The Student Room Group

Primary Education at UWE (3 year BA)

Hey. I’m wondering whether there’s anyone on here who is studying Primary Education at UWE?

I’ll be starting in 2024 and just wanted some more information regarding workload and timetable. I’m a mature student so will be managing my kids as well as the degree, just wanted to see what it’s currently like. I’ve attended open days and spoken to course leaders but wanted a students view if possible?

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
The DoE recently changed the expectations for PGCE course timetables and how long you're expected to be in school. So this will be very similar across all universities.

If you're on a PGCE with QTS course expect a full time job schedule.

We're expected to spend a minimum of 120 days in school to achieve QTS. On my course (at UoM) we are scheduled for 125 teaching days to allow a small amount of leeway in case of illness. But there is VERY little wiggle room.

The rest of the weeks are university based and attendance is compulsory. You can be kicked off the course if you don't have 100% attendance, for university based days you can take a day off sick of course but you are expected to have follow up paperwork to show how you are making up for missed learning.

University days at my university are generally 10am-4/5pm.

School based days are 8am-4:30pm non negotiable.
Reply 2
Original post by FeiFeiLi
The DoE recently changed the expectations for PGCE course timetables and how long you're expected to be in school. So this will be very similar across all universities.

We're expected to spend a minimum of 120 days in school to achieve QTS. On my course (at UoM) we are scheduled for 125 teaching days to allow a small amount of leeway in case of illness. But there is VERY little wiggle room.

The rest of the weeks are university based and attendance is compulsory. You can be kicked off the course if you don't have 100% attendance, for university based days you can take a day off sick of course but you are expected to have follow up paperwork to show how you are making up for missed learning.

Thank you, that's really helpful.
I'm not doing a PGCE and I'm doing the 3 year BA with QTS, but I'm expecting it to be largely the same. During open days, they were clear this is a full time expected 9-5 type of structure, but I just wanted views from people who are going through it at the moment.

Thanks again 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by ElStratford
Original post by FeiFeiLi

Thank you, that's really helpful.
I'm not doing a PGCE and I'm doing the 3 year BA with QTS, but I'm expecting it to be largely the same. During open days, they were clear this is a full time expected 9-5 type of structure, but I just wanted views from people who are going through it at the moment.

Thanks again 🙂

Ahh, I see. I am not familiar with the BA route. But I would imagine it's largely university based in the first two years and then similar to a PGCE for the final year? Unsure. But yeah, any route into teaching is very much 9-5 treat it like a job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending