The Student Room Group

Cameron Backs 'Life Means Life' Sentences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cue cringe-inducing slightly-more-posh-than-Blair-but-more-ranty-and-less-fluffy-includy soundbite with added right-wing wrist emphasis and concerned, semi-combovered, angled, fleshy camera emoting for the lower middle-class dolts in the Home Counties. **** off and lose the next election already.
Reply 21
Original post by JG1233
Well punishment for a start. If somebody brutally murdered a loved one of years would you like to see them serve a short sentence just because apparently they aren't a threat anymore? Just because they may have been rehabilitated doesn't mean they should not face punishment for what they have already done.

I think that punishment for the sake of punishment is a stupid idea. It is pointless and costs money.

Then there are those that could just trick the system. Pretend they have been rehabilitated just to get out of prison, even if they actually feel no remorse for what they've done and may become a menace again when leaving prison.

Even after they have left prison, they can be recalled at any time the parole officer wants. In a tiny minority of cases, it may be that the person gets let free and does something major before they can be recalled, but the damage done by these cases would easily be outweighed by the money saved in not having them in prison.

Obviously i'm only talking murderers here but then i suppose they are usually only ever the people who get whole life sentences anyway.

OK
Reply 22
Original post by Bill_Gates
For mass murder i.e terrorist attacks - Yes

Normal sentences of 30 years should be more harsh and not a trip to butlins.

Nah, Butlins is way worse than Prison :wink:
Original post by aranexus
Nah, Butlins is way worse than Prison :wink:

true i have heard of the unstable wifi problems. :wink:
Reply 24
100 years is not likely to be a bigger deterrent than 30 years - if you're willing to go to prison for 30 years you've pretty much signed off on ruining your life by that point. It will however cost more and prevent people from working and making tax contributions.

If a prisoner is safe to be released, why keep them in prison except to satisfy the lust to punish? People like Cameron who indulge that lust are cruel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by miser
100 years is not likely to be a bigger deterrent than 30 years - if you're willing to go to prison for 30 years you've pretty much signed off on ruining your life by that point. It will however cost more and prevent people from working and making tax contributions.

If a prisoner is safe to be released, why keep them in prison except to satisfy the lust to punish? People like Cameron who indulge that lust are cruel.

30 years, then out in 15 or less, they could still go on and commit more crimes, probably in a more violent fashion since they've been caged for so long and learned more skills or become even more capable and violent, and now have no reason not to, unless you consider a crappy job reason not to..
A step in the right direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
30 years, then out in 15 or less, they could still go on and commit more crimes, probably in a more violent fashion since they've been caged for so long and learned more skills or become even more capable and violent, and now have no reason not to, unless you consider a crappy job reason not to..

If they're considered likely to go on and commit more crimes they aren't going to be approved for early release. By denying them you're saying to them, "we know you're probably not going to commit and crimes, but we're going to keep you imprisoned anyway, because this is apparently the best way to spend public money."
Reply 28
Original post by miser
If they're considered likely to go on and commit more crimes they aren't going to be approved for early release. By denying them you're saying to them, "we know you're probably not going to commit and crimes, but we're going to keep you imprisoned anyway, because this is apparently the best way to spend public money."

Many crimes committed are almost never one offs and if given the chance they would and do, do it again. The recidivism rate for most crimes is quite high.
Reply 29
Many crimes committed are almost never one offs and if given the chance they would and do, do it again. The recidivism rate for most crimes is quite high.

Yeah, in the UK where we say things like "it's not a trip to Butlins" to justify our cruelty. In Scandinavia where they are treated as human beings and not the scum of society, they have far lower recidivism rates.

Crime is caused when there is incentive to commit crime. We should concentrate on reducing those incentives, not maximising them by eliminating offenders' options.
Original post by miser
Yeah, in the UK where we say things like "it's not a trip to Butlins" to justify our cruelty. In Scandinavia where they are treated as human beings and not the scum of society, they have far lower recidivism rates.

Crime is caused when there is incentive to commit crime. We should concentrate on reducing those incentives, not maximising them by eliminating offenders' options.

There is certainly a lot of incentive to commit crimes in Scandinavia. In fact if i was brought up there rather than in Britain, I think I would of purposely commit crimes so I could go to prison! Far better life than my childhood!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by miser

Perhaps, but not just incentives. Many are committed out of opportunity, as in crimes of opportunity, of course they have the behavior to begin with, but then the opportunity presents itself and its then taken, many are not planned. E.g. a window or door that's ajar, or a weak lock, or against helpless residents/people etc... Increasing the amount of time away from society at the least protects society for longer.
Reply 32
Original post by the mezzil
There is certainly a lot of incentive to commit crimes in Scandinavia. In fact if i was brought up there rather than in Britain, I think I would of purposely commit crimes so I could go to prison! Far better life than my childhood!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who would commit crime if they have a high quality of life regardless? Aside from behavioural disorders and the like, people generally prefer not to be criminals.
Reply 33
Original post by miser
Who would commit crime if they have a high quality of life regardless? Aside from behavioural disorders and the like, people generally prefer not to be criminals.

Bankers and politicians :colone:
Reply 34
the percentage of Americans in the prison system has doubled since 1985.

I don't believe in the 'death penalty' and I do not believe people should be locked away permanently.
However, I do believe you should be forced to do manual labor in prison. BUT I think it should be paid work, this will give people incentives, and the ability to be given something in return, this not only helps the economy, but also prepares prisoners for life after prison.
Reply 35
Bankers and politicians :colone:

These people are influential over the law and generally do not see prison, even when they do misuse their positions.
Reply 36
I want to see what the links between the conservatives and g4s and other security companies are.
Original post by miser

The point is many criminals do not previously have a high quality of life. How many people mugging old grannies are successful buisnessmen or sports stars? If you make prison nice and cushy like you say, people will have an incentive to go there as it is an escape from their **** lives. I certainly would of committed a crime in my younger years if i knew i would get a tv in my room, central heating and 3 meals a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by the mezzil
The point is many criminals do not previously have a high quality of life. How many people mugging old grannies are successful buisnessmen or sports stars? If you make prison nice and cushy like you say, people will have an incentive to go there as it is an escape from their **** lives. I certainly would of committed a crime in my younger years if i knew i would get a tv in my room, central heating and 3 meals a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the solution you propose is to give them an even harder life?
Reply 39
Original post by james22
I think that punishment for the sake of punishment is a stupid idea. It is pointless and costs money.

So basically what you are saying is somebody could go on a killing spree, kill potentially hundreds of people. But then within a week in prison they genuinely reform and are no longer a threat, they should then be released and face absolutely not punishment for what they have done?

If like said it was a loved one of yours who was murdered you wouldn't care if the murderer got almost no punishment at all if he just potentially tricked a panel into believing they were remorseful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending