The Student Room Group

Is someone saying “I apologise” a genuine way of apologising

I was explaining to someone how they treated me in my first year of uni that led me into going to depression, and they tried to “explain” their unjustifiable actions by saying they were dumb and selfish but I never received the words “I’m sorry”.

What do you think?
How else would one apologise?
Reply 2
no more or less genuine than “I’m sorry”
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
How else would one apologise?

I just think that saying “I apologise” doesn’t make it as personal and as if he is just saying it to get it out of the way. If I never brought up the topic he never would’ve done it in his own
Original post by Anonymous
I just think that saying “I apologise” doesn’t make it as personal and as if he is just saying it to get it out of the way. If I never brought up the topic he never would’ve done it in his own

IMHO, how the apology is said and delivered accounts for far more than the actual words used.

Remember, you don't have to accept the apology if you don't think it's genuine or if what was done suggests a simple apology on its own isn't really enough or sufficient.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
IMHO, how the apology is said and delivered accounts for far more than the actual words used.

Remember, you don't have to accept the apology if you don't think it's genuine or if what was done suggests a simple apology on its own isn't really enough or sufficient.

Spot on.
if i feel sorry, i would say "I'm sorry" or "I apologise" and be genuine in either phrase :smile: i don't know if this is just me though. people say that i am formal...

i'm not sure if the person you spoke with was genuine

do you feel that their words were sincere?
Reply 7
if i feel sorry, i would say "I'm sorry" or "I apologise" and be genuine in either phrase :smile: i don't know if this is just me though. people say that i am formal...

i'm not sure if the person you spoke with was genuine

do you feel that their words were sincere?

The person was saying that they felt bad and was selfish and dumb but at the same time, he was texting me in a very blunt way rather than a way that was understanding. So really not sure . Looking to take it into my own hands.
The person was saying that they felt bad and was selfish and dumb but at the same time, he was texting me in a very blunt way rather than a way that was understanding. So really not sure . Looking to take it into my own hands.

i understand :frown:...
Reply 9
A qualified apology is seldom convincing, you have to weigh up if they are sincere and accept the apology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending