The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey guys hope your AS revision is going well. Btw when are you all doing your UKCAT?
Considered applying and read how much work experience people think you need and have now changed my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Considered applying and read how much work experience people think you need and have now changed my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weren't you on another thread saying you dont like dentists? Saying they only did it for the money?
Original post by teen1234
Weren't you on another thread saying you dont like dentists? Saying they only did it for the money?

Yeah, I thought maybe it could actually be interesting but after looking into I've came to the same conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Yeah, I thought maybe it could actually be interesting but after looking into I've came to the same conclusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said you decided not to do it after the amount of work experience we have to do - or were you just being 'polite'? What did you find after looking into it that made you come to that conclusion? j/w btw
You said you decided not to do it after the amount of work experience we have to do - or were you just being 'polite'? What did you find after looking into it that made you come to that conclusion? j/w btw

No I was being serious I thought maybe I wouldn't mind being a dentist if I was paid well, then I read the thread about the reality of being a dentist and then I was put off, then I saw how much work experience they wanted and that was the final nail in the coffin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
No I was being serious I thought maybe I wouldn't mind being a dentist if I was paid well, then I read the thread about the reality of being a dentist and then I was put off, then I saw how much work experience they wanted and that was the final nail in the coffin

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet you still have the same opinion of dental students and dentists?
And yet you still have the same opinion of dental students and dentists?

Yep pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Yep pretty much

Posted from TSR Mobile

You think dentists are only in it for the money and dont actually want to be dentists. Then you think about being a dentist for the money - when you research it like all other dental students/dentists have you decide against it but you still think they're in it for the money? Its kind of illogical.
If a dental student only cared about money, surely they would take their academic ability elsewhere e.g finance.
You think dental students are only in it for the money/status, do you really think there are not medical students with this exact attitude?
How did people find their AS exams???

I'm starting to panic now as I have no volunteering as if yet. Tried to get some at a care home but they palmed me off with some bs excuse. Would working at a charity shop and some at a school be good on top of 2 weeks work.experience and a day at a lab where they make moulds etc???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Stay positive, exams are almost over! :biggrin: Where is everyone planning on applying? I want to apply outside of London, so I'll be attending the Glasgow, Leeds and Liverpool open days :smile:
Original post by sarahjoy
Stay positive, exams are almost over! :biggrin: Where is everyone planning on applying? I want to apply outside of London, so I'll be attending the Glasgow, Leeds and Liverpool open days :smile:

Going kings on Saturday with other ones at Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Cardiff, barts and queen Mary's lined up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where is everyone applying and why? I'm really keen on Bristol but for my other applications I'm just not sure! I'm not so sure about being a student in London so I've been looking elsewhere- Cardiff/Birmingham ect

I got 8A*s and 2As in my GCSE's and I'm taking Biology Maths Chemistry Geography for AS and I'm planning on dropping Maths for A2- will this be okay? I reckon that I am going to get either AAAB or AABB or on a really good day AAAA- will I be able to get an offer if I do only get AABB?

I've done four days work experience at a oral surgery in a hospital so far and I've got a day at three different practices in the summer lined up- I've heard its pointless going for more than a day or two to a general practice!

Lastly how is personal statement writing going for everyone- I'm finding it so difficult to fit all the stuff I want to include into 4000 characters!
Reply 73
Original post by EmBlacck
Where is everyone applying and why? I'm really keen on Bristol but for my other applications I'm just not sure! I'm not so sure about being a student in London so I've been looking elsewhere- Cardiff/Birmingham ect

I got 8A*s and 2As in my GCSE's and I'm taking Biology Maths Chemistry Geography for AS and I'm planning on dropping Maths for A2- will this be okay? I reckon that I am going to get either AAAB or AABB or on a really good day AAAA- will I be able to get an offer if I do only get AABB?

I've done four days work experience at a oral surgery in a hospital so far and I've got a day at three different practices in the summer lined up- I've heard its pointless going for more than a day or two to a general practice!

Lastly how is personal statement writing going for everyone- I'm finding it so difficult to fit all the stuff I want to include into 4000 characters!

As im sure you're aware of the level of competition, I'd advise applying to where you feel you'll have the best chance of getting an interview. Your UKCAT score will also be important in deciding where to apply.
You should definitely go for more than a day or two in a general practice - its a requirement for a number of universities to do at least 2 weeks since general practice is where the majority of dentists work for their entire lives and you have to show commitment and a good understanding of what it entails.
Dropping maths wouldn't affect your application also as long as you get AAA predictions AABB is fine - your ukcat,ps etc are more important.
Your GCSEs are good, similar to mine, and so you're fine on that front.
Reply 74
I am actually stressing myself a lot and its beginning to be unhealthy stress. Guys I'm panicking- my GCSEs are atrocious (2A*,5As,3Bs).

I am going to complete the 2 weeks of work experience in several GDPs by doing work experience 1-2 days [I'll still continue during A2].

My AS (Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Psychology)- I hope I get As/ Bs - I could've focused more as I thought I would be studying uni next year in Africa but another thread opened my eyes to study here.

I've got no skills- I used to play violin, and I'll try find a teacher during the summer to do a grade (maybe 4). I'll also do embroidery and build up on issues and general dentistry knowledge.

I know I can get the As next year if I put my mind to it as I now know what is right as I have made mistakes this year that I'll rectify by focusing more next year.

My main worry is UKCAT. This summer I'll revise A LOT and just hope for the best.

If I don't get accepted by a uni for dentistry then should I take a gap year which will be full of knowledge and work experience.

What do you guys think? :/ I'm actually going to go through a major melt down soon, but I won't give up! I want to be a dentist and with my motivation I hope I can.
(edited 9 years ago)
Helloo theree 2015 applicants :smile: I was just emailing Leeds and I just found out that BMAT will be required for application to Leeds for dentistry next year.
Found this on their website :smile:
"How we will use BMAT?
In the first instance UCAS forms will be assessed according to normal protocol. BMAT scores will then be examined to see whether there is agreement between UCAS assessment and BMAT score. In cases where the BMAT score suggests excellent potential but an interview place was not already awarded, the UCAS form of the candidate would be reassessed with a view to awarding an interview on the basis of the BMAT score. No candidate will be disadvantaged by the BMAT score in this trial period."

All the best to your applications :3
Reply 76
Original post by Jatz07
BMAT for Dentistry?!?!?!

This is very depressing..

Sorry but this is hilarious
First they take away Jan exams, then they reduce dentistry places by 10% and now they're introducing the BMAT.
Has anyone managed to get hold of any successful leeds personal statements? I've looked at all the ones on here and they were rejected from Leeds :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carrellii
Has anyone managed to get hold of any successful leeds personal statements? I've looked at all the ones on here and they were rejected from Leeds :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont apply to leeds unless you have a LOAD of work exp/volunteering.
They don't care really about your academics as long as you meet the minimum.
Original post by _DMNT
I am actually stressing myself a lot and its beginning to be unhealthy stress. Guys I'm panicking- my GCSEs are atrocious (2A*,5As,3Bs).

I am going to complete the 2 weeks of work experience in several GDPs by doing work experience 1-2 days [I'll still continue during A2].

My AS (Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Psychology)- I hope I get As/ Bs - I could've focused more as I thought I would be studying uni next year in Africa but another thread opened my eyes to study here.

I've got no skills- I used to play violin, and I'll try find a teacher during the summer to do a grade (maybe 4). I'll also do embroidery and build up on issues and general dentistry knowledge.

I know I can get the As next year if I put my mind to it as I now know what is right as I have made mistakes this year that I'll rectify by focusing more next year.

My main worry is UKCAT. This summer I'll revise A LOT and just hope for the best.

If I don't get accepted by a uni for dentistry then should I take a gap year which will be full of knowledge and work experience.

What do you guys think? :/ I'm actually going to go through a major melt down soon, but I won't give up! I want to be a dentist and with my motivation I hope I can.

your application sounds very similar to mine last year. Now here I am, year 2 dental student. Heard from KCL QMUL and Plymouth as a first time applicant. Don't lose hope.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest