The Student Room Group

Canadian university application thread 2013 (UofT, UBC, McGill and all the rest)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I am actually from Canada and have applied to U of C (History and English double major) and am applying to U of T (same subjects).
Original post by dylanfar
I've applied for 2014 September entry - Political Science (at York, Brock, U of Alberta, U of Manitoba, UNBC, UBC and SFU) :smile:

Nice to see that you are choosing political science! Sounds like you are taking a few safety schools, which is a good idea. Hope you get into the university of your choice! Let me know if you need any help, since I am studying political science at a Canadian institution right now. :smile:

Original post by prateek1193
I have applied for September 2014 intake at the following universities:
1. UofT for Physical and Mathematical Sciences
2. Waterloo for Honours Science
3. Queens for Science
4. UofT for Electrical Engineering
5. Mcmaster for Medical physics co-op
Any insight on any of the programmes mentioned above?
Also how do you send them your GCE results? I am on my gap year and have all the original certificates and i am confused as to what should i send to the uni...photocopies by myself or through my school? or contact each exam board and have them send my results?
i did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and achieved A,B,B,C respectively

Um, I would say that you should be fine with most of the programs you've applied for, although I'm not too sure if you will get into electrical engineering at U of T. Engineering is one of the more competitive programs at U of T and you will need higher grades to be considered competitive. I wouldn't say 100% you wouldn't get in, but don't give yourself too much hope, since you might be disappointed in the end. Good luck!
Yeah I'm not too keen on the engineering choice..I just chose it because I could choose two courses from uoft for the same fee..maths/physics is my first option..where are you studying political science?
Original post by dylanfar
Contact the exam boards to send your certificates (originals, not copies) to the universities. I'm in Scotland, unfortunately, and I had to ask for our exam board to apply their "replacement certificate service" to me applying for Canadian universities. Most universities require that an original certificate be sent from the exam board or your school (if your school issues certificates i.e. internally graded examinations.

Good luck! :smile:

Are all your subjects with one exam board? Mine are with AQA, OCR and Edexcel... Really confused about the documents I need to send..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm not too keen on the engineering choice..I just chose it because I could choose two courses from uoft for the same fee..maths/physics is my first option..where are you studying political science?

Ah I see. In that case, you shouldn't have any problems (I'm sure you'll get into the program of your choice). I prefer not to state where I study for fear of being biased. :tongue:
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Ah I see. In that case, you shouldn't have any problems (I'm sure you'll get into the program of your choice). I prefer not to state where I study for fear of being biased. :tongue:

Haha I see...hmm is your uni in the list that I mentioned ? How did you send your a level results then?
Haha I see...hmm is your uni in the list that I mentioned ? How did you send your a level results then?

I believe it isn't in the list.

You have to get your school headmaster to send in official grades to the respective universities you have applied for once they have received your A-level results.
Is it in Quebec? How has your experience been so far?
Thanks! I'll get in touch with my school.
Is it in Quebec? How has your experience been so far?
Thanks! I'll get in touch with my school.

You don't need to play the guessing game; I'm not going to say it out. :tongue:

My experience has been good so far. I feel that the education system here is really flexible and it allows you to choose courses based on your interests. Of course, you can't do that in first or second year, but once you get to third and fourth year, the possibilities become endless. I can't say the same for science programs, but this is the case for my program.
Reply 29
You don't need to play the guessing game; I'm not going to say it out. :tongue:

My experience has been good so far. I feel that the education system here is really flexible and it allows you to choose courses based on your interests. Of course, you can't do that in first or second year, but once you get to third and fourth year, the possibilities become endless. I can't say the same for science programs, but this is the case for my program.

Doubt there's much harm in mentioning your uni, if anything it might help some here who are interested in going there.

I'd prefer a biased opinion if it forces me to go research a bit and find things out for myself.
Reply 30
Original post by Zilch
I'm in my second year at McGill in the Joint Honours Econ/Math program. If you guys have any questions, let me know.

Hi just wanted to ask a few questions about McGill :smile:
I am completing my AS courses right now and I am taking 5
(Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Arabic) and art subsidiary (BTEC course) and my target grades are all As in my AS courses and a double distinction in art (equivalent to an A) and I was wondering if it is possible to get into certain universities wit just AS grades (without completing full a-levels)

I want to study architecture and I am aware that it is very competitive- my first option is McGill and I read on their site that they accept either a minimum of 3 a-levels (AAA for architecture) or 2 a-levels and 2 different AS levels. But I have friends who told me that they make a few exceptions if you have a good amount of AS subjects with exceptional grades (As). And I also know (100% sure) that with a lot of other Canadian Universities, they accept either a minimum of 2 full a-levels or just 4 AS levels. I have a friend who got into McMaster with 4 AS levels and UBC as well with 4 AS levels and I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into McGill with 5 AS levels ..?

Also since I want to apply for architecture, they need a portfolio (the portfolio is taken into account when reviewing applications) so basically my question is do I have a good chance of getting in with just AS grades if I get 5 As and have a strong portfolio?
Oh and for GCSEs I took Maths (A*), 3 sciences (A* in physics, A*chem and an A in bio) , English (A* in lit and A in language), french (A*), economics (A), art (A*) , history (A*), arabic (A*) and further maths (C)

Please please help mee
Original post by deadgrotty
Hi just wanted to ask a few questions about McGill :smile:
I am completing my AS courses right now and I am taking 5
(Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Arabic) and art subsidiary (BTEC course) and my target grades are all As in my AS courses and a double distinction in art (equivalent to an A) and I was wondering if it is possible to get into certain universities wit just AS grades (without completing full a-levels)

I want to study architecture and I am aware that it is very competitive- my first option is McGill and I read on their site that they accept either a minimum of 3 a-levels (AAA for architecture) or 2 a-levels and 2 different AS levels. But I have friends who told me that they make a few exceptions if you have a good amount of AS subjects with exceptional grades (As). And I also know (100% sure) that with a lot of other Canadian Universities, they accept either a minimum of 2 full a-levels or just 4 AS levels. I have a friend who got into McMaster with 4 AS levels and UBC as well with 4 AS levels and I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into McGill with 5 AS levels ..?

Also since I want to apply for architecture, they need a portfolio (the portfolio is taken into account when reviewing applications) so basically my question is do I have a good chance of getting in with just AS grades if I get 5 As and have a strong portfolio?
Oh and for GCSEs I took Maths (A*), 3 sciences (A* in physics, A*chem and an A in bio) , English (A* in lit and A in language), french (A*), economics (A), art (A*) , history (A*), arabic (A*) and further maths (C)

Please please help mee

(Current McGill Student)

Pretty sure you need A2s to apply here, however best bet is just email admissions department and ask.
http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/admissionsguide/standards/al

the way this is written makes it sounds like you must complete a2 as well. anyways, even if it wasnt the case for some reason...you're at the final stretch of your academic career (before uni, that is). you might as well finish a2.
Reply 33
Nice to see that you are choosing political science! Sounds like you are taking a few safety schools, which is a good idea. Hope you get into the university of your choice! Let me know if you need any help, since I am studying political science at a Canadian institution right now. :smile:

Um, I would say that you should be fine with most of the programs you've applied for, although I'm not too sure if you will get into electrical engineering at U of T. Engineering is one of the more competitive programs at U of T and you will need higher grades to be considered competitive. I wouldn't say 100% you wouldn't get in, but don't give yourself too much hope, since you might be disappointed in the end. Good luck!

Uhhh. Engineering is soooo easy to get into at UofT. The only hard program is Engineering Science and even that is doable. Trust me, if you plan on doing well at UofT, you wouldn't need to apply to a safety school.
Original post by ukmed108
Uhhh. Engineering is soooo easy to get into at UofT. The only hard program is Engineering Science and even that is doable. Trust me, if you plan on doing well at UofT, you wouldn't need to apply to a safety school.

The thing is...is it possible that he get in with his grades? In my opinion, I think he is still lacking a bit, but then engineering isn't his first choice, so it doesn't matter.

I think the reason why he's applying to safety schools is because he had to fill up his quota for OUAC. Since there are a maximum of three choices, why not use up all the spots?
Reply 35
The thing is...is it possible that he get in with his grades? In my opinion, I think he is still lacking a bit, but then engineering isn't his first choice, so it doesn't matter.

I think the reason why he's applying to safety schools is because he had to fill up his quota for OUAC. Since there are a maximum of three choices, why not use up all the spots?

Truth be told he will get in. 1st of all, A levels are more advanced than Canadian Gr. 12. 2nd of all, UofT has very low standards for entry. Engineering Sciences is a much more difficult course to get into where you would probably be better off with AAB or AAA.
Ok I have gotten all the documents from my school in a sealed envelope along with a covering letter from my head teacher. Will post it soon and hope for the best!

My first choice is maths/physics then electrical engineering if all fails. Also how do credit transfer work? I read on the website but couldn't understand it all.
Any of you guys currently studying at UofT? If yes, please share your experience.
And goodluck to all those applying for 2014 September intake!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok I have gotten all the documents from my school in a sealed envelope along with a covering letter from my head teacher. Will post it soon and hope for the best!

My first choice is maths/physics then electrical engineering if all fails. Also how do credit transfer work? I read on the website but couldn't understand it all.
Any of you guys currently studying at UofT? If yes, please share your experience.
And goodluck to all those applying for 2014 September intake!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What it means is that whatever courses you took that are eligible for credit will go towards your program. That means you will have a few less first-year courses that you will have to take during your first year.
What it means is that whatever courses you took that are eligible for credit will go towards your program. That means you will have a few less first-year courses that you will have to take during your first year.

But is it advisable to skip those courses? or should I take them just in case they cover some basics for the next year?
But is it advisable to skip those courses? or should I take them just in case they cover some basics for the next year?

I think it all depends on how well you know the material when you learned it for your A-levels. If you know them well, then it would be fine to take the credit. If not, then I would recommend taking it again so that you can reinforce your knowledge of the material.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending