The Student Room Group

IB students in London(or anywhere else in the UK) or those who want to study in the U

IB isn't very common where I live, most people believe those who take it in the UK probably go to private school(I don't go to private school by the way)
I want to know what IB subjects you take and how you are coping with it(both first years and second years)
Also, how does your sixth form/college/school handle CAS?

PLUS For those who are planning to come to the UK for university, study hard! IB students are more than capable to get into Oxbridge and RG universities. (Just get 36+)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I am taking Bio Chem and English Lit HL, French B, Maths and History SL.
I'm in my first year.
So far there's quite a bit of work but it's not overwhelming (yet). You are expected to do quite a bit of work independently.
The CAS coordinator at my school nags us about keeping up with CAS activities but we're expected to find and arrange activities ourselves.
Original post by Neverme
I am taking Bio Chem and English Lit HL, French B, Maths and History SL.
I'm in my first year.
So far there's quite a bit of work but it's not overwhelming (yet). You are expected to do quite a bit of work independently.
The CAS coordinator at my school nags us about keeping up with CAS activities but we're expected to find and arrange activities ourselves.

I'm also first year and Oh, nice subjects. I also do French B. One of the hardest subjects I'm doing atm. What are you planning to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AcuraIntergurl
I'm also first year and Oh, nice subjects. I also do French B. One of the hardest subjects I'm doing atm. What are you planning to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I'm thinking about psychology :smile: How about you?
Original post by Neverme
At the moment I'm thinking about psychology :smile: How about you?

Law or maybe History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I take Biology, Chemistry and English Lit HL, Spanish and Geography SL and Maths Studies. It's really good but I think that I will regret taking Chem higher!
Original post by AcuraIntergurl
IB isn't very common where I live, most people believe those who take it in the UK probably go to private school(I don't go to private school by the way)
I want to know what IB subjects you take and how you are coping with it(both first years and second years)
Also, how does your sixth form/college/school handle CAS?

PLUS For those who are planning to come to the UK for university, study hard! IB students are more than capable to get into Oxbridge and RG universities. (Just get 36+)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take Biology, English and Psychology at HL. Maths studies, Physics and Italian at SL. For the first year I found that it was much easier than expected, we were told all these horror stories about not having time to do anything but work, but that was absolutely not true. The last month or so has been quite stressful as we have had UCAS, EE, TOK and coursework deadlines but it never became unmanageable. I have found that as long as I keep on top of my work I can cope absolutely fine. As far as CAS goes we have essentially been left to our own devices. I have had one meeting where they checked up on my progress but apart from that I have had to deal with it myself but I hasn't been difficult. Hope this helps :smile:
I'm doing my second year of IB, senior yay, and my HLs are: Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and English B (yes I have 4 hls...) and my SLs are: Swedish A literature and Economics. So far it's been hard, tough, horrible, challenging, but SO rewarding and SO MUCH FUN, I've got such good friends in school and it helps 'cause we are all going through the same ****, haha, we pull each other through, so I would definitely recommend it, the IB teaches you to think differently and learn in a completely different way, plus I believe that it will prepare me really well to further studies at Uni and so forth, a lot better than any other system. CAS has been something we in my school have to deal with on our own. It's been weird and painful at times, but I think CAS can be great if you make it great. I ran a full marathon (42km) and I've worked with Unicef, taken a lot of photos videos, singing in choir all kinds of stuff. The IB will teach you a lot, and you will get to know yourself better I believe, with like limits and stuff.
It's a challenge. Reach out and grab it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending