The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston Uni Student Accommodation Advice

My past experience on student accommodation near Kingston University. Hope this helps.

Location: Greencoat House managed by Unite Student Accommodation, Kingston Upon Thames

Stay period: 2012/13

I have lived in Greencoat House for the 2012/13 academic year. However, it is absolutely the worst student accommodation that I have ever lived before.

Greencoat House, which is situated in Kingston Upon Thames, is managed by Unite Student Accommodation. The photos and all the booking procedures listed in the Unite website are detailed and looks to be a reliable student accommodation, considering the scale it covered in the whole UK.

However, the actual management onsite is absolutely not satisfactory once I have moved in. I rented a single student studio in Greencoat House. I have to say all of room facilities are in satisfactory condition, with no broken pieces. However, it is all about the management which messed up all my experience in staying in Greencoat House.

Firstly, the fire alarm rang on almost THREE to FOUR times per week. I am not sure whether it is a fire alarm or someone deliberately set on the fire alarm just for fun, the fire alarm just ranged TOO frequently. Sometimes during daytime, sometimes during midnight, without any notice. It is not acceptable to trouble a paid customer for such a frequent amount of disturbance.

Secondly, there is at least ONE maintenance access to your room every SINGLE week, considering I am staying in that building for a year. The number of times to access the student room is too frequent and not acceptable. Also, there will surely have other workers (i.e. strangers) outside your room door every week. This cause unreliable and unsafe feeling to my room safety, considering they also have the right to access the room.

Thirdly, some of the public facilities situated inside the building is also not acceptable. For example, there is no space for dropping garbage inside the building and you have to carry your own stinky garbage walking right front of the crowded Kingston rail station and turn to the building backspace (i.e. car park) to drop your garbage.

In conclusion, all of the points that I have mentioned above did not exist in other student accommodation that I have lived in. For example, I have lived in Nido Spitalfields in the year which the building is also newly opened. They DO NOT have all of problems mentioned above. They have the private garbage space every floor, and there is only one to two times in ONE YEAR the fire alarm has rang or the room required maintenance. The Greeencoat Staff argued that it is a new building thus it is not doubt that there will be some issues. In fact, I have to say I don't care what problem you have because I am a paid customer to stay that building and thus I am expected the standard FULFILLS the price. If the building is not ready, do not open it.

A Kingston University Student

Summary: Awful
Reply 1
Thank you for your advice! I will be sure not to stay at Greencoat House!

Have you heard of any experiences with iQ Wave?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by loun80

Have you heard of any experiences with iQ Wave?

There are a few people on my course in iQ and they seem to be happy. The size is not bad (as for the halls) and they have separate kitchens
Reply 3
Oh that's great. I'd love to live in private accommodation but it seems like there's a lack of listings on rental websites. How's the atmosphere at halls and iQ? I'm a post grad and I'm worried it will be too wild for me.
I've also heard similar things about greencoat house, definitely going to avoid that one.

In terms of IQ, i recently read a thread where a group of residents were so upset with how they were dealt with and their stay (I think it was hoxton?) they decided to launch a smear campaign (kinda).

Either way, I ended up using a review website to find and book mine called hall bookers, thought it may be useful for everyone!

Good luck!
Reply 5
hey To anyone who is reading this I think that is not fair.
I lived in Grenncoat House in the academic year 2015/2016 and enjoyed all the bits and pices in my stay.
For example as soon as i moved in , I could almost not believe how clean is the building,the corridors and overall everything in general. Even my room was handled in very clean and all was perfect with it.
In my first year i lived in halls,my second year in private tenancy but none was as good as Green coat House, i had so much unexpected fun here. Even the staff members know how to party, and how students are like.
Its also very easy to make friends in the common room, You can play pool,ping pong Xbox, watch TV do all sorts of activities,

Honestly i had a great time and i cant really believe that other people are not . It just simply great and i highly recommend it for any kind of students
The best decision i ever made recently was to stay at Amro Property Greencoat House.The best value of money for a private accommodation in Kingston Upon Thames. i am having a very pleasant stay over here and have never faced any sort of problem here.They have very good amenities like extra room with a snooker table and a table tennis table plus a large lcd tv with free xbox attached to it.The wifi is very good and has a very good speed also which is provided as complimentary by the accommodation.I had some few problems in the bathroom and some electrical appliances but they were replaced in just a day Thanks To Frances who is always there to resolve any problem faced by the tenants.The accommodation is close to everything like we have gym just opposite and same with the kingston railway station as well as Cromwell bus station which acts as a easy way to travel to central London as well as university in no matter of time. Ultimately i would recommend everyone to stay here Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending