The Student Room Group

Coming home to UK with American AP classes

Hi all,

I am in a conundrum and need some friendly advice. Many will not understand this unless you have a knowledge of the UK and US systems.

I am currently in my Junior year at High school in Texas (Penultimate High School year) and will be coming home to the UK for University next year. My brother did medicine at Exeter and is starting his F1 year in Torbay and I would like to be close to him so I was thinking about Exeter too.

I wanted to do Computer Engineering or Computer Science but I will not have an AP in Maths. I have 5's (Highest grades) in 3 other subjects. They will be English, US History and European History.
Next year, my final year, I could take AP Economics or AP Psychology, right now I am signed up for AP European History.

I am currently finishing Physics STEM which is a College level Physics course but I am struggling a bit.

This year, I finished Algebra2 adv. I will probably take Pre-Cal BC in my senior year which is going to suck. I still won't have the full AP Calculus BC and it will be very hard. I'm not sure if I should do that or take a different Maths class like OnRamps Algebra.

I can't decide whether to apply for a degree that doesn't specifically require Math A-level like Political Science or Business Management or spend more time here and finish that one Math course (Calculus BC) which I am not guaranteed to score well on. I have Aspergers and find it really hard to learn certain things. Some things come easily.

Or, head back to the UK and go to a sixth form College or something like that to get the Maths.

I don't yet a great leaning towards any particular degree

Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!
Reply 1
Original post by DariusR

I wanted to do Computer Engineering or Computer Science but I will not have an AP in Maths.

You need to check with Exeter, and any other Unis you are applying to, to find out exactly which APs etc they each want for each degree subject.

As examples, for Computer Science, University of Bath requires 5, 5, 5 in three Advanced Placement Tests including Calculus BC - but excluding Calculus AB as one of these three subjects, and for Computer Systems Engineering, they require 5, 5, 5 in three Advanced Placement Tests including Calculus BC and at least one Physics AP, and again excluding Calculus BC.

Management often also requires a Calculus AP or Maths SAT, but some Unis will be okay with Pre-Calculus or Algebra. Social Science subjects like Law, Politics or International Relations will not have a Maths requirement. Always email each Uni to check their exact requirements for each specific degree subject before you apply.
Reply 2
Just wanted to check - are you entitled to U.K. funding/fees and is this an issue?
Reply 3
Based on the 3 year residency, no, but my Dad has stayed in tbe UK with my brother. I had to move to States for medical treatment and got stuck here due to Covid. They have given me a provisional OK.
If I was you I’d look at courses with a foundation year it will teach you everything you need for the 3 year degree the credits don’t count towards the degree and as long as you pass 40% + it’s all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending