The Student Room Group

How often are you at uni on an art BA ?

I want to do illustration and I don’t know if I want to do part time possibly. How long are people who study art subjects in uni for during a week ?
Reply 1
I don't know about illustration, I did Interior Architecture and was on campus 3 or 4 days a week. It depended on what lectures we had (this was pre-COVID). As for total study time, it was between 30-50 hours a week, but I did most from home
Creative courses are intensive in terms of on campus time (both teaching time and studio time).

How many hours a week do you think you can spend studying?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Creative courses are intensive in terms of on campus time (both teaching time and studio time).

How many hours a week do you think you can spend studying?

im not sure , just preferably wanting not a full week like with college I have one or two days off plus I was wanting to work an extra day
Reply 4
I'm doing a Fine Art BA , studio is open 7am-9pm Mon-Fri. Scheduled/mandatory attendance is
Monday 10-1
Tuesday 10-5
Wednesday (online) 1-2
Thursday 10-1

I spend between 3 - 9 hours a day working on things for my course, regardless of the schedule. But I am a perfectionist and know people who spend less time. Their grades may/may not reflect this however - it can really depend on what you are actually producing. I work weekends 2-9pm.
Original post by vlvtlix
I want to do illustration and I don’t know if I want to do part time possibly. How long are people who study art subjects in uni for during a week ?

Hi @vlvtlix

I am currently in my first year studying Fashion Promotion and Communication at Kingston and so have asked my flatmate who is studying Illustration Animation BA who said they have lectures/workshops/tutorials everyday apart from Wednesday which is online. However they believe that each year this will reduce as they start to do more independent study/work.

My current timetable is
Mon 10-12
Tue 10-12 & 1-3
Wed 10-1
Thu (day off)
Fri 10-1 & 2-4
My lectures suggest to do 40 hours of work a week which includes the lectures listed above, I use this to timetable my week and organise how much free time I will for other commitments and work.

There is some information here Part-time courses - Find the right course for you - How to apply - Courses - Undergraduate study - Kingston University London that could provide you with some more information about part time courses. I think it would also be good to visit open days and ask as each uni is quite different or maybe contact the Illustration departments.

Also there is lots of part-time work opportunities that are great for students to be able to work alongside study such as my current job as a Student Ambassador you can apply for work that suits your schedule. Other jobs that I think can work with a student timetable are things like being a nanny, hospitality work and retail that often have half day or afternoon/evening shifts.

I hope this helps with trying to figure out how much free time you may have at university. Any other questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Grace (Kingston Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest