The Student Room Group

UK Hindus are appealling for recognition

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5167332.stm

After watching the video i also think that some communities probably put more into the country but get less recognition and from the above article it clearly shows quite a few Hindus dont like to be termed as asian. What does everyone else think of this??:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Amusing how if members of your community commit terrorism and march around threatening people and demand all sorts of things you get recognition, funded and listened to, but if you're peaceful, industrious and non-threatening, no-one bothers. It's like the government is rewarding a lack of integration and threatening behaviour. And the best at that are muslims.
Technically they ARE Asian.

Should someone born in Nigeria be offended if they're called African? :smile: :rolleyes:

What "special recognition" do they want? Special laws like the Muslims? :confused: :p:
Reply 3
What kindof recognition do they want? They're on the news now, is that enough? What a weird greivance to have.
Amusing how if members of your community commit terrorism and march around threatening people and demand all sorts of things you get recognition, funded and listened to, but if you're peaceful, industrious and non-threatening, no-one bothers.

When have there ever been terrorist attacks in the UK carried out by Hindus? The 7th July bombers were Muslim.
Reply 5
Akhoza

After watching the video i also think that some communities probably put more into the country but get less recognition and from the above article it clearly shows quite a few Hindus dont like to be termed as asian. What does everyone else think of this??:biggrin:

What do they want? MBE's, Knighthoods?
Reply 6
Akhoza

The term hindu describes someone of indian origin, india is in asia. Therefore hindus are asians, whether they like it or not.
Mister Cairo
When have there ever been terrorist attacks in the UK carried out by Hindus? The 7th July bombers were Muslim.

I think that is what the post you quoted was getting at :smile:
Reply 8
I just think that Hindus, Muslims and Sikh are vastly different communities and they are all unfairly categorised under the same banner as Asian
Reply 9
love2learn7
Question to English person "what are you?"

Answer: Im English

Question to Indian person "what are you?"

Answer: Im Hindu.................. ??

I guess people ethnically asian are more religious and put religion before nationality:hmmmm2:
Reply 10
The thing is that Hindus want to be indentified separately from Muslims. White people will see an Asian person and automatically assume they are Muslim, regardless of whether they are wearing traditional dress or not. Hindus are proud of their identity and are getting tired of being mistaken as Muslims.
Also, to those who ask 'what to they want'. Here's an example. Muslims get buried in cemetries within 24 hours. Hindus meanwhile, have to wait weeks even months.
Just because Hindus don't believe in terrorism to make their needs known.......
Mister Cairo

Yes, I said that. Muslims bomb and threaten and get special groups set up and their demands listened to. Hindus do none of the above and get ignored.
It's a bit silly I think. It's like when Africans and Caribbeans come to the US and say "I'm not black, I'm Jamaican." It's just a way to distance themselves from a group that is not highly looked upon in the US--African-Americans.
It's the same thing, "I'm not Asian, I'm Hindu."

Hindus are Asian. Jamaicans are black. Work to change the negative stereotypes instead of giving them merit by looking down upon members of your racial/ethnic community.
I am a Hindu, and at first glance I would think it odd what they are asking for. However, I did a bit of research, and I think I understand them.

The statistics for the Hindu community are grossly out of synch with those of other communities in the UK that are classified as Asian. In addition while many measures and overtures are meant to be targeted at Asians as a whole, they tend to focus disproportionately at the Muslim community.

At the same time, the UK has created 'muslim awareness days', funds a muslim council of Britain, consults Muslims on matters of government, and allows for relative ease in the construction of new Mosques. However no such things occur with the Hindu community in the UK, leading to a sense that as long as Hindus are grouped with asians, they will fade into obscurity.

EDIT:To sum it up in a simple example. I doubt that Israelis and Palestinians would want to be classified and categorised toghether. The same problem occured when German Jew Refugees and Germans were classified and interred toghether during the early parts of World War II as enemy aliens.
Reply 14
Vinod Popat

The youth will become militant if the authorities don't address their needs

Great. :rolleyes:
Reply 15
SolInvictus
I am a Hindu, and at first glance I would think it odd what they are asking for. However, I did a bit of research, and I think I understand them.

The statistics for the Hindu community are grossly out of synch with those of other communities in the UK that are classified as Asian. In addition while many measures and overtures are meant to be targeted at Asians as a whole, they tend to focus disproportionately at the Muslim community.

At the same time, the UK has created 'muslim awareness days', funds a muslim council of Britain, consults Muslims on matters of government, and allows for relative ease in the construction of new Mosques. However no such things occur with the Hindu community in the UK, leading to a sense that as long as Hindus are grouped with asians, they will fade into obscurity.

And I think this is a great credit to the Hindu community; that they can come to the UK, contribute positively to society and the economy while at the same time maintaining their religion and heritage WITHOUT the need for special recognition.

That they can have pride in this achievement is reward enough.
Howard
And I think this is a great credit to the Hindu community; that they can come to the UK, contribute positively to society and the economy while at the same time maintaining their religion and heritage WITHOUT the need for special recognition.

That they can have pride in this achievement is reward enough.

This isn't a matter of special recognition. This is a matter of Hindus being lumped in with groups with which they have little to do. This is no different than Palestinians and Israelis being lumped toghether, and being targeted and associated with the actions of the other group.

Hindus don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, they merely don't want to be on the same hand.
Reply 17
In which case Sikhs have a right to be 'recognised' in the same way.
Sikhs are actually covered by existing race discrimination law (along with Jews), so I guess they are recognised, in some ways, as being different.
JonathanH
Sikhs are actually covered by existing race discrimination law (along with Jews), so I guess they are recognised, in some ways, as being different.

I thought Hindus were covered under that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending