The Student Room Group

HKU / CUHK Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
To all who are still waiting:

This forum was very useful to me last year, so I just wanted to offer some encouragement for those still waiting for an offer/interview. I am currently doing medicine at HKU. The med fac decided to accept me at the beginning of September last year, so don't give up hope!

Best of luck, and I hope to see some of you guys on campus in Sept! :smile:
Original post by med19
To all who are still waiting:

This forum was very useful to me last year, so I just wanted to offer some encouragement for those still waiting for an offer/interview. I am currently doing medicine at HKU. The med fac decided to accept me at the beginning of September last year, so don't give up hope!

Best of luck, and I hope to see some of you guys on campus in Sept! :smile:

How did you feel after your interview in that year?

Plus, after attending the school, are there any regrets you may have?
Reply 182
Original post by jack24bauer
How did you feel after your interview in that year?

Plus, after attending the school, are there any regrets you may have?

My interview was OK. I didn't think I was particularly outstanding or anything, but I also didn't think I had screwed it up.

As for regrets, I don't regret it at all. Medicine certainly isn't a subject to be taken lightly, and people are not joking with you when they tell you it will essentially become your life. If anyone chooses med for reasons such as money, prestige, etc, they will have a hard time making it through the long six years of study. So I urge any future applicants reading this to think carefully about your motives for choosing this.

The people here are quite friendly and helpful too, although the faculty office can be slightly frustrating to deal with. We don't have GPA as well. :biggrin:
Original post by med19
My interview was OK. I didn't think I was particularly outstanding or anything, but I also didn't think I had screwed it up.

As for regrets, I don't regret it at all. Medicine certainly isn't a subject to be taken lightly, and people are not joking with you when they tell you it will essentially become your life. If anyone chooses med for reasons such as money, prestige, etc, they will have a hard time making it through the long six years of study. So I urge any future applicants reading this to think carefully about your motives for choosing this.

The people here are quite friendly and helpful too, although the faculty office can be slightly frustrating to deal with. We don't have GPA as well. :biggrin:

Did they do the "good cop bad cop" routine in the interview?
Because after the interview I was inconclusive as to how I actually did.

BTW what do you mean by no GPA?

Thanks.
Original post by med19

How's PBL learning? I tried PBL during HKU's dental summer programme and i personally think it's a horrible way of learning tbh XD
Reply 185
Did they do the "good cop bad cop" routine in the interview?
Because after the interview I was inconclusive as to how I actually did.

BTW what do you mean by no GPA?

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what you mean by that, but I think it's pretty common for us to be unsure about how we did. Given that you are compared to the performance of other applicants in your year, it is also hard to gauge how others did relative to your own performance. The interview really does not matter as much for Jupas applicants, but it does seem to hold more weight for Non-Jupas.

HKU medic does not have a calculated GPA, which means that all you need to do is pass. (pass/fail system). If you are really good, you can pass with distinction, although this is fairly rare. The majority of us are already very happy to pass :P
Reply 186
Original post by koyyj127
How's PBL learning? I tried PBL during HKU's dental summer programme and i personally think it's a horrible way of learning tbh XD

Haha, I think for this question you will hear many mixed opinions. :tongue:

HKU Dental is a little different from medic, because their learning is entirely PBL. This means a lot of self-learning, but we medics have a combination of lectures and PBL. So ground knowledge is covered in lecture before it is clinically applied during PBL sessions.

I personally quite enjoyed PBL this year, and if you are lucky enough to have an awesome tutor, you will learn a lot about how to think like a doctor (ie. how to logically come to a diagnosis based on clinical presentation, physical exam, lab testing etc.)
Anyone at the HKU June interviews heard back from them yet?
Original post by cnelson01
Anyone at the HKU June interviews heard back from them yet?

I think we have to wait until mid-July.

By the way, what did you think about the interview?
I think we have to wait until mid-July.

By the way, what did you think about the interview?

Ah, really? That sucks...

I thought the interview was alright. The questions were mostly the kind I were expecting, other than the ethical question. What did you think?
Graduate applicant for both schools here. Interviewed on 17th Dec with HKU (fast track) and 20th June with CUHK. Just gave each school a call.

HKU said I am waitlisted and might not hear back until September.

CUHK said they have already given out some offers but my case is still under consideration. Might not hear back until August.

God, I am running low on hope.

Has anyone got an offer yet?
Original post by alastaircys
Graduate applicant for both schools here. Interviewed on 17th Dec with HKU (fast track) and 20th June with CUHK. Just gave each school a call.

HKU said I am waitlisted and might not hear back until September.

CUHK said they have already given out some offers but my case is still under consideration. Might not hear back until August.

God, I am running low on hope.

Has anyone got an offer yet?

Based on my research, the earliest day of offer received by an individual was July 12th. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/hku-mbbs-2013-entry.1011959/#post-14269007).

BTW how was the fast track interview + were there a lot of people?
Based on my research, the earliest day of offer received by an individual was July 12th. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/hku-mbbs-2013-entry.1011959/#post-14269007).

BTW how was the fast track interview + were there a lot of people?

The fast track interview was OK for me but unfortunately I didn't get an offer. There were quite a number of people actually, ranging from postgraduates, graduates, undergraduates to high-school leavers. There were ten rooms for interview so I think there might be up to 100 people or more interviewed on that single day.

The HKU lady said today that my chance is not very good unless somebody gives up his offer. =(
Actually CUHK said they would reconsider all non-JUPAS applicants after the last interview date but I forgot to ask the lady when the future interviews would be held. Could anyone provide any information regarding the dates of the future non-JUPAS interviews?
The fast track interview was OK for me but unfortunately I didn't get an offer. There were quite a number of people actually, ranging from postgraduates, graduates, undergraduates to high-school leavers. There were ten rooms for interview so I think there might be up to 100 people or more interviewed on that single day.

The HKU lady said today that my chance is not very good unless somebody gives up his offer. =(

Mind me asking which school you are from?
Mind me asking which school you are from?

I graduated two years ago from CUHK.
I graduated two years ago from CUHK.

Do you mind PM-ing me ur GPA of ur first degree and what's ur first degree in CUHK? (If you don't want to, it's finee haha) thanks >w<
Original post by koyyj127
Do you mind PM-ing me ur GPA of ur first degree and what's ur first degree in CUHK? (If you don't want to, it's finee haha) thanks >w<

what did you think about your interview lol?
what did you think about your interview lol?

What do you think, jack24bauer? Have you been interviewed as well?
Reply 199
Do you guys meet HKU/CUHK offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending