The Student Room Group

Switching course/uni on results day?

So I've been thinking about uni life recently, and I've had some questions...

I've got my offers for university, Pharmacy at Medway, Bradford, and Keele. Probably going to firm Keele. However, I was thinking, if I get the grades that Keele ask for, AAB/ABB, would it be worth taking a year out and applying to 'better' unis, i.e Russell Group unis as I'd already have the grades that they want? Also, if I were to get AAB, would it be possible to get my application cancelled at Keele and apply to other universities/courses on Results day? I was thinking that if I actually got the grades that Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham etc. wanted, wouldn't it be worth calling up on results day, or would I have to cancel my application for that year and apply again?
Reply 1
Original post by GSmith19901
So I've been thinking about uni life recently, and I've had some questions...

I've got my offers for university, Pharmacy at Medway, Bradford, and Keele. Probably going to firm Keele. However, I was thinking, if I get the grades that Keele ask for, AAB/ABB, would it be worth taking a year out and applying to 'better' unis, i.e Russell Group unis as I'd already have the grades that they want? Also, if I were to get AAB, would it be possible to get my application cancelled at Keele and apply to other universities/courses on Results day? I was thinking that if I actually got the grades that Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham etc. wanted, wouldn't it be worth calling up on results day, or would I have to cancel my application for that year and apply again?

Places are likely to have already been filled so you might find 'calling up' on results day a bit difficult for a number of reasons. If you do take a year out you could consider attempting to improve your grades further?
Reply 2
I could do, but if I already have the grades that unis want, wouldn't it be more likely they'd give an unconditional, seeing as I'd already have the grades?
If you exceed your offers you can apply through adjustment to 'better' unis, without losing your place at your firm. Although it's impossible to tell which unis will have spaces for which courses til results day so there may not be anything available for you.

For now just focus on getting the best grades you can, then see how it turns out on results day, whether you want to reapply to go to a 'better' uni.
I could do, but if I already have the grades that unis want, wouldn't it be more likely they'd give an unconditional, seeing as I'd already have the grades?

If you meet and EXCEED the terms of your firm offer you are eligible for adjustment, where you can phone around to see if anywhere higher will take you without losing your firm. If you just meet the offer, you would have to be released from your firm on the day, which takes a long time sometimes, and by the time you are free to enter clearing, any places are likely to have gone, if there were any in the first place, which is not particularly likely.
Reply 5
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you meet and EXCEED the terms of your firm offer you are eligible for adjustment, where you can phone around to see if anywhere higher will take you without losing your firm. If you just meet the offer, you would have to be released from your firm on the day, which takes a long time sometimes, and by the time you are free to enter clearing, any places are likely to have gone, if there were any in the first place, which is not particularly likely.

Would I have to be released first, THEN ask around, or ask around, get an offer, then get released?
Would I have to be released first, THEN ask around, or ask around, get an offer, then get released?

For clearing, universities won't talk to you unless you have a clearing number, so you would have to be released first, which is why it's a risky strategy.
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
For clearing, universities won't talk to you unless you have a clearing number, so you would have to be released first, which is why it's a risky strategy.

Oh right, I understand. Thanks anyway!
there's a process for this called adjustment it's a bit like clearing but for people who did better than expected lets say you liked university A but your predicted grades weren't good enough so you a and on results day you got the grades to actually g to university A you would call university B tell them you no longer wish to go there so they will release you you then you go to adjustment just register it with ucas phone up university A and they will either accept you if they have space or deny you if not it's bit of a gamble but if you feel you#d be happier go for it.

If you do't get in just apply in September for 2015 entry
Original post by jonathanemptage
there's a process for this called adjustment it's a bit like clearing but for people who did better than expected lets say you liked university A but your predicted grades weren't good enough so you a and on results day you got the grades to actually g to university A you would call university B tell them you no longer wish to go there so they will release you you then you go to adjustment just register it with ucas phone up university A and they will either accept you if they have space or deny you if not it's bit of a gamble but if you feel you#d be happier go for it.

If you do't get in just apply in September for 2015 entry

Not correct. You don't call your firm and ask to be released so you can go into Adjustment. Instead, you ring round looking for a course you prefer; if you find one and accept it, then your existing firm is cancelled automatically. There is no risk because your firm offer still exists until you find a 'better' place.

EDIT: See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/changing_university_via_adjustment:_what_you_need_to_know

OP - last year the following 'decent' universities were in clearing for pharmacy (and therefore likely to have been accepting applicants through Adjustment): Birmingham, Durham, UEA and Queen's. This year? Who knows?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending