The Student Room Group

Train to run a marathon in a year?

Ok, I'll be honest. At the moment, I don't do much exercise at all. In fact, I can barely run a mile to save my life. The only exercise I get right now is a 15 minute cycle back and forth to uni everyday.

It's always been a dream to run a marathon one day and I would love to be able to run one by the end of next year. I'm aiming to be able to run 5k by March. It took me 3 months to get up to that standard before, so I know I can do it.

How realistic is this aim?
I don't know how realistic it is, but I've got a similar goal, I'm just a few months ahead of you by your plan, I can already do the 5k.
Certainly I think it's possible to be able to do the 5k by March, and you will probably be able to run the marathon in a year, but perhaps not in a great time.
Reply 3
I ran my first London Marathon last year (was 19 at the time) and I trained on my own for 3-4 months beforehand. I wasn't a serious runner prior to training especially with long distance, but you can check out my blog if you fancy, it's a bit out of date now but there are a few tips I put for any runners doing it for their first time. Best of luck, it will be one of the greatest experiences crossing that finishing line, best of luck and my utmost respect for your undertaking. PM me if you want to know more :smile: It is possible if you're commited =)

www.justgiving.com/Petros-Georgiou

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
If you're serious and dedicated about it, and you follow a training routine. It's a very realistic target.

Just make sure you do the right training, people underestimate marathons.

Quick Reply

Latest