The Student Room Group

Job/career ideas for a social recluse.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by emanuil_tolev

Thanks for your detailed reply, I much appreciate it.

For the record, it's not so much that I can't empathise or that I can't put myself in other peoples' shoes, it's more about being unable to deal with people constantly judging and scrutinising everything about me. I just hate feeling peoples' eyes on me, it makes me so uncomfortable y'know.
Reply 21
Original post by Paul PTS
I only may imagine how would you feel yourself in Russia, where people are mentally much more curious, and among the majority of population the words "GTFO" are quite usual. There are many such people which just sit near you in the train and continue to ask you different questions all the road. It would be nice if you like the person, but if it would be otherwise or you would have a bad mood this day.

At least in Russia you have 2 million+ square miles of sparsely populated forest to escape into. Britain, on the other hand, is one of the most crowded countries in the world. I think if I lived in Russia I'd probably become a hermit and live in a little hut in the woods. :tongue:
Reply 22
So what are you doing right now? Are you in some form of employment? Online degree?
Reply 23
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
So what are you doing right now? Are you in some form of employment? Online degree?

I've taken some Open University modules, but basically I currently sponge off of my parents. Why do you ask?
Reply 24
Doing research at an outpost in Alaska or the North Pole or something?
Reply 25
So what, are you content the way you are? Because if not then all you are doing is giving up.

'Probably' having a disorder isn't good enough reason to give up. Seek help you moron.

He hasn't been nasty to anyone yet you fire an unnecessary insult at him? You don't know how he feels everyday or how he struggles. You also need help it appears.

And you call him stupid in a follow up post? You might wanna stop now bud. Besides there is nothing in this post that suggests he is. Researching to find out what his problem is and looking for ways to overcome it is quite the opposite. Finding a job that he is comfortable in even if it is with little interaction is a smart thing to do. People with anxiety disorders or whatever find coping mechanisms to live normal lives and if this means him getting a job with little interaction, then good for him. It is a step closer to living a 'normal' life, gives him financial independence and is ultimately better than being jobless with no social interaction.

Besides getting a job which involves working alone would not stop him trying to combat his problems alongside work.

Good luck OP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Bonoahx
You could start your own online web service, but you won't yield much of a profit if you do this by yourself. I suppose you could be the guy who sits in a room all day in case you need to fire a nuclear missile.

Honestly, if you think you have a psychological issue, then you need to see a GP about it (if you're going so far you don't want to go out when people are around this is important). They could refer you to a psychiatrist who will help you with techniques to be more comfortable around people.

You know as field-marshall Suvorov had said: " Vek derjis ot doctorov, vot i budesh ti zdorov. " It means: "Hold the doctors on the distance for a century, so you'll be health. "
The life may change him.
There was time, when my school was in 10 minutes walk from home... And the chavs were my terror... After that I had to go to Moscow day by day for 8 years. And I had changed a lot just in two years. So once, when I read in newspaper that several muslim migrants not just rob, but also scalped a man on the way from metro station to the institute, where I had studied... I wasn't much scared or confused. I just went to the store on the railroad station and bought a longer knife.
In reality the life had changed the people during all human history. Without any doctors. It seems that the life is just not so active and interesting as it could be ages ago, when your country was Great Empire and you could join Army easily and fight over the sees. Or you could become pirate and assault Spanish ships.
Now... In my country we don't have such medicine as you have. We don't have nor such kind doctors nor even free "magic pills" from the state. All the medicine cost money, and except the medicine there are it's competitors now: priests who offer you to become health by donating God through them, and wizards, who have captured Russian TV.
Have you seen the advertisement of the TV show on one of our Russian TV channels? :biggrin:
The Death (who looks like in the mediavel stories) came to the old Russian woman to take her, but she hired on her last money the priest and the wizard, who made the death run away. Quite usual scenario of modern Russian TV show, either there appear a priest, either wizard, either if the deal is difficult - they come together. :colondollar:
Reply 27
Original post by Futility
I've taken some Open University modules, but basically I currently sponge off of my parents. Why do you ask?

I just wanted validation that you aren't trying at all yet. You've done some modules in open uni so I was wrong, I guess.
Original post by kratos90
He hasn't been nasty to anyone yet you fire an unnecessary insult at him? You don't know how he feels everyday or how he struggles. You also need help it appears.

I think he is being a moron and so I said it. Why use a pretence and reserve actual thoughts for when someone "deserves" it? That's just plain nonsense.
Thanks for the consult. :yep:
My source was the World Health Organisation, which lists the symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder as:

Spoiler

Of which I have experienced all but one.

And I'd be the first to admit that I have numerous flaws, but stupidity isn't one of them.

Looking at lists of symptoms isn't that good as a self-diagnosis tool, because these lists are written by and for professionals. For example, professional psychologists have had years of training on the scale of severity required to qualify something as a disorder. Even when medics are just looking at lists of symptoms on the internet, they're looking through a very highly educated lens.

The other issue is that a lot of disorders blend into each other, if you just look at written criteria. You might have Avoidant Personality Disorder. You might have something else. You might even have Avoidant Personality Disorder plus another disorder, which is magnifying the effects of the APD.

Go to a doctor, and get a referral to a clinical psychologist.
Reply 29
I just wanted validation that you aren't trying at all yet. You've done some modules in open uni so I was wrong, I guess.

I think he is being a moron and so I said it. Why use a pretence and reserve actual thoughts for when someone "deserves" it? That's just plain nonsense.
Thanks for the consult. :yep:

Read the rest of my post for an explanation on why he isn't being stupid. I'd be surprised if you even have a job that involves social interaction yourself. More than likely you are just a student who spends most of his evenings alone studying, which is fine. It just doesn't give you the right to insult OP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Looking at lists of symptoms isn't that good as a self-diagnosis tool, because these lists are written by and for professionals. For example, professional psychologists have had years of training on the scale of severity required to qualify something as a disorder. Even when medics are just looking at lists of symptoms on the internet, they're looking through a very highly educated lens.

The other issue is that a lot of disorders blend into each other, if you just look at written criteria. You might have Avoidant Personality Disorder. You might have something else. You might even have Avoidant Personality Disorder plus another disorder, which is magnifying the effects of the APD.

Go to a doctor, and get a referral to a clinical psychologist.

I understand what you're saying and I'm grateful for your advice. However, I must maintain that I do not see how getting diagnosed with a personality disorder (or being told that there's nothing psychologically wrong with me) would change anything or in any way improve my situation.

Firstly, I must reiterate that I avoid leaving the house when people are around unless it's absolutely necessary (the last time I left the house in daylight was about two months ago). It is greatly affecting my life and it therefore seems pretty severe to me. As you point out, I'm not a doctor, so I cannot say for sure, but it doesn't really matter either way; if I do have avoidant personality disorder (or something similar) the treatment has a very low effectiveness rate and probably won't make any difference, if I don't then I won't get treated at all. Either way it does me no good at all. It's probably also worth noting that the commonly recommended treatment i.e. group therapy, would be an absolute nightmare for me.

The conclusion I've come to is consequently that I need to find a way to live with my situation as best I can, which I reason I can do by finding a job which involves minimal interaction with people. Hence this thread.
Reply 31
Good luck OP.

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 32
OP, there's not really such a job. Research was probably a good choice for such people until 50 years ago, but these days there is a lot of interaction in day-to-day work, talks, conferences and so on. The people you will work with are mostly normal, sociable people and would expect to have normal chatty conversations with you.

Likewise, software development - you would need to interact with clients to get contracts, find out requirements, test prototypes, and with other programmers to write the code. Although perhaps there are more people with inclinations like yours who become programmers, so people in that industry may be slightly more accepting.

IT support may be something to look into. At my last place of work, this was a job held by one person who just came by if someone had a problem to fix it. He had a somewhat secluded office, he didn't talk much and he didn't have to, except sometimes to check facts.

I would suggest moving to Finland. (I'm serious.) I've heard that Finns in general are more seclusive than southern Europeans. So they may be more accepting.

But yeah, I understand. Theoretically, happiness does not depend on other people so long as you are not forced to be around them. In practice, however, you will not be able to avoid them completely, and you may find that people - generally the more judgmental the more "normal" they are - may make it their business to make you unhappy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
I understand what you're saying and I'm grateful for your advice. However, I must maintain that I do not see how getting diagnosed with a personality disorder (or being told that there's nothing psychologically wrong with me) would change anything or in any way improve my situation.

I understand what you are saying; I would just like to point out that it could help in the sense that, if you are officially diagnosed, you could tell your employers and ask for special adjustments, like (perhaps) working from home wherever possible. That would make your life much easier.
Reply 34
Work on conquering your fears rather than accommodating them. I used to be like you, wanting the most isolating career possible. With the help of a therapist my social anxiety issues have reduced enough that I am now studying for a degree in nursing. It's not easy, but you're setting yourself up for a rather miserable life if you don't interact with others and go for a career which you probably don't have a passion for.
Some sort of forest ranger. I read about a job like this maybe six months ago. The applicant is left isolated for months on end.
Original post by Paul PTS
You know as field-marshall Suvorov had said: " Vek derjis ot doctorov, vot i budesh ti zdorov. " It means: "Hold the doctors on the distance for a century, so you'll be health. "
The life may change him.
There was time, when my school was in 10 minutes walk from home... And the chavs were my terror... After that I had to go to Moscow day by day for 8 years. And I had changed a lot just in two years. So once, when I read in newspaper that several muslim migrants not just rob, but also scalped a man on the way from metro station to the institute, where I had studied... I wasn't much scared or confused. I just went to the store on the railroad station and bought a longer knife.
In reality the life had changed the people during all human history. Without any doctors. It seems that the life is just not so active and interesting as it could be ages ago, when your country was Great Empire and you could join Army easily and fight over the sees. Or you could become pirate and assault Spanish ships.
Now... In my country we don't have such medicine as you have. We don't have nor such kind doctors nor even free "magic pills" from the state. All the medicine cost money, and except the medicine there are it's competitors now: priests who offer you to become health by donating God through them, and wizards, who have captured Russian TV.
Have you seen the advertisement of the TV show on one of our Russian TV channels? :biggrin:
The Death (who looks like in the mediavel stories) came to the old Russian woman to take her, but she hired on her last money the priest and the wizard, who made the death run away. Quite usual scenario of modern Russian TV show, either there appear a priest, either wizard, either if the deal is difficult - they come together. :colondollar:

I'm very sorry but that's gone over my head. What's the moral of the story?
Reply 37
Read the rest of my post for an explanation on why he isn't being stupid. I'd be surprised if you even have a job that involves social interaction yourself. More than likely you are just a student who spends most of his evenings alone studying, which is fine. It just doesn't give you the right to insult OP.

I read the whole thing. Sane people can be irrational and so can insane. I'm not saying he's either but a mental condition doesn't exempt you from rationality.

Actually, I do. I'm also captain of a national sports team and president 2 societies. Just because in blunt that doesn't mean I'm incapable of interaction. Your not very bright, are you?
Reply 38
Original post by los lobos marinos
Some sort of forest ranger. I read about a job like this maybe six months ago. The applicant is left isolated for months on end.

It would be amazing. :smile: Certainly if you don't have allergy or something else.
For example if you go to forest, you should have perfect health. Deer fly bite me many times. It rides on your cloth for half an hour, and when you stop, it tries to get on your neck, or climb into your hairs. It even may through off the wings, when it caught you. Fortunately I don't have allergy. Wasps also may bite in the forest, not so often as deer fly, but more painful. The deer fly is disgusting, but the wasp is painful. After the wasp and deer fly bites, mosquitoes don't trouble you so much. :rolleyes: As for the ticks - the right cloth saves from them. This summer-autumn I visited the forest about 20 times and got no ticks.
Reply 39
I read the whole thing. Sane people can be irrational and so can insane. I'm not saying he's either but a mental condition doesn't exempt you from rationality.

Actually, I do. I'm also captain of a national sports team and president 2 societies. Just because in blunt that doesn't mean I'm incapable of interaction. Your not very bright, are you?

*You're. Oh the irony. I'm bright enough to get on a graduate scheme. End of argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending