The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Here's the Dentistry connect/stalking Page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi I am hoping to apply for dentistry next year, but I am really scared because my GCSEs isn't great and also the UKCAT exam etc. I have took biology, chemistry, business studies and btech travel and tourism
Reply 2
whats RS? And I don't know, the main subjects you need are Biology and Chemistry grade A and another subject that is also grade A. I will drop my Btech for A2 so it wont be counted as my A level. I am predicted a distinction in it which is A equivalent. What your opinion on my subjects? do you think I cant get in?
Reply 3
The only reason I am doing the Btech is because I wanted to be a cabin crew, but now I want to be a dentist. So....I will definitely drop it for second year. But I know someone who got into Aston university Birmingham with btech
Reply 4
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
hey guys if u wanna buy some ukcat books i have two brand new and really good to revise from. PM me if you want some more information. Good luck with applications xxx
Reply 6
Hey guys, seeing as your the keenest of keen applicants and probably more likley to want to get a head start, you should have a look at the Dentistry Mock Interview day thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2531122&p=45508485

It's open to year 12's as well as year 13's, don't worry about not having a personal statement, we have our ways around that. It's going to be a really useful day and you can never have enough interview practice, we can also advise you on what best to do with your time between now and when you apply as well as what to look for on your work experience and little tips about personal statement writing and interviews which can make all the difference in what is a very competitive subject. All the people working on the day will be dental students so you can rest assured that they've all been through what you're going to go through.

The day is being held on the 11th of January in the Garrod building at Barts on the whitechapel campus. The cost will be ÂŁ13, if you're interested, just contact me on [email protected].

Cheers guys,
Ryan.
Reply 7
Original post by Indiee
hey guys if u wanna buy some ukcat books i have two brand new and really good to revise from. PM me if you want some more information. Good luck with applications xxx

Thank you! Xo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kartace
Hey guys, seeing as your the keenest of keen applicants and probably more likley to want to get a head start, you should have a look at the Dentistry Mock Interview day thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2531122&p=45508485

It's open to year 12's as well as year 13's, don't worry about not having a personal statement, we have our ways around that. It's going to be a really useful day and you can never have enough interview practice, we can also advise you on what best to do with your time between now and when you apply as well as what to look for on your work experience and little tips about personal statement writing and interviews which can make all the difference in what is a very competitive subject. All the people working on the day will be dental students so you can rest assured that they've all been through what you're going to go through.

The day is being held on the 11th of January in the Garrod building at Barts on the whitechapel campus. The cost will be ÂŁ13, if you're interested, just contact me on [email protected].

Cheers guys,
Ryan.

This has made my day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I really want to do apply for dentistry but my GCSEs demotivate me a lot! (1A* 6A 3B)
Reply 10
Original post by Mackersr
I really want to do apply for dentistry but my GCSEs demotivate me a lot! (1A* 6A 3B)

Don't let that be what stops you! Believe me my friends in the year above have similar results to yours and have had interviews!!! Uni's focus more on A levels less on GCSE's
The only time they will look at your GCSE's is when there is a candidate of similar ability to yours and they don't know who they should go for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Indiee

Is UKCAT really difficult and how do you prepare for it ? :smile:
Reply 12
In which month do u start to do your ukcat and work e. ???
Original post by mimi007
In which month do u start to do your ukcat and work e. ???

Dental schools require minimum of 2 weeks work experience and preferably much more and also in different settings. Given that you need to apply in October for 2015 entry and given that it can be really difficult to secure work experience placements you should have started arranging work experience by now. Its good to get work experience sooner rather than later, after all, how do you know whether dentistry is for you unless you have work experience?
You make an appointment to sit the UKCAT during the Summer. You can sit it in September but the price goes up. Although lots of preparation is vital (e.g. using the 600 question book, online test questions etc) it is unwise to start preparing until after your AS levels. All effort at the moment should be put into getting fab AS results, work experience and volunteering (to demonstrate empathy, team work, commitment etc). Most people start working seriously on their UKCAT practice in the Summer holidays. A word of advice for 2015 applicants - go to as many Open Days as possible. You need to apply wisely and if you get a poor UKCAT score you may need to revise your initial choices.
Good luck!
Reply 14
Hiya!
That sounds really good, I do biology chemistry psychology and religious studies (hated maths at GCSE despite getting a good grade) I like Kings or Liverpool but I think I'm waiting for open days to get an actual feel of the place and people around me
Hbuuuuuu:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I haven't started UKCAT revision, I feel like I can't find anytime with normal work to fit it in :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Thanks so much! I was thinking places like Bart's, Dundee, Cardiff, plymouth and leeds. They all seem to be fine, i think! I feel good again lol
Reply 17
Biology is my favourite subject! I do OCR aswell and we should be starting the food and health section soon, I reckon that's gonna be the best part.
I know rightttt! It's February tomorrow how crazy is that? We have like dead serious mocks after the feb half term, serious to the extent where teachers have threatened to pull you out of the exam I'm really hoping they go as I would like them too!
I start exams on the 13th of May and finish on the 3rd of June. For the next three months I'm mainly focusing on understanding information and being able to apply it. After that a bit closer to exams I will start past papers... Damn pressure is on *sigh*
Yeah like my psychology lessons in particular are a complete waste of time I'm better of sleeping it's that bad. Biology is in the middle sometimes lessons are good other times there terrible but the teacher in general is a bad teacher. For chemistry I am sooo blessed to have the teacher I do she's a star! RS is a good teacher also. I'm more of an independent learner so **** teaching in bio and psychology I'm not too fussed about!
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Mackersr

Your grades a perfectly fine if they relate to the right subjects, so long as you've got a B in English (Lang) & a B in Maths at GCSE, your safe to go... Your AS levels (*Chem, *Bio & Maths)are what uni's want for dentistry course so no worries...:smile:

*Priority
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ilovesummerrr
Biology is my favourite subject! I do OCR aswell and we should be starting the food and health section soon, I reckon that's gonna be the best part.
I know rightttt! It's February tomorrow how crazy is that? We have like dead serious mocks after the feb half term, serious to the extent where teachers have threatened to pull you out of the exam I'm really hoping they go as I would like them too!
I start exams on the 13th of May and finish on the 3rd of June. For the next three months I'm mainly focusing on understanding information and being able to apply it. After that a bit closer to exams I will start past papers... Damn pressure is on *sigh*
Yeah like my psychology lessons in particular are a complete waste of time I'm better of sleeping it's that bad. Biology is in the middle sometimes lessons are good other times there terrible but the teacher in general is a bad teacher. For chemistry I am sooo blessed to have the teacher I do she's a star! RS is a good teacher also. I'm more of an independent learner so **** teaching in bio and psychology I'm not too fussed about!
X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also do OCR Biology! Are you doing OCR Chemistry as well? I'm so worried about my F212 Biology exam and my F322 Chemistry exam, they're the 2nd and 3rd of June, absolutely ridiculous that they're so close together!

Quick Reply

Latest