The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Are Good Manners Taboo in Today's Business World?

Have you noticed a theme about manners and etiquette lately? There seems to be a question about the importance of polite behavior. More and more people are asking:

Are good manners a thing of the past?
Is it important to be nice?
How do you spell "respect"?
What difference does it make if you know which fork to use?
What is all the fuss about a firm handshake?
If I am good at my job, what does it matter how I dress for work?
The list goes on, and I am sure that you could suggest a few questions of your own.

Good manners and an in-depth knowledge of business etiquette are the key to personal and professional success. Some people seem to forge ahead without any polish but the most successful ones understand how important it is to treat clients, colleagues and total strangers with courtesy and respect. Those people are the ones who ultimately prevail.

Not only does adding polish build profits, it's good for your health. When you engage in acts of kindness, you actually feel better because your brain releases those wonderful endorphins that increase your well-being.

It doesn't take more time out of your day to be polite. Knowing the rules of etiquette can guide you through awkward situations, impress others, make people feel comfortable and increase your bottom line.

The rules of etiquette are always changing and evolving, but the basics still hold true. Be kind, courteous and respectful, and you will reap the benefits.

Take time to be kind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending