The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is it harder to achieve a good grade at a top uni than one lower in the ranks?

I can't remember where i read this but i saw that its harder to get say a 2:1 at Oxford than it would be in Leeds. Both unis are great of course but is it true the higher the uni the harder the course? I can see both arguments really. One is that maybe you're left to do your own thing at a higher uni and are expected to do well whereas unis lower down that are not prestigious have more support groups? Then again those higher up may have better quality teaching and facilities whilst accepting academics so maybe their grades would be higher there. Im really worried because a russel group university has offered me a place (nottingham) and I've applied to 2 other russel groups and 2 non russel group ones. I looked at the statistics and although the class sizes are roughly the same, there were 30% first class degree graduates at nottingham on the course and compared to the uni i like thats lower down there were 15%. Im thinking that could be to do with the type of people they let in, the lower ranking one isn't strict with their entry, the ask for 320 UCAS but let it slip to 280. Help please I'm so confused and worried. I don't want to make the wrong decision. Im thinking of picking nottingham over the other uni but i love both and don't want to regret anything. I don't want to feel out of depth,
Reply 1
Original post by 00collins
I can't remember where i read this but i saw that its harder to get say a 2:1 at Oxford than it would be in Leeds. Both unis are great of course but is it true the higher the uni the harder the course? I can see both arguments really. One is that maybe you're left to do your own thing at a higher uni and are expected to do well whereas unis lower down that are not prestigious have more support groups? Then again those higher up may have better quality teaching and facilities whilst accepting academics so maybe their grades would be higher there. Im really worried because a russel group university has offered me a place (nottingham) and I've applied to 2 other russel groups and 2 non russel group ones. I looked at the statistics and although the class sizes are roughly the same, there were 30% first class degree graduates at nottingham on the course and compared to the uni i like thats lower down there were 15%. Im thinking that could be to do with the type of people they let in, the lower ranking one isn't strict with their entry, the ask for 320 UCAS but let it slip to 280. Help please I'm so confused and worried. I don't want to make the wrong decision. Im thinking of picking nottingham over the other uni but i love both and don't want to regret anything. I don't want to feel out of depth,

As much as people would like to play out the differences in degree course difficulty, when you're looking at the top select few institutions, often Oxbridge aside, it's difficult to compare. Students only actually have their own experiences to go off, and although Nottingham has prestige to upkeep, it doesn't make degree courses unnecessarily difficult in the same way that other institutions don't; not least because it would harm the 'graduate prospects' in their subject rankings, but also because things are externally-assessed and moderated, so other university markers would pick up on the difference in grading.

You're going to spend 3+ years studying and living in these places. Choose the universities you think you'll enjoy studying at the most, not on how difficult you think the course will be, as particularly with 'top unis', there different isn't going to be anywhere near as great as is played out. :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending