The Student Room Group

bestfriends turned into..

hi all

has anyone ever dated one of their closest friends?

many ppl say that you lose more than you gain when you go out with your bestfriend, since its so hard to be as close friends as before if you break up.

and also how do you think it works? how can u suddenly start seeing someone that feels like a "brother" as a boyfriend?

any kind of opinion concerning the "best friends turning into boyfriend/girlfriend" wil be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply 1
How could you date someone that feels like your brother/sister? In a way it sound incest-ish.
Reply 2
Ive dated 2 of my close friends, one was slighty younger than me, and his immaturity started to become more apparent. He ended up 2 timing me with his ex, and i could never forgive him for it. Ive not seen him or spoke to him since then, but then again i probabily would of lost touch with him, as soon as i started university anyway.

My second friend is a few years older than me. Ive never been so happy, i think we become so close friends because there was chemstry there. Its been almost 4 months and i have no regrets of risking a freindship for this.

Ive never had a close friendship with any of my friends that its like their a sibling type relationship. So i cant help you there.
Reply 3
Because my real brother is so unreliable I totally see my best friend like a brother, this was weird for many people at first and there was lots of speculation if we would get together or not cause we are so close. Just remember that boyfriends come and go but you can keep your mates forever. how cliche.
Reply 4
Unless your best friend happens to be your soul mate too. Im not saying it works everytime, but sometimes you have a gut feeling saying risk it and others you dont.
Reply 5
if theres a chemistry between u and ur mate i think it would be hard not to move it further anyway..
Well, my boyfriend was a very close friend before we started going out. But I think when we met, there was quite a bit of chemistry, but the timing wasn't right to start a relationship. He went off to uni, but we talked practically every night on the phone, or msn, and fairly quickly found out that we had a hell of a lot in common, and got to know each other very well. Despite the fact that I'd only known him sixth months or so, I'd say it probably got to the stage where he was one of my best friends.
Anyway, he came home for the Xmas hols, and we decided to give it a go! Was a bit weird, being long distance, but it worked out really well in the end. We've been going out a year and a half, to the day! :smile:
My advice - go for it if you really like the guy, and think it could work. Don't just do it as a safety net, because you know you can trust him, and that he won't just be after you for sex.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
yea i guess it does sound "incest"ish the way I posted the first post. wat i mean is that he used to be like a brother to me, but suddenly after one nite of just the two of us, he suddenly felt like much more.

i guess not everything needs to be explained, but if anyone has felt like this before, cud you just share wat u think?

Latest

Trending

Trending