The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

any graduates looking to study dentistry in 2015? if so, where and what are you currently studying?

also, is this thread basically just people with 16 A*'s at GCSEs, AAAAA in AS Levels and 6 months work experience worrying about if they're 'suitable' for dentistry? have you even lived guys? we all know you're only in it for the money.
Original post by liammckkk
any graduates looking to study dentistry in 2015? if so, where and what are you currently studying?

also, is this thread basically just people with 16 A*'s at GCSEs, AAAAA in AS Levels and 6 months work experience worrying about if they're 'suitable' for dentistry? have you even lived guys? we all know you're only in it for the money.

are you applying for graduate entry? and just in it for the money?
Original post by AmyAintDead
Hi, I can't say for KCL or Unis that put a huge emphasis on the UKCAT, but I got 550 average for my UKCAT, it was a total disaster but I managed to get offers at Cardiff and Plymouth, which are both unis that require the UKCAT. Hope that makes you feel better!

You got stupidly lucky...
Original post by liammckkk

Good luck getting in jeff, specifically the interview
Aha I love how there are only 10 pages of this and over 200 for the medicine equivalent 😂
We should really make a stalking page or a applicants profile thread, because lets be honest everyone loves those :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MinionB
Aha I love how there are only 10 pages of this and over 200 for the medicine equivalent 😂
We should really make a stalking page or a applicants profile thread, because lets be honest everyone loves those :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are only 1000 dentistry students a year lol
Do you need work experience for every single dental school out there...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Do you need work experience for every single dental school out there...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeaa, the minimum requirement is 2 weeks in a NHS practice. Some don't have a minimum requirement, but they will definitely ask you sth abt work exp during ur interviews and ur PS will be rated according to ur quality and quantity of work exp (depends on uni)
You also give a better interview answer if you can relate to what you have observed in ur work exp
Reply 188
hey, if i apply for dental therapy/hygienist, would I still be able transfer/reapply to dentistry after i finish that course? thanks
guys i need urgent help,

this is my situation

3 A* 5 A 1B (English language) at gcse
AABB at as-level with A*AA predictions
557.5 in ukcat

where should i apply? or should i just take a gap year and see what to do then
I did pretty bad in my UKCAT and only got 607.5. Does anyone think I still have a shot at any of the UKCAT unis?

My stats are:
5A*s 3A's 1B at GCSE
AAAB AS-level
A*AA A-level predictions
3 weeks work experience in a dental practice and I'm doing an EPQ on cosmetic dentistry.

Original post by nora413
hey, if i apply for dental therapy/hygienist, would I still be able transfer/reapply to dentistry after i finish that course? thanks

I don't think you can transfer - you will have to re apply.
If you have a degree you can apply for either the 5 dental surgery degree or 4 year graduate entry programme (entry even more competitive). If you do go down this route you may have to self finance your studies because I don't think you can get a student loan for the course fees though I think you can get a maintenance loan.
Original post by sophiesummer12
I did pretty bad in my UKCAT and only got 607.5. Does anyone think I still have a shot at any of the UKCAT unis?

My stats are:
5A*s 3A's 1B at GCSE
AAAB AS-level
A*AA A-level predictions
3 weeks work experience in a dental practice and I'm doing an EPQ on cosmetic dentistry.

Amyaintdead got offers from Cardiff and Plymouth with I think 550 UKCAT 2014 entry. Not sure whether Manchester puts much emphasis on UKCAT.
The UKCAT cut offs will depend on mean averages. This year I think the UKCAT scores being achieved are a little bit lower than 2014 which could marginally be to your benefit. Think I would apply to 2 or 3 non-UKCAT unis to be on the safe side.
Reply 193
Original post by lois griffin
I don't think you can transfer - you will have to re apply.
If you have a degree you can apply for either the 5 dental surgery degree or 4 year graduate entry programme (entry even more competitive). If you do go down this route you may have to self finance your studies because I don't think you can get a student loan for the course fees though I think you can get a maintenance loan.

thanks for the reply :biggrin: i was just wondering if they'd accept someone with a dental therapy degree for the graduate entry because usually they say its possible with degree in biomedicine, ive never heard of any unis that allow the graduate entry program from dental therapy, do you know of any? thanks again :smile:
Original post by Miladrises
guys i need urgent help,

this is my situation

3 A* 5 A 1B (English language) at gcse
AABB at as-level with A*AA predictions
557.5 in ukcat

where should i apply? or should i just take a gap year and see what to do then

I think I would apply to non UKCAT unis but having said that Amyaintdead got offers from Cardiff and Plymouth with 550 score 2014 entry. This is a tricky one because some non UKCAT unis like very strong GCSE and AS levels whereas others seem to put more emphasis on work experience and volunteering.
How much work experience, volunteering etc have you done?
Original post by nora413
thanks for the reply :biggrin: i was just wondering if they'd accept someone with a dental therapy degree for the graduate entry because usually they say its possible with degree in biomedicine, ive never heard of any unis that allow the graduate entry program from dental therapy, do you know of any? thanks again :smile:

Sorry I don't know anyone who has done this - might be worth emailing the admission officers at the dental schools that offer GEP.
Anyone applying to Barts??
Hi Guy's, I'm currently a dental student and I am providing tuition lessons to help with Dental applications. This includes help and advice on the following:

Personal Statements
UKCAT preparation
Different routes into dentistry
Interview preparation, including mock questions in timed conditions

I am available in London, preferably zones 1 and 2.

Please PM me for more details.

Thank you.
Original post by lois griffin
Amyaintdead got offers from Cardiff and Plymouth with I think 550 UKCAT 2014 entry. Not sure whether Manchester puts much emphasis on UKCAT.
The UKCAT cut offs will depend on mean averages. This year I think the UKCAT scores being achieved are a little bit lower than 2014 which could marginally be to your benefit. Think I would apply to 2 or 3 non-UKCAT unis to be on the safe side.

I called Newcastle and they basically told me not to apply but Sheffield said it was fine because they don't use cut off scores, and the same with Manchester. I think I'll apply to Leeds and Liverpool too just in case!
Hey!

I got 4As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics for AS. I am also doing EPQ this year on a dental related subject.

For GCSE I got 1A* (Additional Science) 5As (Maths, Science Y10, Drama, Media, RE) and 5Bs (English Language and Literature, French, Electronics, Further Maths).

I did my UKCAT and got 640 average, bad I know, I just don’t know what to do now, I am hopefully applying to Queen Mary, Manchester, Plymouth and Leeds. Only thing is that I got 510 in the Verbal Reasoning section, will that hinder my application?

Also I have heard that Leeds is hard to get into, but I am hoping to do well in the BMAT, will I have a chance at Leeds?

For work experience I have done 4 weeks at two general dental practices, 1 week at maxillofacial clinic at my local hospital and a day at a dental denture laboratory. Also I have done 3 months of charity work for the teenage cancer trust.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Quick Reply

Latest