The Student Room Group

Adult volunteer in the Army Cadets OR Air Training Corps

I posted before about the medical for the Army Cadets. Subsequently I have been also considering the ATC. There seems to be quite a lot of overlap. Apart from the obvious (aviation) I was wondering if any one knew of the other differences between the two organisations in terms of volunteering. There were certainly a lot of benefits (in terms of qualifications) with the ACF although that certainly wouldn't be a good reason for getting involved alone. Thanks
Reply 1
I am an adult volunteer with the atc
most of the lessons we teach are based around aviation but practical wise we vary from fieldcraft to rock climbing and everything inbetween.
The air cadets are the only cadet force that cover everything even sailing if your into that.
Whats your background?
There is no medical just a crb check
and if you want to go into uniform then you can claim pay for some of the time you commit.
hope this helps
Reply 2
That sounds good. I saw an advert for the ACF which is how I became interested. I was concerned about the ACF medical because I have been on anti-depressants in the past.

I am quite sporty and I'd like to help out with the hockey and other sporting activities. I wonder if this is done more on a regional level rather than on your average parade night.

I've read about the organisation and I think it sounds amazing. I am always entering competitions to win flying lessons but usually forget about it because it is so expensive.

Although I didn't have time to join the ATC (wanted to from age 9) due to having 2 horses and competing internationally, I always admired the organisation and the smart uniforms as a teenager.

Looks like the same organisation award the same qualifications as for the ACF - not that it's a reason for joining for itself. Still nice to build up your own 'adult type awards' (I'm just a big kid really).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Depends a lot on the other people at your unit. As with any organisation, the members can be excellent or they can be prone to petty cronyism and absurd politics. Go along to both your local options and see who you get along with. The calibre of the kids will be broadly the same, the activities you can get involved with will be broadly the same.
Reply 4
That's the impression that I am getting :smile:
Reply 5
Quite late a reply I know, but there isn't a huge difference between the ACF and the ATC. Both offer similar things but in different ratios. The ATC has a particular focus on aviation and the ACF focusses more on fieldcraft (though we do a lot more besides). The ATC get a blue uniform, the ACF get an MTP uniform (which I find particularly comfy).

There is no actual medical required to be an instructor in the ACF. Some counties go rogue and ask for one but I never quite understood why. All that should be required is for a GP to sign a form saying you are fit for service and you are in. Having been on anti-depressants in you past should not affect you in any way.

I don't know if you have made a decision yet but if you have any questions about the ACF feel free to ask. I have been an instructor for almost 6 years now.
Reply 6
Thanks. I am already a BTEC public services officer and keep all the books for my squadron and CVQO send them directly to me, so it's a bit late to go back now. I went to my local squadron and they were extremely nice and said my 'face' just seemed to fit well and be what they needed. I feel like I've been there for ages. It's a crazy to think it has been such a short period of time.

Thanks for the kind reply.
I was an Army Cadet and have friends in the ATC and I always thought we were better. :P

Might be worth popping over to www.armycadetforce.com/forum. Lots of cadets and adult instructors, mostly ACF but also a few CCF, ATC and sea cadets.
Reply 8
I'm an instructor in the ACF and have also been on meds for depression

Our county has a medical for all applicants but it's nothing major, I mentioned my history to the doctor and there's been no mention of it since, so I'm guessing it's not a problem!

I'm not sure on ATC, but the ACF have paid for me to get my D1 licence, so many first aid quals, adventure training stuff and tons of others!

If you like going out, getting dirty and all that then I'd highly suggest the ACF I was a cadet when I was younger and coming back as an adult has undoubtedly helped in regards to jobs etc

If you want to ask anything I'm open to whatever, and I'll do my best to answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by 66mellor66
I am an adult volunteer with the atc
most of the lessons we teach are based around aviation but practical wise we vary from fieldcraft to rock climbing and everything inbetween.
The air cadets are the only cadet force that cover everything even sailing if your into that.
Whats your background?
There is no medical just a crb check
and if you want to go into uniform then you can claim pay for some of the time you commit.
hope this helps

Not true. This also extends to the Sea Cadet Corps.
Reply 10
Original post by Harpoon
Not true. This also extends to the Sea Cadet Corps.

Think his point was more that anything you can do in ACF/SCC or CCF you can do in the ATC, which also does more besides. So the things you would stereotypically associate with the Navy or the Army you can do with the one allied with the RAF.

But really, they all cross over.
Reply 11
Thanks everyone. Just got my first job interview in a while and I really think it was due to what I've been doing with the ATC for the past three months.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Think his point was more that anything you can do in ACF/SCC or CCF you can do in the ATC, which also does more besides. So the things you would stereotypically associate with the Navy or the Army you can do with the one allied with the RAF.

But really, they all cross over.

You can do the same in all of them, but the key thing is the proportions. You will never do the amount of field training in the ATC that you would do in the ACF - there are only so many hours in the day!
You can do the same in all of them, but the key thing is the proportions. You will never do the amount of field training in the ATC that you would do in the ACF - there are only so many hours in the day!

There are only so many weapons and AT instructors available....
Your comment on ATC do everything isnt accurate as the SCC do offer aviation courses as well as all the sea bound courses.

Quick Reply

Latest