The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

UWE Primary PGCE 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi - I'm starting the early years primary pgce in september and I missed the keeping in touch session and haven't been able to get in touch with anyone who knows anything at UWE. Did you go? Do you know anything about placement dates or about the first placement starting on 1st sep? Do we organise that ourselves? Sory to bombard you I just havent been able to find out any information!
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by AMC44
Hi - I'm starting the early years primary pgce in september and I missed the keeping in touch session and haven't been able to get in touch with anyone who knows anything at UWE. Did you go? Do you know anything about placement dates or about the first placement starting on 1st sep? Do we organise that ourselves? Sory to bombard you I just havent been able to find out any information!

Hi there,
I am also starting the early years primary pgce course and I went to the meeting. Most of the information given out was the same as we were sent in the email from them. The exception to this is the information about the work experience. We have to arrange that ourselves in a mainstream school for the first two weeks of September starting 1st September. They gave us a sheet with some things to do when we are there. These experience days count as part of our compulsory days so they can't be missed. We have to email them to let them know where we are going and which year group.
We had talks from the English team and the Maths team. They went over a few things with us but nothing vitally important as most of the info was again in the email. They said about doing the audits and taking to our first meeting at the start of term and not to revise anything before doing the audits as they will teach it all but can obviously miss some stuff out if we all know it.
We went to a local school and read the book we had taken to a foundation stage child. The school was amazing! I think we probably go in there quite a bit as it's just down the road from uwe.
The third week of term is spent at uwe and from then it is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday at uwe and Thursday and Friday in school until four weeks before the end of term I think when we do a block placement in school.
The first assignment is in October. They mentioned a bit about books but that is in the email. They also offered help if anyone needed it for their skills tests.
Hope that is all ok and just shout if you need to know anything else.
Reply 102
Ah thank you so much, I have to say I am a bit fed up with how hard it has been for me to find out any information about this! I guess I will just keep hounding them and maybe they will send me the experience sheet and all the details.
You have been such an amazing help. Did they give any advice about organising our own placement? Or do we just have to ring up local schools etc and explain our position?
Sorry to bother you - after the third week do UWE organise our Thursday and Friday placements or do we have to do that too?
Did you enjoy the day?
The only placement we sort out is the first two weeks of September, I am sure if you email around schools near you they will get back to you. The first two weeks of term lots needs doing with displays and sorting the classroom out so I'm sure if you get in touch with schools now you won't have trouble. All our other placements the uni sort out .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Thank you - I am not local to Bristol but will start looking around for schools. I'm going to try again on monday to speak to someone at the university. Thank you so much for helping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya I'm also doing the primary pgce in September this year and looking for accomodation! Have you found anything?
Original post by MUFC1986
Anyone got any recommendations for accommodation? I know it's early but I want to go traveling in the summer so I'd like to get it sorted before.

Hiya I'm also doing the primary pgce in September this year and looking for accomodation! Have you found anything?

Reply 107
Hi I'm also doing pgce in uwe I didn't even have an email telling me about the May meeting! Only got information today after emailing Sarah Whitehouse as was worried! I'm glad you've said the audits are just to look at gaps and not revise because I've felt really thick looking at some of the stuff on the English one lol! Doesn't seem to be much info around about the course so nice to hear from people that are on it :smile: x
Yes they said for us just to attempt them and anything we're unsure of / don't know they will offer support on so not to worry :smile:

Is anyone traveling from Cardiff / Wales ? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi , I'm starting in sept also and I have also been missed of the information list as I knew nothing about a May meeting!! luckily I have just received the joining instructions. I'm not travelling too far as I live between Bristol and Bath but I'm sure I will be up just as early as I have a 2 and 3 year old to get to nursery :smile:
Reply 110
Hi is anyone else having difficulty finding a placement for the 1st of September? All of the schools in Bristol I've spoken to so far say they have already filled their placement quota, it seems quite last minute!
Reply 111
Is anybody interested in meeting up before we start in September?
Reply 112
Original post by AMC44
Hi is anyone else having difficulty finding a placement for the 1st of September? All of the schools in Bristol I've spoken to so far say they have already filled their placement quota, it seems quite last minute!

Have you found a school yet? If not get back in touch as I could suggest some areas outside of Bristol as you may have more luck there as they won't have as many students.
Reply 113
Thank you but I have found somewhere now, thanks again for helping!
Does everyone already have their 'myUWE' username and password to register? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I don't know whether to be worried or not. I've emailed admissions but haven't had a response yet.
Reply 115
Original post by kellyjn92
Does everyone already have their 'myUWE' username and password to register? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I don't know whether to be worried or not. I've emailed admissions but haven't had a response yet.

I haven't got mine yet. I can only use uwe welcome still. I wondered whether they may do them en masse when the A level results come out and they know who is attending all their courses. Have other people received this info then?
That's a good point, that would make it after the 14th August ... have you (or anyone else) received instructions on how the uni wants our DBS and Health Check organised? Or any news on where placements are going to be? I just want to make sure I'm at the same stage as everyone else.
I received my DBS form and my health declaration about 2/3 weeks ago . Haven't heard anything since then x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, did the uni sort it out for you? Or do we have to do it ourselves? x
They sent me the DBS form which I completed and sent back to uni with relevant docs ( driving lisence passport etc ) and then the health form I filled out and sent back to the uni also. Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group or anything set up ? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending