The Student Room Group

Question about the road tax.

Hi smart guys,

I bought my first car from my local dealer on 1st Dec 2013. And the dealer told me that the car got right MOT and road tax. I didn't think too much and drive the car home.

I go to uni everyday and didn't drive my car.

However, today I checked the documents and found that the car got valid MOT until Sept. 2014, but there is no document about the road tax and there is no road tax disc on the car.

Then I checked DVLA website and found the information like

Date of Liability 13 11 2013
Date of First Registration 30 09 xxxx
Year of Manufacture xxxx
Cylinder Capacity (cc) xxxx
CO₂ Emissions xxxx
Fuel Type HEAVY OIL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed

It seems that the road tax has expired on 13 Nov this year :mad: And the car is now unlicensed. Am I right?

My questions are:

1. I did drive the car home on 1st Dec (when the road tax already expired). Will DLVA or police got the record for this? Like some hidden camera capture me driving?

2. If I want to buy the road tax tomorrow. Should I pay from 1st Dec or 13 Nov? Or should I pay from tomorrow?

3. Because the road tax is expired for a month now. If I am trying to buy the road tax from DLVA, will they give me a fine?

4. Currently, I still haven't got my registration certificate. The dealer told me that I will get it from a post by DLVA. Therefore, I have no 'registration reference number'. Then how can I buy the road tax?

5. Before I really get on the road, is there anything else I need to buy or be sure of? Currently, I have got correct MOT and car insurance (of course my driving licence).

Sorry to ask many stupid questions. I just got my licence and it is my first car. Thanks very much for your help!
Reply 1
You sure that car isn't dodgy............especially since he tricked you about the Tax :/

You should go complain, íf you still got the original advert threaten to go to tradíng standards if the advert states it has tax.

You can go straight to the Post office, but you'll need a few documents before you can buy it.

They'll give you one from the date you buy it.
Original post by Iqbal007
You sure that car isn't dodgy............especially since he tricked you about the Tax :/

I guess come MOT time, the truth (or part of) will come out.
Reply 3
1. Possibly

2. From this month

3. No, they will think it is off the road. It's only if you get caught driving with no tax that you'll be fined

4. When you bought the car you should have filled in a green section on the old V5 which you can take to the post office and use to tax the car

5. If you are licensed, taxed, insured, and have a valid MOT, then you're legal. I'd get someone car-savvy to have a look through the history though. Did you run a HPI check before buying the car? If not, it might be worth doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending