The Student Room Group

Medical Sciences Exeter University 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by spangie
Woo! Leicester, Hull York, Nottingham and Durham! What about you?

I haven't booked the day, mostly because I've already seen the uni and I like the course so I don't think going to the open day will make much difference for me. :smile:

leeds, UEA, nottingham and southampton.. :smile:
Reply 41
Hi, I applied for medicine this year too, I just received my third rejection for medicine but I have an offer from Exeter for Medical Sciences. I am really unsure as to whether I should take a gap year and reapply or take the medical sciences---it looks like a really great course and I'm sure I'd love it, does anyone know what the career opportunities are after a medsci degree?
Reply 42
Original post by Alice1810
Hi, I applied for medicine this year too, I just received my third rejection for medicine but I have an offer from Exeter for Medical Sciences. I am really unsure as to whether I should take a gap year and reapply or take the medical sciences---it looks like a really great course and I'm sure I'd love it, does anyone know what the career opportunities are after a medsci degree?

Most go on to do the STP (Scientist Training Programme via nhs) or private research companies, possibly liaison between medical pharma companies and the boards at NHS amongst others. Or after finishing the degree go on to do the BMBS.

Anyone else know welcome to comment?

I hope this helps a little
Reply 43
Original post by AdeWillK
Most go on to do the STP (Scientist Training Programme via nhs) or private research companies, possibly liaison between medical pharma companies and the boards at NHS amongst others. Or after finishing the degree go on to do the BMBS.

Anyone else know welcome to comment?

I hope this helps a little

Thank you that has really helped! Have you got an offer, if you don't mind me asking! :smile: I'm hoping to do the professional training year as well, which looks really great!
Reply 44

I'm a current student in my first year and the aspects are really good! I know people doing the PTY (professional training year) at Harvard, Imperial, Cambridge, Sydney, Malaysia. Some doing Neuroscience, cardiovascular, Cystic fibrosis and autism studies.
Reply 45
Original post by MrMeep2580
I'm a current student in my first year and the aspects are really good! I know people doing the PTY (professional training year) at Harvard, Imperial, Cambridge, Sydney, Malaysia. Some doing Neuroscience, cardiovascular, Cystic fibrosis and autism studies.

Harvard? Wow! I also heard something about some people being able to switch to medicine after first year on this course, do you know anything more about that? I've decided to definitely take the course now, so I'm really excited, it looks so interesting!! :smile:
Reply 46
Got an offer the other day, really happy with it!

My ambitions are to pursue a medicine degree in the long run
Reply 47
Harvard? Wow! I also heard something about some people being able to switch to medicine after first year on this course, do you know anything more about that? I've decided to definitely take the course now, so I'm really excited, it looks so interesting!! :smile:

10% of students have opportunity but you need to meet certain criteria
Reply 48
Is it a large group? I hear there are only 30 students this year? Wondering how tough it would be to be in the top 10% !
Reply 49
Original post by xoxoRosie
Is it a large group? I hear there are only 30 students this year? Wondering how tough it would be to be in the top 10% !

I think it's not the top 10% but essentially 10% that are allowed to transfer if they want to change, making it the reality of only 3-4 people actually being allowed to transfer. So I wouldn't count too much on the BMBS transfer or thinking that by accepting the offer that it's a guarantee in the 1st year.
Reply 50

Yeah the top 10% of students who do well in their ASK3+ (applied scientific knowledge 3) will go to interview and then from that hopefully they get accepted. I'm warning you now that a lot of people in the course want to do it. I only like 7 out of 67 people who didn't apply to originally do medicine. It is really interesting! Just make sure you work hard but you actually enjoy the course. oh and at the end of the course if you're getting a 2:1 or a 1st you get an interview for medicine at exeter!
Reply 51
Original post by xoxoRosie

My year is 67 people and I've been told by the year 1 coordinators that your year will be even larger breaching at like 80-100
Reply 52
i attended the offer holders day and i am reassured that the course is for me........All that is left now is just to get the Grades!!
@mrmeep2580 thanks for the tip on accommodation

has anyone looked into accommodation outside of the university arrangement???

@elephant7 you are lucky you live near the uni so you dont have to worry about accommodation lol :smile:
i am a three hours drive away :s ...not a huge problem though hehehe xx

i am looking forward to September! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 53
I'm really excited!! I'm definitely choosing this course as my top choice rather than bristol. Btw I live in singapore (british international school) so I have absolutely no idea what it's like in exeter, but judging on what you guys have been saying it seems really fun.

I understand accommodation on the main campus is better.. i've looked at a few on the website and these are the ones I thought seemed quite nice: dunyard, james owen court, lafrowda, mansion 1, the printworks, rowe house, rowancroft.

If any of you have some opinions on the ones i've listed i'd really appreciate the feedback!! So excited :smile:))
Hi guys, great to hear some of you are getting some offers.

I'm a first year student on the Medical science degree, and I've been meaning to do this for a while, but if any of you have and questions, please message me privately or quote this message (its easier for me to find). I'd be happy to answer pretty much anything...modules, what the step up to degree level is like, what the campuses are like, accommodation, costs of living etc.

I would do a whole summary, but i know I'd miss out stuff.

Oh, and if any of you are thinking of transferring to medicine after year 1, i've got some information about that...they just introduced it for our year. SO I'd be happy to answer any questions. I will probably get back early (only got an exam this week pretty much...).

As many of you are probably doing A-levels, best of luck with your studies and good luck in your exams!
Reply 55
Original post by QuentinM
Hi guys, great to hear some of you are getting some offers.

I'm a first year student on the Medical science degree, and I've been meaning to do this for a while, but if any of you have and questions, please message me privately or quote this message (its easier for me to find). I'd be happy to answer pretty much anything...modules, what the step up to degree level is like, what the campuses are like, accommodation, costs of living etc.

I would do a whole summary, but i know I'd miss out stuff.

Oh, and if any of you are thinking of transferring to medicine after year 1, i've got some information about that...they just introduced it for our year. SO I'd be happy to answer any questions. I will probably get back early (only got an exam this week pretty much...).

As many of you are probably doing A-levels, best of luck with your studies and good luck in your exams!

I was wondering what you would recommend in terms of accommodation? Is it better to go for main campus or St Lukes?

Thanks!! :smile:
I was wondering what you would recommend in terms of accommodation? Is it better to go for main campus or St Lukes?

Thanks!! :smile:

You have 3 main options if you're planning to go for accommodation run by the University:

*Rowancroft, which is a few minutes from St luke's, and used mainly by medical students
*St James', which is in-between both campuses
*Streatham, which is the main campus

You have more modules at the main campus for your first year, so its probably best to go for St James' or Streatham. If you are going for streatham, i'd suggest somewhere on the south east of the campus, like Lafrowda, not somewhere in the North West, like Birks Grange. If you look on the maps you should be able to access on the University page, you should see what I mean.

Hope this helps
Hi just wondering how much time is spent in labs and how is the social side of life there?
Original post by emmaschrodie
Hi just wondering how much time is spent in labs and how is the social side of life there?

Lab wise, you get 4x3hr sessions for Genetics, Biochemistry (both term 1), Cells and Microbiology (term 2). They spread them out over the term. You also have something like 3 sessions in the first term which introduce you to lab techniques etc. In term 2, you also get options to visit labs and get guided through medical related research.
Reply 59
Original post by QuentinM
You have 3 main options if you're planning to go for accommodation run by the University:

*Rowancroft, which is a few minutes from St luke's, and used mainly by medical students
*St James', which is in-between both campuses
*Streatham, which is the main campus

You have more modules at the main campus for your first year, so its probably best to go for St James' or Streatham. If you are going for streatham, i'd suggest somewhere on the south east of the campus, like Lafrowda, not somewhere in the North West, like Birks Grange. If you look on the maps you should be able to access on the University page, you should see what I mean.

Hope this helps

Thank you! That helps a lot---at the open day I got the impression we would be mainly on the St Luke's campus so ended up only really looking around Rowancroft! Which halls are you in? Are there any to steer clear of? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending