The Student Room Group

A Level Students: How Are You Spending Your Free Time?

This is something I've been worrying about for a while, because school heaps loads of pressure on A Level students to organise time well, make the most of everything, stay focused, work hard, etc. blah blah.

Thus I feel guilty whenever I'm not doing something 'productive' and keep questioning the meaning of that word. Does anyone else worry about how they're spending time outside school, or worry about how other students/friends are spending theirs?

I personally do a few hours of volunteering every week, an hour or two on my EPQ (and a few hours daily this half term), a couple of hours writing blogs, and all my homework in my free periods at school. This all feels 'productive', but then there's hours left that I feel I'm 'wasting' by watching youtube clips, on twitter or or doing jobs around the house. Plus, having to spend nearly an hour walking to and from school each day feels like a waste of time.

How do you spend your week? Are you 'focused on your future' and do you think there's too much pressure to do this (at least for people who care about that stuff)?

Scroll to see replies

I do all of my work in the evenings, (revision, homework, EPQ, etc) and I also used to get that guilty feeling when I wasn't doing something related to studying at other times during the day.

I tried to combat it by finding work to do all the time, but I quickly became burned out.

If we want to succeed, there needs to be a balance between work and other activities.
Reply 2
Original post by MelonSponge
I do all of my work in the evenings, (revision, homework, EPQ, etc) and I also used to get that guilty feeling when I wasn't doing something related to studying at other times during the day.

I tried to combat it by finding work to do all the time, but I quickly became burned out.

If we want to succeed, there needs to be a balance between work and other activities.

I couldn't bring myself to do work in the evenings. Too tired by then. And yes, I try to get that balance but still worry that others are getting more revision/paid work done than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SoggyTractor
I couldn't bring myself to do work in the evenings. Too tired by then. And yes, I try to get that balance but still worry that others are getting more revision/paid work done than me.

All that matters is that you get enough work done so that you meet the standard you are happy with in tests. Other people might struggle more, and so may have to do a lot more work to meet the same standard.

Required study time is all relative to the student.

I'm quite a night owl, so I find it easiest to work from 9pm onwards. Maybe you should experiment with your schedule and find the perfect conditions to work in.

In regards to work, I quit my job in April this year in anticipation of the Summer exams and my A2 studies. This was probably one of the best decisions I have made, as I have more free time and am only under pressure from college. I'd recommend not working unless you really have to.
Free time doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MelonSponge
All that matters is that you get enough work done so that you meet the standard you are happy with in tests. Other people might struggle more, and so may have to do a lot more work to meet the same standard.

Required study time is all relative to the student.

I'm quite a night owl, so I find it easiest to work from 9pm onwards. Maybe you should experiment with your schedule and find the perfect conditions to work in.

In regards to work, I quit my job in April this year in anticipation of the Summer exams and my A2 studies. This was probably one of the best decisions I have made, as I have more free time and am only under pressure from college. I'd recommend not working unless you really have to.

Truuuuuee, but not having a job just makes me jealous of the money everyone else in my year group is making. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ibraheem Ahmad
Free time doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate stop wasting your time yoy could be doing your epq right now.
Lol seriously though chill out.. You are only 17/18 don't take so much stress.
Reply 8
TSR, watching Doctor Who/Breaking Bad/ Game of Thrones/ Running / Badminton / Youtube
I use a timetable to plan my days.
And in the timetable, i include everything i want to do during the day from when i wake up in the morning to when i go sleep in the late evening.

My free time is basically just...
-tsr
-watching tv/films
-playing video games
-on some occasions, going out
I find that as long as you have that guilt going in your mind, you should be doing something even whilst you're not doing it- you end up doing better. Idk why, maybe it's just me.
Poorly because I'm unwell lol. :frown:
Sleeping
Reply 13
Internet, watch TV shows, I do about an hour of work every school night (less than average, i know) and about 2-3 hours in the weekend :P
Reply 14
Original post by SoggyTractor
This is something I've been worrying about for a while, because school heaps loads of pressure on A Level students to organise time well, make the most of everything, stay focused, work hard, etc. blah blah.

Thus I feel guilty whenever I'm not doing something 'productive' and keep questioning the meaning of that word. Does anyone else worry about how they're spending time outside school, or worry about how other students/friends are spending theirs?

I personally do a few hours of volunteering every week, an hour or two on my EPQ (and a few hours daily this half term), a couple of hours writing blogs, and all my homework in my free periods at school. This all feels 'productive', but then there's hours left that I feel I'm 'wasting' by watching youtube clips, on twitter or or doing jobs around the house. Plus, having to spend nearly an hour walking to and from school each day feels like a waste of time.

How do you spend your week? Are you 'focused on your future' and do you think there's too much pressure to do this (at least for people who care about that stuff)?

The last part of this I can completely relate to. In my final A level year (last year) I was panicking so much and always felt guilty if i wasn't working. I'd be stressed because I always thought I was wasting time. One tip - If you have a watch, get rid of it. You become obsessed with looking at the time, and you'll try to work 24/7. Tip two - It's hard but try to tell yourself you need a break occasionally to just hang out and watch television. I did this in the final couple of weeks, prior to that I was studying 9am -10pm with only 1-2 hour breaks for TV (Which isn't healthy).

Hope all this helps,

Ben
>free time
top lel
Reply 16
THE STUDENT ROOM!!!!!!!!

Nowhere else to go
:colone:
Reply 17
Hey are you year 12 or 13? When did you begin your epq?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymouspie227
Poorly because I'm unwell lol. :frown:

Get well soon :smile:
Original post by Tha Realest
Get well soon :smile:

Aw thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending