The Student Room Group

Should I drop Biology A2 or keep it ?

I am currently studying English Lit & Lang A2, Biology A2, Psychology A2 and Sociology AS. The reason why I picked up Sociology was due to the possibility of me failing Biology and having to retake the year.

I want to be a physiotherapist and I need Biology but the problem is, last year for AS I got an E and I literally put in all my hard work out of all my subjects and that was the lowest I got ! I think its down to exam technique and I really wanted to work on it. I decided to go onto A2 with the intention of working hard and redoing my AS units while doing past papers as a way of improving. THE PROBLEM ISSS, I literally can't focus in lesson, neither can I find the motivation to revise at home. I feel like my AS grade has really scarred me ...

Every time I revise I just feel like i'm wasting my time and I don't know whether I should go back to AS and try to work on my exam technique, but in doing so, I'd have to retake the year since my course requires 3 full A-levels and i'd be left with 2 A2S and 2 AS ...Or an alternative; Work my but off in A2 and retake my AS units even though I literally knew most of the bloody content ..which was my original intention but risk failing Biology being left with subjects that do not allow me onto the course I want.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
If you need Biology, there is no point in dropping the subject and I suggest dropping Sociology; you don't want extra stress and when you're in sociology, all you will think is 'I'm going to fail Biology and this is the back up'.

You need to pick up and move on from the E; if you are doing AQA Biology then your problem lies in exam technique and not knowledge (I was EXACTLY the same) and when you master the technique you'll find your exams go much easier. I went from a very low B in AS and managed to pull it up to nearly full marks in A2 (full marks in BIOL4 and a few off in 5) and resitting every AS biology exam in A2 was the best decision I ever made.

Talk to your teacher and try to get as many practice questions as you can; analyse the mark schemes and work out what exactly they want from you (e.g. keywords, sentences). When you start to understand what they want, your motivation may start to come back to you and you need it for A2. If you want to be a physiotherapist then your motivation will come back if you think of how amazing it will be to go to Uni and study your chosen course. When you start to score highly in your practise papers, put them on your wall at home; it'll be a massive confidence boost for you. :smile:

Basically what I'm trying to get across is: Don't give up now, a year can change everything!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending