The Student Room Group

Is going to university selfish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StarkRob
most if not all graduate schemes require no specific degree. Only a 2.1.

Can you elaborate? I'm a bit of a uni noob
Original post by Qymberley
Very true about imposing authority, but he argues it more on the lines of: hey, get stuck in your studies and have no life experience kind of thing, don't come crying when you don't know how to function in life, which is super annoying and distasteful

Your brother has no clue what he's talking about. Frankly I think university is a better preparation for life than starting work straightaway but anyone who is at university will know it's untrue either way. Students know perfectly well how to function in life and have plenty of life experience.
It's not really about approval or family welfare I'm instigating here, it's more about facing the real world, sure uni is filled with experiences, but he thinks it's not the kind of experience you should get, that you should work your way in life, not have it handed to you etc. I don't agree with it, I still stand firmly for getting an academic education

:rofl:

Oh man, if he wants, he can do my work for me. I had two exams today, I have another on Friday, and I have 3 pieces of work to be handed in next Friday. Tell me again, where is the part where a degree is "handed" to you? Degrees are a lot of work. First year isn't so hard, but second year and above is a whole other story.

If he hasn't gone to uni himself he has no right to judge how hard uni is, nor should his definition of "work" be considered universally applicable and the standard which we should all follow. His own personal opinions on uni are his, and definitely aren't facts or good reasons not for you to go. If he doesn't think uni is worth his time, then fine, but most people clearly disagree with him.

And on the topic of life experience, university is the perfect step between living at home and going into work. You have to support yourself, look after your own finances, buy and make your own food (if you're not catered), manage your own time, pay your own bills, etc. At uni you learn a lot about being independent and about how to live on your own/outside your family home.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going to university, never questioned that. I'm questioning more on the morality of it all really, because he does have a point considering the degree I'm taking

Well ultimately almost all decisions in life are selfish

Even if you do something charitable - most of time you do receive personal satisfaction from the action - so it is still selfish on some level!
Reply 24

Sure. Talking specifically about the graduate jobs that I know off in the legal, banking, management, accounting, advisor, consultant etc sectors most will have a requirement that you must have at least a 2.1 in any degree. Even the legal sector does not require a law degree. You can become a lawyer or banker or consultant or accountant or take up most roles with a classics degree. Its another matter altogether if employers would in their own mind place a law degree or economics degree above a classics degree but for the most part you should be fine.

Basically, your degree isn't "useless". Graduate schemes, that you can apply to in your third year or once you've graduated, to work in various positions in different companies often require a 2:1 classification without it being in any specific subject. Meaning you can get a decent graduate job no matter your degree, though it may not be relevant to your work.

I thought maybe you had problems in your family with your brother saying that to you, like they have issues and would like you to be there for emotional or financial help. From what you said about your mum being really supportive, I can't imagine that's the case anymore. She probably will be a bit miserable without you there, by the way, but she'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's hardly going to wreck the family. Maybe your brother is jealous or will miss you and could only think of the word "selfish" to use in complaining about you leaving. He doesn't really make much sense otherwise.
I know you said that you see where he's coming from considering how you're studying Classics, a degree that you typically can't 'utilise' like a degree in engineering or maths, for example, but it's your interest and your choice. Selfish or not, brother or not, I don't really think it's any of his business. You are being selfish in that you're doing this for you, but I don't really see why that's a problem. :dontknow:
I'm doing History of Art and I've gotten this sort of reaction before. I usually remind them that I don't recall asking for their opinion. 't'is usually the end of the conversation.
This is why I asked this question

Seriously where is a degree in classics going to get you in life?

maybe if you studied something abit more beneficial you're bro wouldn't be so opposed to you going uni
Reply 27
Original post by sliceofcake
Basically, your degree isn't "useless". Graduate schemes, that you can apply to in your third year or once you've graduated, to work in various positions in different companies often require a 2:1 classification without it being in any specific subject. Meaning you can get a decent graduate job no matter your degree, though it may not be relevant to your work.

I thought maybe you had problems in your family with your brother saying that to you, like they have issues and would like you to be there for emotional or financial help. From what you said about your mum being really supportive, I can't imagine that's the case anymore. She probably will be a bit miserable without you there, by the way, but she'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's hardly going to wreck the family. Maybe your brother is jealous or will miss you and could only think of the word "selfish" to use in complaining about you leaving. He doesn't really make much sense otherwise.
I know you said that you see where he's coming from considering how you're studying Classics, a degree that you typically can't 'utilise' like a degree in engineering or maths, for example, but it's your interest and your choice. Selfish or not, brother or not, I don't really think it's any of his business. You are being selfish in that you're doing this for you, but I don't really see why that's a problem. :dontknow:
I'm doing History of Art and I've gotten this sort of reaction before. I usually remind them that I don't recall asking for their opinion. 't'is usually the end of the conversation.

Oh I see, that's good to hear I was thinking of trying to utilise the degree in some weird way initially anyway. Thanks! Yeah, I realised I may have been too vague and so quite a few people interpreted it in the same way you did. I do get little moments like "I should try to contribute to society some how" but I'm sure I'll at least try to input my fair share some day. Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Secretnerd123
Seriously where is a degree in classics going to get you in life?

maybe if you studied something abit more beneficial you're bro wouldn't be so opposed to you going uni

I was thinking of photography, English lit, politics or history, and classics is honestly the degree i feel most passionate about. so I thought if i don't feel passionate about the degree I'm doing, I won't use it well.
My thoughts were probably going into research at games companies (I may have played too much assassins creed), travelling whilst doing some photography work, museum curator or some variation (you can probably tell i haven't done research into this area) etc. I have a lot of interests that I also do on the side so it's the best option really.
I was thinking of photography, English lit, politics or history, and classics is honestly the degree i feel most passionate about. so I thought if i don't feel passionate about the degree I'm doing, I won't use it well.
My thoughts were probably going into research at games companies (I may have played too much assassins creed), travelling whilst doing some photography work, museum curator or some variation (you can probably tell i haven't done research into this area) etc. I have a lot of interests that I also do on the side so it's the best option really.

If its what you love, then by all means go for it!!

But what careers can classics lead to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Secretnerd123
If its what you love, then by all means go for it!!

But what careers can classics lead to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've read it's pretty broad, most of the time students go on to do a masters in classics or go into journalism. There are people who spend decades doing research on the roman culture and politics etc, just like how a historian could spend decades researching the Cold War. That's the beauty of it really. It depends really on what you consider is a career as well
Application already sent off! I don't think she'll get depressed haha, she's pretty happy whatever I do, I just never thought about university being a selfish acct until the discussion with my brother.

Sorry if this has already been said, I stopped reading the replies after this point. If your parents have supported you enough to let you send off your application than what your brother says shouldn't bother you. Assuming that you've discussed all your choices with your parents and they've not disagreed with any, you're not being selfish.
Reply 32
For most people, it shouldn't be considered selfish.

I have responsibilities with my family so I'm going to uni nearby, currently living with a family member and helping out. I think I'd feel too lonely going to uni far away anyway.
Reply 33
I had an argument with my brother, he claims me wanting to go university is selfish, that I should stay home find a job and take care of the family ( which, to be honest, wouldn't want me to take care of them) I'm planning on taking on classical studies, which I know isn't the most humanitarian of courses, but honestly is it really that selfish to go university? Thoughts?

It can be selfish because your getting a better education and at the end of it a good degree and then getting paided a good amount to help your family so it isn't
If you're an academic person you should go, otherwise you should not. Simple as that.
Reply 35
Very true about imposing authority, but he argues it more on the lines of: hey, get stuck in your studies and have no life experience kind of thing, don't come crying when you don't know how to function in life, which is super annoying and distasteful

I'm gonna guess your brother is older?
And didn't even go to uni?

I don't see why its "selfish", he's the one being selfish telling you how to live your life.
I would have thought it even less selfish as you going to university will ease the burden on your family. They don't have to feed you, clothe you or pay for books or the cost of renting and other costs. That's part of the reason I'm going to uni away from home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so. It's not really your responsibility to look after your parents financially. It sounds a bit like he couldn't go to uni or just didn't for whatever reason and has an inverted snobbery mind set.
Of course you'll get life experience. Living and studying at uni isn't the same as working and living alone but it can be arguef that you'll get other low experience after uni anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I had an argument with my brother, he claims me wanting to go university is selfish, that I should stay home find a job and take care of the family ( which, to be honest, wouldn't want me to take care of them) I'm planning on taking on classical studies, which I know isn't the most humanitarian of courses, but honestly is it really that selfish to go university? Thoughts?

Going to University means that with a higher qualification you will be able to get a higher paid job so you will have much more money in the long run.

What is the age gap/range between you and your brother? Has he had the same opportunity or was he not eligible?

You should ignore him and go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending