The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Is the UKCAT important for Manchester guys?!
Reply 381
Hello everyone, I need some help deciding between Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle.
I have 10 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, AAA at Alevel and a 727.5 UKCAT. Can someone please guide me? Really struggling right now.
Reply 382
Hey guys, these are my results
Gcse: 10A*s
AS: AAAB (B in chemistry)
A2 predicted AAA
Ukcat: avg 635 band 3

I'm applying to Birmingham and bristol, what other ukcat unis would I have a realistic chance of an interview at? Do I apply to Liverpool or is three non ukcat unis too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rudegyal
Is the UKCAT important for Manchester guys?!

No, they only use it as a pretty minor feature in the application after reading personal statements, predicted grades etc. to distinguish between who to give an interview to.
Original post by SKM123
Hello everyone, I need some help deciding between Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Plymouth, Sheffield and Newcastle.
I have 10 A's and 2 B's at GCSE, AAA at Alevel and a 727.5 UKCAT. Can someone please guide me? Really struggling right now.

Newcastle LOVE high UKCAT so definitely apply there! You'll have a pretty good chance everywhere else so it's up to you really! For example if you don't like Problem Based Learning then I wouldn't apply to Plymouth or Liverpool!

Hope this helps!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gonnagetthruthis
Does anyone know which universities may look at your GCSEs over your UKCAT score? Does KCL? I got a below average UKCAT and now I'm worried nowhere will want me :frown:

Thank you xx

Sheffield, Manchester, Plymouth, bristol, Birmingham. All schools don't care much, if at all, about UKCAT scores.
Reply 386
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Sheffield, Manchester, Plymouth, bristol, Birmingham. All schools don't care much, if at all, about UKCAT scores.

Sheffield actually value the UKCAT quite highly, arguably only Glasgow, Newcastle and KCL use it more than Sheffield when deciding who to interview as far as I'm aware
Reply 387
Original post by ToolsOfTheTrade
Newcastle LOVE high UKCAT so definitely apply there! You'll have a pretty good chance everywhere else so it's up to you really! For example if you don't like Problem Based Learning then I wouldn't apply to Plymouth or Liverpool!

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Thanks for the help! Think I'll definitely be applying to newcastle. :smile:
Hi, I am getting very confused about where to apply as a graduate!

So far:
GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
AS level:4As
A2 level: 3As and 1B ( In chemistry)
Degree: Predicted a 1st in Biomed
UKCAT: 660
I have plenty of voluntary experience and shadowing dentists in different practices, but I havent really managed to get any hospital work experience
I am not sure if this is good enough for 4 year programmes at Liverpool and UCLAN which only have about 15-20 places for graduates and most graduates get a lot of work exp. I know my UKCAT isnt high enough for kings or aberdeen.

I am also thinking of applying to 2 5year courses, but not sure where!
Does anyone know what the cut off for Newcastle is for UKCAT scores? I got 625 average band 1 and feel this might be too low :/
Original post by Rosie2015
Does anyone know what the cut off for Newcastle is for UKCAT scores? I got 625 average band 1 and feel this might be too low :/

The average score this year for the UKCAT is 634. You are not far from this. Also, as far as im aware NC don't have a cut off, unless things have changed.
Hi guys. I REALLY want to go Kings, but my UKCAT score is quite low. Do you think I have chance of getting an interview?
GCSE: 8A* 2A 2B
AS: AAAB
A2: A*
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 653 and Band 1 situational judgement
Hi everyone, I'm slightly stressed out because everyone seems to have such good academic profiles! I have wanted to dentistry for a very long time! I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol and Dundee and was wondering if I have much of a chance? I'm not applying to Kings or Queens because my UKCAT isn't strong enough...
GCSE: 7A*S 6As and distinction in ICT
AS level: AAAAB (Bio,chem,psychology,english,music)
A2 predictions: A*A*AA
Work experience: 3 months in an NHS practice (twice a week), 2 weeks in private practice and 25 hours shadowing at a dental practice in Africa, 25 hours shadowing in paediatrics ward
UKCAT:632.5 Band 1
(edited 9 years ago)
Which would be a wiser choice Manchester/Plymouth/Sheffield if I have a 630 ukcat, high predicted grades and an EPQ?
Didn't realise this thread existed... I'm applying to Dundee, Leeds, Sheffield and Glasgow :smile:
Original post by melodiiee
Hi guys. I REALLY want to go Kings, but my UKCAT score is quite low. Do you think I have chance of getting an interview?
GCSE: 8A* 2A 2B
AS: AAAB
A2: A*
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 653 and Band 1 situational judgement

If you are really really keen on Kings then I feel it is worth the risk given that your score is a tad over the average and your GCSE grades are strong. Your academic profile is good and IF your personal statement is sound then you should get an interview elsewhere, if you don't get an interview at Kings.
Original post by jenjen0799
Hi everyone, I'm slightly stressed out because everyone seems to have such good academic profiles! I have wanted to dentistry for a very long time! I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol and Dundee and was wondering if I have much of a chance? I'm not applying to Kings or Queens because my UKCAT isn't strong enough...
GCSE: 7A*S 6As and distinction in ICT
AS level: AAAAB (Bio,chem,psychology,english,music)
A2 predictions: A*A*A
Work experience: 3 months in an NHS practice (twice a week), 2 weeks in private practice and 25 hours shadowing at a dental practice in Africa, 25 hours shadowing in paediatrics ward
UKCAT:632.5 Band 1

If you have been following dentistry threads then you will know that your profile is good and there is no need to stress. Assuming your personal statement is well written (reflecting personal qualities as well as work exp) then you should be affirmed.
Original post by prabhleenghai
Hi, I am getting very confused about where to apply as a graduate!

So far:
GCSEs: 8A*s 2As
AS level:4As
A2 level: 3As and 1B ( In chemistry)
Degree: Predicted a 1st in Biomed
UKCAT: 660
I have plenty of voluntary experience and shadowing dentists in different practices, but I havent really managed to get any hospital work experience
I am not sure if this is good enough for 4 year programmes at Liverpool and UCLAN which only have about 15-20 places for graduates and most graduates get a lot of work exp. I know my UKCAT isnt high enough for kings or aberdeen.

I am also thinking of applying to 2 5year courses, but not sure where!

I don't think your lack of hospital work experience will prejudice your application and I think you stand a good shot at the 4 year program if your personal statement is well written.
Original post by lois griffin
I don't think your lack of hospital work experience will prejudice your application and I think you stand a good shot at the 4 year program if your personal statement is well written.

Thanks! Someone told me that if I apply to Liverpool for both 4yr and yr that might be a disadvantage. Also, for 5 year schemes, they do not favour postgrads so i'm not sure about that.

My personal statement seems to be okay, but I am worried about the interview stages at UCLan especially, as they make you do an entrance exam based on your Biomedical Science knowledge and if you pass that, the interview is MMI with a 2 manual dexterity exercises, one with some type of wire or string, which im worried i'll panic and start shaking and fail.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me which out of the following don't look at ukcat much/aren't too demanding of a high score (I got 567.5) AND would be okay with B in gcse eng lang, and 2Bs in gcse physics and Biology (I got an A in gcse chem) - Dundee, Cardiff, Newcastle, Glasgow. I told my teachers I'm taking a gap year as there's almost a 100% chance I won't get into dent this year, but they said apply anyway hahaha. So I'm just trying to find the ones which have the lowest ukcat and gcse reqs. I've already put down Plymouth, and was wondering what others I should put down. I've got kings for biomed, so have 3 options left.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest