The Student Room Group

Do you learn how to teach?

Hi,

This may be a bit of a silly question, but i’m genuinely considering this. I’m currently half way through my undergraduate, i also work with children on a regular basis. I love it, it’s truly one of my passions in life and i’ve always wanted to be a primary teacher.

However, I’ve been having these doubts recently about how to actually go about teaching. I know you’re provided a curriculum and all that sort of stuff, but during a post graduate do you begin to learn and understand how to explain concepts to children?

One of my big concerns are things like algebra, essays, graphs all those sort of things and I’m just wondering is it easier to understand how to explain these topics to them, i’m a mega over thinker and i think this is well it stems from!

Please help! 🥹
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by scphiexo
Hi,

This may be a bit of a silly question, but i’m genuinely considering this. I’m currently half way through my undergraduate, i also work with children on a regular basis. I love it, it’s truly one of my passions in life and i’ve always wanted to be a primary teacher.

However, I’ve been having these doubts recently about how to actually go about teaching. I know you’re provided a curriculum and all that sort of stuff, but during a post graduate do you begin to learn and understand how to explain concepts to children?

One of my big concerns are things like algebra, essays, graphs all those sort of things and I’m just wondering is it easier to understand how to explain these topics to them, i’m a mega over thinker and i think this is well it stems from!

Please help! 🥹

Yes, in a PGCE you will study pedagogy - this is more effective in a Uni-led PGCE where placement sare in blocks.

A couple of examples: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/pgce-primary-campus-based-5-11

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/course/pgce-primary/
Reply 2
Original post by scphiexo
Hi,

Please help! 🥹

Of course you will learn to teach. That said, there are two sides to it. There is the theory but it is the practice where the skill comes. I think it takes 3-4 years to truly master basic teaching. I am in my 7th year now and hope to put in place a new methodology for teaching a particularly tricky element of my subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending