if it is different for graduates.

When did you do your UKCAT?
Reply 10
Aberdeen is 30% Academics 20% UKCAT this year pre interview and then 50% for the interview. Not sure if it is different for graduates.

When did you do your UKCAT?

Its the same for grads but still not work out because they asked me to do an Msc to improve my academics score which is impossible.

I did my UKCAT in mid July.

What did you get for your UKCAT?
Original post by Ama2007
Its the same for grads but still not work out because they asked me to do an Msc to improve my academics score which is impossible.

I did my UKCAT in mid July.

What did you get for your UKCAT?

I got 695 :smile:

Are you from Scotland? :biggrin:

Can you tell me a bit about what it's like? I've never been out of London (I've been to other countries, but not around the UK)
Reply 12
I got 695 :smile:

Are you from Scotland? :biggrin:

Can you tell me a bit about what it's like? I've never been out of London (I've been to other countries, but not around the UK)

Yup! :smile: I just visited london for the first time 2 days ago for my GAMSAT exam!

Oh where should I start :tongue:

I am going to be a bit biased because I have always lived in Scotland, Its a nice place lots of things to do and also if you going on weekend trips you have so many nice places to go for Hiking, mountain biking...all sorts. But the best part is the people are actually nice, am not exaggerating this :colondollar: What I mean by nice is they are friendly, not the stiff-upper lip type. Most are down to earth, happy to help type. If you love busy places then Glasgow is the place. Its just like London but a bit more organised and less chaotic in terms of traffic.

Yesterday, I noticed when we were driving down Croydon, we overtook a Taxi (late for the exam!!) and he took it so personally I could NOT stop laughing. I dont know why but most people seem to take "over-taking" very seriously in london :tongue:

The weather is not great...far from great. The only exception is this summer it has been amazing but am sure it wont last. Winter is a killer here. Otherwise its a great place to live or go for a holiday. Prices are okay, it varies depending on where in Scotland you are.

I guess the only thing I can think of as bad about scotland is the weather but am sure there is others, I will try and think of ....:wink:
Original post by Ama2007
Yup! :smile: I just visited london for the first time 2 days ago for my GAMSAT exam!

Oh where should I start :tongue:

I am going to be a bit biased because I have always lived in Scotland, Its a nice place lots of things to do and also if you going on weekend trips you have so many nice places to go for Hiking, mountain biking...all sorts. But the best part is the people are actually nice, am not exaggerating this :colondollar: What I mean by nice is they are friendly, not the stiff-upper lip type. Most are down to earth, happy to help type. If you love busy places then Glasgow is the place. Its just like London but a bit more organised and less chaotic in terms of traffic.

Yesterday, I noticed when we were driving down Croydon, we overtook a Taxi (late for the exam!!) and he took it so personally I could NOT stop laughing. I dont know why but most people seem to take "over-taking" very seriously in london :tongue:

The weather is not great...far from great. The only exception is this summer it has been amazing but am sure it wont last. Winter is a killer here. Otherwise its a great place to live or go for a holiday. Prices are okay, it varies depending on where in Scotland you are.

I guess the only thing I can think of as bad about scotland is the weather but am sure there is others, I will try and think of ....:wink:

Sounds great!
I'm applying to Aberdeen, so I guess it's suuuper cold up there.

I love the idea of being so far away from home.

How did gamsat go?
Reply 14
Sounds great!
I'm applying to Aberdeen, so I guess it's suuuper cold up there.

I love the idea of being so far away from home.

How did gamsat go?

Dont worry You will get used to it :biggrin:

GAMSAT was horrible...I guessed so many and the only way I will get a good score is down to luck thats all!! hopefully this is my last time applying because I cannot stand another year of med application! its very tiresome..
Original post by Ama2007
Dont worry You will get used to it :biggrin:

GAMSAT was horrible...I guessed so many and the only way I will get a good score is down to luck thats all!! hopefully this is my last time applying because I cannot stand another year of med application! its very tiresome..

Hopefully you will get an offer from somewhere :biggrin:

Did you live out when you were doing your undergraduate degree? :biggrin:

I have never been on a school trip where you stay overnight, I have never been to a sleep over. I have never been away from home alone for even a day! The idea of living out scares the living hell out of me but I want to dive into the deep end. My mum isn't so sure I will cope (she secretly doesn't want me to leave home)
Reply 16
Hopefully you will get an offer from somewhere :biggrin:

Did you live out when you were doing your undergraduate degree? :biggrin:

I have never been on a school trip where you stay overnight, I have never been to a sleep over. I have never been away from home alone for even a day! The idea of living out scares the living hell out of me but I want to dive into the deep end. My mum isn't so sure I will cope (she secretly doesn't want me to leave home)

No, I was lucky enough to do my degree quiet close to home and it has always worked out, I mean even my training year and work is still close to home so its great, at least I dont have to worry about the bills, for the moment :biggrin:

I am applying to English unis only this year so am definitely moving out.

It is quiet far from London, but a new place might be a good thing ? obviously it will take time to settle down. Are you applying to any unis in England?
Original post by Ama2007
No, I was lucky enough to do my degree quiet close to home and it has always worked out, I mean even my training year and work is still close to home so its great, at least I dont have to worry about the bills, for the moment :biggrin:

I am applying to English unis only this year so am definitely moving out.

It is quiet far from London, but a new place might be a good thing ? obviously it will take time to settle down. Are you applying to any unis in England?

Yeah! I am applying to 3 in England and 1 in Scotland. I have put down UEA, Manchester and Hull York and Aberdeen. Closest one is 3 hours drive tehe

Have you thought of where you wanna apply?
Reply 18
hi!
Really not sure whether to apply here or not, I have AAAb AS results the B being chem (one mark off wehheh). I am going to resit 1 module to make chemistry an A so that I should get AAA at A2 (also predicted AAA) but if Dundee don't accept resits will this mean they won't consider my A2 score to be an A..?(If I get it ofc) :sssss very confused haha
Reply 19
Original post by Charly96
hi!
Really not sure whether to apply here or not, I have AAAb AS results the B being chem (one mark off wehheh). I am going to resit 1 module to make chemistry an A so that I should get AAA at A2 (also predicted AAA) but if Dundee don't accept resits will this mean they won't consider my A2 score to be an A..?(If I get it ofc) :sssss very confused haha

Dundee accepts modular resits which is what you are going to do. As long as your resits are done within a two year period you are fine. They don't accept resits which involve doing your A levels over a 3 year period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending