The Student Room Group

BTEC - Why do we have it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by stardustjunkie
The point I'm making is the lack of evidence for your claims. Unless you can provide evidence that the top universities don't accept BTECs, or very few BTEC students, then your point is invalid. If you can prove it then I'll accept it, but at the end of the day, a BTEC is equivalent to A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And where did I say that they don't accept BTEC's? I wasn't the one who said that, I just said the majority of students took A-levels. If you want proof then go to a top uni and ask around, and I'm sure you'll find that MOST (not all) took A-levels. I don't get how you can say BTEC's are as good as A-levels, especially when someone is carrying on to do something academic, not vocational.

They might be classed as equivalent, it doesn't mean they are. As Mezzil said before:
'A ton of bricks is equal to a ton of gold in weight. But does that mean that they are of the same quality?'
from what I know, teachers say that Btec is for the students who prefer coursework rather than exams. But realistically I have found that the people who study Btec are that of lower abilities, not that it is a bad thing. I have a few friends who do Btec subjects and say that it is really easy. Don't get mis-guided by teachers who say that Btec is equivalent to GCSEs because it is not
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by eddie1221
And where did I say that they don't accept BTEC's? I wasn't the one who said that, I just said the majority of students took A-levels. If you want proof then go to a top uni and ask around, and I'm sure you'll find that MOST (not all) took A-levels. I don't get how you can say BTEC's are as good as A-levels, especially when someone is carrying on to do something academic, not vocational.

They might be classed as equivalent, it doesn't mean they are. As Mezzil said before:
'A ton of bricks is equal to a ton of gold in weight. But does that mean that they are of the same quality?'

What you're naively saying is that to be academic is much better than being vocational.

i hope you don't ever need a plumber (as am example). I can't see a historian being too useful when it comes to your plumbing.
Reply 83
What you're naively saying is that to be academic is much better than being vocational.

i hope you don't ever need a plumber (as am example). I can't see a historian being too useful when it comes to your plumbing.

While I wasn't saying that at all, vocational jobs aren't as 'skilled' as academics usually. As in, basically anybody (even people who aren't very intelligent) could be a plumber with the right training. Not everybody could get a degree in maths, no matter how hard they try. A-levels are worth more than BTEC's in general, whether you want to admit that or not. That is why most intelligent people do A-levels instead of BTEC's, that's why top universities consist of mostly people who did A-levels.
While I wasn't saying that at all, vocational jobs aren't as 'skilled' as academics usually. As in, basically anybody (even people who aren't very intelligent) could be a plumber with the right training. Not everybody could get a degree in maths, no matter how hard they try. A-levels are worth more than BTEC's in general, whether you want to admit that or not. That is why most intelligent people do A-levels instead of BTEC's, that's why top universities consist of mostly people who did A-levels.

Well no, mathematically minded people do maths. Scientifically minded people do science. Artistic people do art. They do what they enjoy but that doesn't limit them. I'm in my last year of a fine art degree and yet I'm actually really clued up on astronomy, I have a highly technical telescope and did incredibly well in physics at school. If college offered astronomy (apart from the evening class I did), I would've taken it alongside my BTEC art. I'm also pretty good at maths and I'm often complimented on my essay writing skills (in other words I'm well spoken when I need to be).

Just because someone does a BTEC in something they enjoy, doesn't mean they are less intelligent. I could've done A levels, I know full well that I could've. I wanted to do art BTEC because that's what I love doing. If that makes me stupid then at least I can say I've enjoyed my years in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Well no, mathematically minded people do maths. Scientifically minded people do science. Artistic people do art. They do what they enjoy but that doesn't limit them. I'm in my last year of a fine art degree and yet I'm actually really clued up on astronomy, I have a highly technical telescope and did incredibly well in physics at school. If college offered astronomy (apart from the evening class I did), I would've taken it alongside my BTEC art. I'm also pretty good at maths and I'm often complimented on my essay writing skills (in other words I'm well spoken when I need to be).

Just because someone does a BTEC in something they enjoy, doesn't mean they are less intelligent. I could've done A levels, I know full well that I could've. I wanted to do art BTEC because that's what I love doing. If that makes me stupid then at least I can say I've enjoyed my years in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again, you seem to have missed out the point where I said 'most' intelligent people do A-levels. Not ALL!
And you're making it sound like A-levels can't be enjoyed, which is a stupid thing to suggest. I think you need to go back and read what I've been saying. I said BTEC's are seemingly for those who aren't as intelligent OR for those who want to do something more vocational. Is it really that difficult to read what I've posted?
Just because a BTEC was better for you, doesn't mean it is worth more in general compared to an A-level. A-levels are mostly worth more and usually more beneficial. I'm not saying BTEC's are pointless, but they are (usually) not as good as A-levels.
The way I see it, BTEC's are generally for those who are either less academic, or for those who want to do more 'hands on'/vocational courses. Sure, they're not as good/useful as A-levels (for the most part, obviously there are exceptions). But that doesn't mean they're pointless, especially for less academic people.

I was going to reply to the OP who seems to be on a trolling mission, however your post caught my eye.

How is a BTEC, "not as good/useful as an A-Level" (taken from your post)?

We have already established that BTECs are recognised by many universities in lieu of A-Levels, so that removes your "not as good/useful" comment. In addition, if you are looking to go directly into skilled employment they are generally more beneficial than A-Levels as you learn practical skills alongside background theory (and yes, most BTECs are at level 3 on the NQF, so academically it's at the same level).

I know that this is a student forum, but it really annoys me that the majority of young people are being fed the 'Do A-Levels, go to Uni, get a great job, earn more' bull**** and swallowing it hook line and sinker...

FYI, I got decent A-Level grades in 3 traditional subjects, didn't fancy uni and went and got an apprenticeship which involved completing a BTEC. I'm now earning well above the national average and earn considerably more than the average graduate for my age, including almost all the people I was in 6th form with.
Reply 87
Original post by unruly1986
I was going to reply to the OP who seems to be on a trolling mission, however your post caught my eye.

How is a BTEC, "not as good/useful as an A-Level" (taken from your post)?

We have already established that BTECs are recognised by many universities in lieu of A-Levels, so that removes your "not as good/useful" comment. In addition, if you are looking to go directly into skilled employment they are generally more beneficial than A-Levels as you learn practical skills alongside background theory (and yes, most BTECs are at level 3 on the NQF, so academically it's at the same level).

I know that this is a student forum, but it really annoys me that the majority of young people are being fed the 'Do A-Levels, go to Uni, get a great job, earn more' bull**** and swallowing it hook line and sinker...

FYI, I got decent A-Level grades in 3 traditional subjects, didn't fancy uni and went and got an apprenticeship which involved completing a BTEC. I'm now earning well above the national average and earn considerably more than the average graduate for my age, including almost all the people I was in 6th form with.

Would you like to quote the very next part aswell? You know, the part where I said 'for the most part, obviously there are exceptions.' Or do you simply feel like ignoring half of the comment? I clearly acknowledged that there are exceptions to this, which is things like when people are planning on going into these specific vocational jobs.
Also, I've said in my other posts that I know universities accept BTEC's. However, they still seemingly favor A-levels. The majority of students at top universities will have taken A-levels. I know that they accept BTEC's aswell, but not as much as A-levels.

So what, you're saying that doing A-levels and going to university is a bad thing that won't give people any benefits? Well done for doing good for yourself, but that doesn't mean that BTEC's are better on average. There will always be exceptions where people do much better with BTEC's or even no qualifications at all, but that doesn't mean that generally they're just as good, or better than, A-levels.
Would you like to quote the very next part aswell? You know, the part where I said 'for the most part, obviously there are exceptions.' Or do you simply feel like ignoring half of the comment? I clearly acknowledged that there are exceptions to this, which is things like when people are planning on going into these specific vocational jobs.
Also, I've said in my other posts that I know universities accept BTEC's. However, they still seemingly favor A-levels. The majority of students at top universities will have taken A-levels. I know that they accept BTEC's aswell, but not as much as A-levels.

So what, you're saying that doing A-levels and going to university is a bad thing that won't give people any benefits? Well done for doing good for yourself, but that doesn't mean that BTEC's are better on average. There will always be exceptions where people do much better with BTEC's or even no qualifications at all, but that doesn't mean that generally they're just as good, or better than, A-levels.

1. I quoted your entire post.

2. As has already been said, the majority of people in post 16 education will do A-Levels, hence the higher proportion of A-Level wielding Uni applicants. This doesn't make them any better/worse than a BTEC. The Uni wants to see a certain level of academic achievement and if you meet/exceed the criteria then you tick the box, it will then go on things such as personal statements/interviews etc.

3. No, what I am saying is that there are a LOT of people going to Uni who shouldn't be. Looking back, I was a top set student in school. Nowadays I occasionally bump into people who were in set 3 for the majority of their subjects, who ended up going to Uni..! They are typically the ones you find working in HMV, Staples, Tesco et al.

Let me get this straight, I have nothing against Uni, I can see that we need to have people going to Higher Education. When it comes to A-Levels/BTECs I think that the BTEC could be seen as a better all rounder (if people took off their blinkers!), but neither is greater than the other in terms of educational achievement.
Reply 89
Original post by unruly1986
1. I quoted your entire post.

2. As has already been said, the majority of people in post 16 education will do A-Levels, hence the higher proportion of A-Level wielding Uni applicants. This doesn't make them any better/worse than a BTEC. The Uni wants to see a certain level of academic achievement and if you meet/exceed the criteria then you tick the box, it will then go on things such as personal statements/interviews etc.

3. No, what I am saying is that there are a LOT of people going to Uni who shouldn't be. Looking back, I was a top set student in school. Nowadays I occasionally bump into people who were in set 3 for the majority of their subjects, who ended up going to Uni..! They are typically the ones you find working in HMV, Staples, Tesco et al.

Let me get this straight, I have nothing against Uni, I can see that we need to have people going to Higher Education. When it comes to A-Levels/BTECs I think that the BTEC could be seen as a better all rounder (if people took off their blinkers!), but neither is greater than the other in terms of educational achievement.

1) I was referring to where you said "not as good/useful as an A-Level" (taken from your post)? But you left out the very next part, where I said there are exceptions..

2) There's a reason why the majority of people do A-levels though. In my opinion, A-levels show academic ability far better than a BTEC does. Not saying BTEC's are pointless because they're not, but in terms of academic ability I still think A-levels are much better.

3) This I agree with. I think most people go to university now just because its the normal thing to do, when many of them do not need it and may not even be 'good enough' for it. University is definitely not the only way to go, and it does not always offer benefits even if you get a good degree.

In terms of educational achievement as a whole, I agree to them being equal. But purely from an academic point of view, I believe A-levels are better. However, I do agree BTEC's could be seen as a better 'all-round' qualification, as it is certainly more useful for more vocational things. Whereas A-levels is purely academic.

I think that if somebody wishes to go down the 'academic route', then A-levels are the best way. If they wanted to do something vocational, then BTEC's/apprenticeships are better.

On point 2 I would be inclined to agree (having done both!). Glad we agree on the Uni side of things. It's late so I'm off to bed, take it easy :smile:
By the OP's logic, A levels are crap, they don't prepare you for uni like Access Courses do.
Reply 92
1) I was referring to where you said "not as good/useful as an A-Level" (taken from your post)? But you left out the very next part, where I said there are exceptions..

2) There's a reason why the majority of people do A-levels though. In my opinion, A-levels show academic ability far better than a BTEC does. Not saying BTEC's are pointless because they're not, but in terms of academic ability I still think A-levels are much better.

3) This I agree with. I think most people go to university now just because its the normal thing to do, when many of them do not need it and may not even be 'good enough' for it. University is definitely not the only way to go, and it does not always offer benefits even if you get a good degree.

In terms of educational achievement as a whole, I agree to them being equal. But purely from an academic point of view, I believe A-levels are better. However, I do agree BTEC's could be seen as a better 'all-round' qualification, as it is certainly more useful for more vocational things. Whereas A-levels is purely academic.

I think that if somebody wishes to go down the 'academic route', then A-levels are the best way. If they wanted to do something vocational, then BTEC's/apprenticeships are better.

A levels are simply of higher quality academically, and are of a better standard than Btecs. There is a reason why Eton, Harrow and Westminster make their students take A levels, and why the majority of students at Cambridge and Oxford are from an A level background. It surprises me how many posters wish to imagine differently and argue a losing battle otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93

I cant see a plumber being of any use when applying for a job at the telegraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the mezzil
A levels are simply of higher quality academically, and are of a better standard than Btecs. There is a reason why Eton, Harrow and Westminster make their students take A levels, and why the majority of students at Cambridge and Oxford are from an A level background. It surprises me how many posters wish to imagine differently and argue a losing battle otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really think you need to read back on this thread if you think those for the BTEC are losing the battle. Those for the A level are simply insulting the BTECs and failing to prove anything that they're saying, just pulling 'facts' out of thin air as an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I cant see a plumber being of any use when applying for a job at the telegraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Care to explain the relevance of the Telegraph?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they are much better academically. But there still is a use for BTEC's. People do want to do vocational courses/jobs, and BTECs are better for these than A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was simply using an example, just like you did with the plumber..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 97

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many history and english graduates work as journalists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
I really think you need to read back on this thread if you think those for the BTEC are losing the battle. Those for the A level are simply insulting the BTECs and failing to prove anything that they're saying, just pulling 'facts' out of thin air as an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How am I insulting Btecs? I am saying that they arent as academic as A levels. That's hardly insulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How am I insulting Btecs? I am saying that they arent as academic as A levels. That's hardly insulting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Btec's are the most pointless qualifications an individual can do. They do not lead to a job, and they are not suitable for preperaring for University education. Individuals should either do A levels (if you are smart) or go and do an apprenticeship (if you are not academic)."

"
If you do a Btec and do not recognise this, I pity you for your ignorance."

Just to quote your first post. I mean, I can go through all your posts if you like and extract the other bits that were insulting, but I think that's enough evidence for now.

Many history and english graduates work as journalists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you failed to understand the point I was making. The constant referring to BTECs as useless and yet it's trades such as plumbing that are learnt through BTECS and/or apprenticeships. Without these, there wouldn't be any qualified plumbers, which would be a bit of an issue for you if you suddenly had plumbing issues, wouldn't it?

I'm not going to find myself in a pickle because I can't get hold of a qualified English literature student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending